Oracle Delphi on TM ?????

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG. Now I'm the proud but nervous owner of the Oracle Delphi.

I will strip it down and give it the once over, install my Sumiko MMT arm with Denon DL160 and hopefully have a beautiful work of art that plays music.:eek::eek:

Cheers

Graham.:)

Owen Young;182990 wrote:
Congrats Graham.

We almost feel as if some of the pride of ownership of this classic is rubbing off on us
;)

Ha Ha. Yes thanks everyone for you input, it helped me make up my mind to go for it which I think is a good thing, although SHMBO may not agree.

Cheers

davyboy9;182998 wrote:
You're the man when it comes to TT's Graham so what do you and others think of that B&O TT on TM; any good?

I have no first hand experience with B & O turntables but they have a very good reputation and are also regarded as styling icons.

I suspect that like anything old and complicated they will be wonderful when they are working properly but a bit of a nightmare when something goes wrong. Much like the Oracle actually :D. If you enjoy tinkering like I do and like a challenge, go for it, but if you want a plug and play best forget about it. I know of at least one that wont go so the owner has made it into a very stylish wall clock !!!!!!

Cheers

Graham :)

Can I assume Graham (not me) won the Oracle?

If so - enjoy. A fabulous piece of kit imho, based on personal experience. I had a Mk 3, and loved it. Good looking, fabulous sounding, easy to look after... Superb. Take time to set it up properly, and it will reward.

gjm;183157 wrote:
Can I assume Graham (not me) won the Oracle?

If so - enjoy. A fabulous piece of kit imho, based on personal experience. I had a Mk 3, and loved it. Good looking, fabulous sounding, easy to look after... Superb. Take time to set it up properly, and it will reward.

Hi Graham, yes I am now the proud owner of the Oracle Delphi.

It arrived safe and sound but almost completely dismantled which gave me the opportunity to check everything over and then carefully assemble.

The motor bearings and the main platter bearing have been treated to a lube concoction of moly grease and 30 weight oil for completely silent operation. The suspension took a bit of setting up as the previous owner had adjusted it to suit his heavy Dynavector arm and my Sumiko is quite a bit lighter. Fortunately everything is adjustable, not just spring height but spring rate by an ingenious arrangement of winding the springs through their mounts to alter their effective operating length thus altering the number of coils in use. Clever stuff.

I discovered the Oracle logo on the switch panel was supposed to light up when the machine was turned on but the two very special mini bulbs were blown. No worries, a trip down to Jaycar for a pair of LEDs and suitable dropping resistors, followed by a bit of micro soldering and that is sorted. The only thing now not working correctly is the 45 speed. When this is selected it just ignores the switch and continues to stay at 33. I have emailed Oracle in Canada requesting a wiring diagram, hoping they respond.

It is truly a beautiful piece of engineering/art and has pushed my AR The Turntable off it's perch.

Oh by the way , it also plays great music !!

Cheers

Owen Young;183278 wrote:
:D

And the Denon rim drive...?

I have managed to prize it out of Beemans grasp to now work on finishing the plinth and send it off to Marko to apply walnut veneer. Watch this space.

Graham.:):)

Aah yes, the second one.;)

Now that we know how good the first one sounds, ( it has replaced, or displaced, the Aura in Beemans cave !) the same formula will be used to rebuild number two, and there is a very strong possibility that it will offered for sale exclusively on this forum in a month or two.

Start clearing a very large space on your hi fi stand !!!!!!:D:D

Cheers