Order Delivery Time - Touch wood.

Just a little rant/question about an order I made mid March with Paul Money.

Mid March I put in an order (which was an insurance claim) with them to replace my broken Pro-ject turntable. At that time they really wanted me to take one of their old stock 9.1s, but I wanted the 'cheaper' new 6-perspex.

After a little going back and forth they said they would order in the the 6-perspex but that it would take 12 weeks to arrive.

After 12 weeks I gave them a call and the said they 'think' it would take another 4-6 weeks before it would arrive. So I waited.

Then today I call them back, they tell me they need to call the supplier to find out, so I call back 20min later again and 'the boss' tells me that shipment is arriving in another 3 weeks time on the 6th August but it will take processing time and customs, which I understand. But then he says it's not sure if it will be on there, that they never know what they send and that that is normal with European shipments.

And now I'm getting a little shall we say, annoyed. So I ask him if it is normal that anybody can come into his shop and order a turntable, that they then will not know when it will ever arrive? And he says, yes that is normal, it's always touch wood.

Really? I have to say I haven't ordered much from overseas through a shop here in New Zealand, but I have ordered my fair share of stuff from the USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Australia... online and that has always arrived as ordered and within a reasonable time.

I'm annoyed, is that unreasonable?

/end rant.

/thanks for listening. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks that its taken so long, but the way it usually works is the Distributor will place a quarterly order to the manufacturer, so things can sometimes be a while. One time I placed an order with a company (not Pro-ject) and it took over a year!!!!!!

It really is the only financially viable way to do it unless you want to pay ridiculous freight and clearance fees for one off items...

Thanks for putting my mind to ease a bit Neil.

ah yes, if only I had done a bit more investigation. This is my very first ever insurance claim so I thought I was doing the right thing by taking it back to the shop the guy I bought it off bought it at. Lesson learnt.

It just seems so weird that the boat can arrive here and it might not even be on there, that the guys over there just willy-nilly pack up stuff and send it over seems so odd to me.

I hope it's worth the wait and it sounds good.

Ignoring the rather ignorant and possibly libelous remarks above regarding Paul Money Hifi, as the NZ distributor for Project I'd like to make a few points clear.

We have an average lead time from Project of 4 months. This necessitates being rather smart about our ordering - we usually try and land an shipment here every three months or so.

Depending on the timing of our order sometimes stock will arrive sooner than expected sometimes later as in this case.

Sometimes a supplier will not have stock available when a shipment is due to leave and the item is then backordered until the next shipment

This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with Paul Money Hifi except that they might have possibly been optimistic on delivery times but these things are so hard to gauge it's not that surprising. Therefore other forum members having a dig at Paul Money when they know nothing about this case is truly mystifying.

The OP is being disingenuous when he states that "At that time they really wanted me to take one of their old stock 9.1s"

Paul Money did not have stock of a 9.1 turntable - we had a brand new RPM9.1X (it's a current model) and it was me who offered it as it is the nearest replacement to an RPM6.1 - unlike a 6-Perspex which is a completely different design and to be perfectly honest it's easier to sell something you have than something you have to wait for.

When we say we don't know what is on a shipment until it arrives is literally true. Until we actually see an invoice there are no guarantee's as to what's on any shipment from any supplier - we usually get the invoice a week or so before we actually receive the shipment.

You may have ordered gear from Europe before Tias, however I doubt very much it was a 20ft container load carrying around 80 different SKU's of stock as is the case with this shipment

As a final word It would have been better phoning us up to discuss this instead of complaining in so public a manner.

Tony Chandler

Interdyn

Hi Tony,

As I thanked Neil before for putting my mind at ease a bit that these things do happen, I did not know that. It still seems strange to me but I do understand now.

I was on the phone with them trying to make sense out of it but to me it seemed they were trying to laugh it off. And that is, now I understand, because it it so normal and almost strangely funny that it is 'touch wood' to see if what is ordered actually gets delivered.

But I don't think I'm being disingenuous when I said that it felt like they wanted me to take the 9.1X, it just felt really awkward me asking for something and being pushed a bit into something I didn't want. That is all.

