Resolution Audio Opus 21

I have read many great reviews for this CDP and remember Hi Fi Choice had a bit of a love affair with it a few years back. This must be the third time I have seen this listing, yet no one bites.

Is it to expensive for what it is or is it over rated and therefore no one is interested? Interested in everyone's thoughts.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=576925409

Perhaps the ad and photo are little unbecoming of such a worthy but expensive CD player? It's not an unusual thing on Trade Me - lots of owners of high end gear tend to think the item will simply sell itself and are surprised and even (weirdly) annoyed or angry when that isn't the case.

Ernie;181380 wrote:
You're setting the bar a little bit high aren't you?

Ernie, having no experience with the Opus 21 are you saying they are prone to skipping or just winding up in general?

What i meant is that a lot of CD players skip. As long as the mechanism is working well it should be awesome. I am a big fan of 1704 players, but this one was far out of my budget. Not so much at the price this is going for now though. I would have been keen if I had not already bought not long ago.

When i heard the linn player in the UK over a decade ago (1702) and then subsequently the wadia players that were using 1704 I felt they were a step up from what the average joe could afford, so when I realised you could get setups similar to these (perhaps not quite as flash) at about a tenth of the price now, I jumped on it. No regrets.

The system being sold by this guy is definitely one of those and someone should seriously consider it. Even in todays computer trend, I find it quicker to serve up a disc than wait for my computer to boot up (yeah, i just need one of those computers that boots in 5 seconds).

I did not mean to infer that this system skips at all. My apologies to the owner.

Anyone serious about CD sound should consider this. It looks amazing and I would take a bet that it sounds very very good!

luckiestmanalive;181335 wrote:
Perhaps the ad and photo are little unbecoming of such a worthy but expensive CD player? It's not an unusual thing on Trade Me - lots of owners of high end gear tend to think the item will simply sell itself and are surprised and even (weirdly) annoyed or angry when that isn't the case.

Agreed. The photos are not good enough and the description is also poor. If you put some time and effort into your listings (and set realistic pricing) it definitely helps achieve the desired result.

I've listed my car on trademe on Monday night. Gave it a good clean and wax on Sunday. Planned and took my photos on Monday (not just in my driveway either). Spent an hour or so working on the copy for the listing. Sold it on Tuesday.

Job done.

Quickest i've ever done is a set of B&W CDM1's and a Marantz PM-66KI-S. Both were sold using Buy Nows by the time I had finished listing the third item (a CD-63KI-S) which took a bit longer to sell.

chilli;181408 wrote:
What i meant is that a lot of CD players skip. As long as the mechanism is working well it should be awesome. I am a big fan of 1704 players, but this one was far out of my budget. Not so much at the price this is going for now though. I would have been keen if I had not already bought not long ago...

Indeed, your initial comment was terse and did lead to some speculation. Equally, so was my jibe. It's been an interesting conversation to get to where we are now, which is what I thought you were on about in the first place, because I thought it was odd that getting a non-skipping CD mechanism should be the ONLY criteria for recommendation. :)

This is my current favourite audio gear auction on TM. Has been for a while...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/full-systems/auction-582187857.htm

Not saying it ain't worth it but his intransigence in terms of not splitting the system is odd, especially as he could have sold quite a few of the items separately already. It got a lot of interest the week it first appeared and he was considering separate offers. Then he dug his heels in. Since then....

After all how many people are prepared to spend that kind of cash in one go on a second hand system? Not many? If any