Projector advice

It's been a few years since I have actively followed the latest developments in the home theatre projector world. I am currently using a Infocus SP4805. It is a great little projector and has served me very well over the last few years, however the march of time continues and I have got the itch to upgrade.

I am after a proper home theatre projector. I have a basically dedicated room with black out curtains and dark walls, but also a short throw (just over 3 metres). The SP4805 can manage 72inches and I want bigger. More accurately I want wider as I was thinking of installing a 2.35 screen. Picture quality in this environment is my main consideration.

What is/are considered the best value for money projectors at the moment? I am on a budget, not sure what that budget is yet, but $5000 seems out of my price range. I am looking at closer to $3000. Considering I bought the SP4805 2nd hand for $400 5 years ago I am a bargain hunter at heart.

Does the Epson EH-TW5900 at $2500 seem like a good price? I am confused by Epson's model numbers. What would be the comparable US model? Plenty of reviews for the US models.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have no real interest in 3D. Haven't even tried it on the new Plasma in the lounge. So no.

I have an HDMI cable running to the existing projector, so yes.

I currently have a home made screen, but I will probably upgrade this to a new fixed screen.

The Epson's are good value for money, however most people who A/B a few in your price range will end up with a Panasonic for whatever reason. One of the main reasons, is how well Panasonic's head office is with helping sort out issues that may arise many, many years later.

http://www.panasonic.co.nz/products/home-entertainment/home-projectors/pt-ar100e/

payload;185433 wrote:
It's been a few years since I have actively followed the latest developments in the home theatre projector world. I am currently using a Infocus SP4805. It is a great little projector and has served me very well over the last few years, however the march of time continues and I have got the itch to upgrade.

I am after a proper home theatre projector. I have a basically dedicated room with black out curtains and dark walls, but also a short throw (just over 3 metres). The SP4805 can manage 72inches and I want bigger. More accurately I want wider as I was thinking of installing a 2.35 screen. Picture quality in this environment is my main consideration.

What is/are considered the best value for money projectors at the moment? I am on a budget, not sure what that budget is yet, but $5000 seems out of my price range. I am looking at closer to $3000. Considering I bought the SP4805 2nd hand for $400 5 years ago I am a bargain hunter at heart.

Does the Epson EH-TW5900 at $2500 seem like a good price? I am confused by Epson's model numbers. What would be the comparable US model? Plenty of reviews for the US models.

The Epsons are very good value for money. They always used to run at least $1000 more than Panasonics HT projectors, but a couple of years they dropped the price to compete. Today the similar models run $1000 less than Panasonics, due to this, the sales have certainly been higher than the Panny offering....

You should ensure you're happy moving from a DLP to an LCD projector also

They can have quite a different "look" to them.

The market has been dominated in recent years by LCD but that doesn't mean its a better technology.

JVC were doing some LCOS stuff that really kicked ass also

Wow thanks for all the feedback.

Good point about the change from DLP to LCD. I do really like the image from the Infocus and wouldn't mind moving to a HD DLP. How different is a DLP image from a modern LCD with good contrast etc? Does anyone know where I could actually view projectors at this price range in a controlled environment in the Wellington area?

The Infocus is very limited placement wise. I have it mounted dead center so that it uses no keystoning. As a result it sits directly above the couch and is fairly noisy, at least in the quiet parts of a movie. So I can mount a less flexible projector as long as it's quiet and can give me a larger image at that throw distance. The HD25 would give me a jump from 72" to 90" which might be suitable.

There is always more flexibility with LCD projectors over DLP which makes them much easier to integrate in the room. Lens shift......

Plus no rainbows which still DLP projectors suffer from, and fan noise.

Todays LCD projectors usually have greater contrast and blacker blacks than most of the DLP offering.

Have never had a problem with rainbows thankfully. Could only see them if I violently turned my head side to side quickly. To me the problem with the cheaper models like the HD25 and Epson EH-TW5900 is that they are aimed more for a family room environment so they are really bright and contrast etc suffer as a result. The projectorcentral.com review of the HD25 basically said it was too bright for a 80-100" screen and recommend the use of an ND filter. Other than that it sounds like great value for money.

The Epson EH-TW5900, is that the same model as the Epson EH-TW5910 in the UK and the Epson Home Cinema 3020 in the US? Trying to find reviews.

For me the projection setupand choice is multi aspect where unless you have purely dedicated theatre compromises have to be made, which leads to flexible designs like lens shift, throws, lumens and price all being a consideration.

All the 1080p models are bigger than the older 720p models, the DLP line up tend to be larger and those with motorised lens shift larger again. The Panasonics have kept their foot print down with manual lens shift. Noise can be an issue with just about every model when driven on higher lamp modes, which you more or less have to do when trying to throw larger images or super large wide aspect ratios.

You might see rainbows more on a larger screen btw.

Ive never had projector setup for accuracy seen to be too bright, but I have seen some recent units with super bright modes to deal with 3D, totally whacked colours though.

Just about all modern 1080p models are pretty good, each has a weakness and a strong point if you were being picky, although at the price point and 2nd hand some of the early units had limitations with things like throws and weak lumens.

If you like DLP stick with it. I still find LCD has a film over the picture even the latest Panasonics(although they are a huge improvement over the early ones). Rainbows has never been a problem for me or any guests I've had. I've had an Infocus 4800 then a 5700 over the past 15 years. I replaced it with an Optoma HD21 for $2k last year. I run a 16.9 120" screen. It was easy to setup. I don't want 3D till glasses are banished. The HD25 is a good buy from TLP. Most professional suppliers are negotiable on price, ring your locals.

In view of constant component upgrades and that these projectors soon devalue to nothing. I would not spend more than $3k unless money's no issue.