I see now I shouldn't have used the shops name, I'm sorry about that, truly.

But I was merely asking if I was unreasonable for being annoyed with such long delivery times and having to 'touch wood'. Which after talked to with quite a few people (not online) nobody thought that made sense... hence my online question.

Tias, you're a better man than I am for accepting that response. Ok, I'd have turned them down in the first instance on a 12 week wait but IMO you have every right to feel aggrieved at this stage.

What are they thinking responding in such a manner? Are you a second rate customer because you come with insurance cheque in hand rather than cold hard cash? As a former business owner myself, I can say I never have, nor would speak to a client in such a manner - no matter my own opinion on who was 'right' or 'wrong' in any given situation.

Yes, every business will get things wrong and at times we are all guilty of making a promise we can't keep but in this situation, the 'right' thing to do is to try and make things 'right'. A simple apology goes a long way I have found. To chastise you like that was arrogant and belittling.

Was it Clerks that gave us the line 'the customer is always an asshole'. If I were you, I'd be feeling I'd just been called an asshole and I'd be canceling my order and be taking my business right away from that distributer.

I'm starting to wonder how bad I made them sound now. All in all not the best communication but they didn't make me feel that bad Hi-Fi Heathen.

Just felt like I've been getting the run around for a long time now with no real end in sight and that was starting to worry/annoy me (and it still does). What if it's not on this shipment, another 3-4month waiting? Good thing I have my lovely Logic to play records with :)

I bought the Pro-Ject of TemptMe but it came with a receipt from PM for being bought there. That's the reason I brought it back there to get fixed.

I really don't want to make PM look bad here, the awkward phonecalls (to me), lack of information (or knowledge on my part) and the really crazy timeframe is what made me worried. But if, as explained by Neil and Tony, that is normal, then I'm all good.

I am still baffled how that works, but I guess that's a little of the price I have to pay for moving to the other side of the world :)

Good on you for speaking out, and naming I say........in NZ i do believe our customer service is lacking.

Companies like their name mentioned when things go right, so why not when they go wrong - take the good with the bad!

You just need to sit down in a cafe, set your time piece and see how long before you get served.........every where else other than NZ, within minutes, someone is offering you water and taking your order, not here!

fisher X 100 A;185973 wrote:

You just need to sit down in a cafe, set your time piece and see how long before you get served.........every where else other than NZ, within minutes, someone is offering you water and taking your order, not here!

Totally agree!

Frankly I find the response from blether/Tony Chandler as the NZ distributor somewhat heavy handed, disappointing and a little threatening. This is an open forum and Tias is entitled to express his frustration just as Tony Chandler is to reply. In this case the issue seems to be very much the way in which the shop dealt with him. Mr Chandler, he should not have to contact the distributor as you suggest - it is up to your appointed dealers to work with the customer in a manner that is appropriate and mutually satisfactory. I do not think that Tias was over the top in his response nor does he deserve to be bullied online.

Posts such as this are valuable to us all and no doubt many will bear it in mind when it comes to our own future purchases.

Tim1;185976 wrote:
Frankly I find the response from blether/Tony Chandler as the NZ distributor somewhat heavy handed, disappointing and a little threatening. This is an open forum and Tias is entitled to express his frustration just as Tony Chandler is to reply. In this case the issue seems to be very much the way in which the shop dealt with him. Mr Chandler, he should not have to contact the distributor as you suggest - it is up to your appointed dealers to work with the customer in a manner that is appropriate and mutually satisfactory. I do not think that Tias was over the top in his response nor does he deserve to be bullied online.

Posts such as this are valuable to us all and no doubt many will bear it in mind when it comes to our own future purchases.

Totally agree Tim. This is about the service not the product or lead times, hence my response to shop around for better service. Heck I had a product I had paid up front for take six months to arrive but I still shop with that retailer as I wasn't made to feel a cock for asking and indeed being kept up to date without having to ask.

I believe the OP got the tone just right, he was rightly peeved at the delay and lack of answers and wanted to know if he was being unresonable. The response fron the distributer however comes across as belligerent, I can understand the general reluctance to publicize what is on it's way, but if you can't confirm a delivery date nearly six months from order for a repeat customer you should probably look at changing the way you do business.

tkr001;185980 wrote:
Totally agree Tim. This is about the service not the product or lead times, hence my response to shop around for better service. Heck I had a product I had paid up front for take six months to arrive but I still shop with that retailer as I wasn't made to feel a cock for asking and indeed being kept up to date without having to ask.

Yep - CLEAR communication is the key - how hard is it to keep the customer updated from time to time? The customer shouldn't be the one chasing things up and getting jokey 'fob offs'. Also if anything changes with the order let Joe Punter know. A while back I had an option put on a piece of kit I was buying but wasn't told it made $1000 USD difference to the price until after I ordered it! I've had some pretty long waits too and mostly with zero communication.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across belligerent. My post regarding ignorance was aimed at another member not at Tias.

At the time of writing an apology should have been put in - what I was trying to do was point out why sometimes these things take so long.

It goes to show how one shouldn't post comments while they are miffed.

Once again my apologies

Tony Chandler

Interdyn

Guest Guest

blether;185936 wrote:
Ignoring the rather ignorant and possibly libelous remarks above regarding Paul Money Hifi, as the NZ distributor for Project I'd like to make a few points clear.

We have an average lead time from Project of 4 months. This necessitates being rather smart about our ordering - we usually try and land an shipment here every three months or so.

Depending on the timing of our order sometimes stock will arrive sooner than expected sometimes later as in this case.

Sometimes a supplier will not have stock available when a shipment is due to leave and the item is then backordered until the next shipment

This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with Paul Money Hifi except that they might have possibly been optimistic on delivery times but these things are so hard to gauge it's not that surprising. Therefore other forum members having a dig at Paul Money when they know nothing about this case is truly mystifying.

The OP is being disingenuous when he states that "At that time they really wanted me to take one of their old stock 9.1s"

Paul Money did not have stock of a 9.1 turntable - we had a brand new RPM9.1X (it's a current model) and it was me who offered it as it is the nearest replacement to an RPM6.1 - unlike a 6-Perspex which is a completely different design and to be perfectly honest it's easier to sell something you have than something you have to wait for.

When we say we don't know what is on a shipment until it arrives is literally true. Until we actually see an invoice there are no guarantee's as to what's on any shipment from any supplier - we usually get the invoice a week or so before we actually receive the shipment.

You may have ordered gear from Europe before Tias, however I doubt very much it was a 20ft container load carrying around 80 different SKU's of stock as is the case with this shipment

As a final word It would have been better phoning us up to discuss this instead of complaining in so public a manner.

Tony Chandler

Interdyn

What a load of Bollocks!

Good on ya Tias--tell it like it is Some of these Importers need a good kick up the A*** occasionally!

Go Boyo

Des

blether;185983 wrote:
Sorry I didn't mean to come across belligerent. My post regarding ignorance was aimed at another member not at Tias.

At the time of writing an apology should have been put in - what I was trying to do was point out why sometimes these things take so long.

It goes to show how one shouldn't post comments while they are miffed.

Once again my apologies

Tony Chandler

Interdyn

Then maybe you should have quoted the post. If it was aimed at me I take exception to it. I only stated 2 facts and I can't see what anyone else posted that was contentious either.

Pretty pointless having a discussion if you don't mention the names. Just try to keep it objective and stick to the facts. Forums such as this are some of the few places consumers can have a decent voice and perhaps influence some change for the better. No doubt if things went too far the moderators would step in.

I respectfully disagree davyboy - good on you Tias

Just as well I have no interest in any of the particular distributors brands – I wouldn’t want to give my money to anyone who took such a dismissive stance towards the legitimate concerns of a paying customer anyway – I mean who is keeping who in business here… and as others have already said what’s wrong with a reasonable expectation of service or communication?

Imagine getting a public tongue lashing all in response to comments that weren’t even that bad anyway - it’s pretty outrageous really. We’re not talking about a bag of lollies here – we don’t pay chump change for the privilege either.