Sign in to follow this  
monoclepop

Keyword spamming

I loathe shitty trademe sellers - like this particular moron who's selling some shitty CD player, not a wadia or naim. http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=565890912

I'd love to see muppets like this get their auction pulled - by exploiting the search function they really make the site much more painful to use. I've just reported 5 of this dick's auctions as he's a repeat keyword spam artist.

For anyone considering that particular player I'd encourage you to look elsewhere: bad sellers should be run off the site.

gosh dusty, you "sound" a bit put out.

i didn't know it was against tme's rules until now. i spend a fair bit of time on that site and i have noticed it occasionally but it hasn't got to me so far.

as for "moron" - i've met some but this guy sounds like he has a couple of neurons at least. personally, language like yours gets up my nose a bit more than the use of spam in listings.

nice CD player, or it was before some messy modkateer got their grubby mitts on it.

rocl444;179836 wrote:
gosh dusty, you "sound" a bit put out.

i didn't know it was against tme's rules until now. i spend a fair bit of time on that site and i have noticed it occasionally but it hasn't got to me so far.

as for "moron" - i've met some but this guy sounds like he has a couple of neurons at least. personally, language like yours gets up my nose a bit more than the use of spam in listings.

Ah, but my language isn't ruining the search function for everyone else, nor spamming peoples email inbox via the saved search function. Sorry if my language offended you, but perhaps you could do us all a favour and try using capital letters and grammar next time you slag off someone's post.

Surely I'm not alone in my frustration with such anti-social use of keyword spamming? Or maybe no one else here uses saved searches?

My apologies for the lack of capital letters. Now if you will kindly point out the grammatical errors, I will endeavour not to make them again.

On your other point, I have 29 saved searches, and have not had any problems so far.

Re grammar: quite right, even your apostrophe was present and accounted for, ha!

Trademe has cleaned it up a lot of it in recent years - used to be there wasn't even a option to report specifically for keyword stuffing. TM edited the 5-6 descriptions to remove the keyword spam from the above mentioned moron within a couple of hours. Props.

Guest Guest

Ahem. I believe that particular "moron" happens to be a member here and I can say that, although I haven't met him, I have dealt with him and he's a damned decent guy.

Wanna be careful what you say there, bub.

sirAndy;179850 wrote:
Wanna be careful what you say there, bub.

And after reading that creepy threat I've come to the conclusion it'd be best for a mod to lock or delete this thread. I'm out.

Guest Guest

Creepy threat?!! I'm talking about making disparaging comments about people you don't know on this or any forum. You've called him shitty, a moron with a shitty CD player, a dick, a muppet - with no idea who he is or who may know him. WTF?

You're out? Why start in the first place?

dusty;179851 wrote:
And after reading that creepy threat I've come to the conclusion it'd be best for a mod to lock or delete this thread. I'm out.

The moderator has found that it's often best to let threads run and allow people to make their own judgements.

Re grammar: quite right, even your apostrophe was present and accounted for, ha!

Trademe has cleaned it up a lot of it in recent years - used to be there wasn't even a option to report specifically for keyword stuffing. TM edited the 5-6 descriptions to remove the keyword spam from the above mentioned moron within a couple of hours. Props.

I spend a lot of time on T/Me in my line of work and keword spamming is a real pain in the arse, they will take it seriously and take action if you report auctions.

Shitty is being hard on the CDP, I've not met the seller so don't know if he's a moron but chances are if he hangs out here he does have a dick.

sirAndy;179856 wrote:
Creepy threat?!!

I don't know who you are Andy, but that "better watch out bub" thing is weird and creepy, and made me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm pleased to hear I wont have to watch out for you hiding in the bushes at night.

You've called him shitty, a moron with a shitty CD player, a dick, a muppet - with no idea who he is or who may know him.

I'm judging him by his spamming - every auction he posted was in contravention of the TM terms and conditions. To me this suggests he works hard at being an obnoxious areshole, as opposed to a genuine seller making an informal boo-boo. So congratulations for rushing to white knight on behalf of a spammer - may your inbox be forever flooded with a million invitations to extend the length of your penis.

If indeed he's a member here then perhaps he would like to join in the thread (and stuff it full of irrelevant keywords). Here's hoping he complies with TM's terms and conditions in the future.

As for the CD player - clearly on some level even he thinks it'a a bit shit or he wouldn't have attempted to misrepresent it to the search function as a Naim or Wadia, :P

Michael Jones;179857 wrote:
The moderator has found that it's often best to let threads run and allow people to make their own judgements.

That just made my day.

So we all watch out for those metaphorical bodies swinging from those rather generous lengths of metaphorical rope.

I really am glad they are just metaphorical, otherwise it would be very dangerous stepping out or in with those bodies flying all over the place.

I just wish that the trolls would do that, but they seem to have very slippery metaphorical necks...

Guest Guest

dusty;179924 wrote:
I don't know who you are Andy, but that "better watch out bub" thing is weird and creepy, and made me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm pleased to hear I wont have to watch out for you hiding in the bushes at night.

I'm judging him by his spamming - every auction he posted was in contravention of the TM terms and conditions. To me this suggests he works hard at being an obnoxious areshole, as opposed to a genuine seller making an informal boo-boo. So congratulations for rushing to white knight on behalf of a spammer - may your inbox be forever flooded with a million invitations to extend the length of your penis.

If indeed he's a member here then perhaps he would like to join in the thread (and stuff it full of irrelevant keywords). Here's hoping he complies with TM's terms and conditions in the future.

As for the CD player - clearly on some level even he thinks it'a a bit shit or he wouldn't have attempted to misrepresent it to the search function as a Naim or Wadia,
:P

Dusty, the point I'm making is that the way you went about your complaint was completely out of order. If you'd used better language and attitude I and others may have been more sympathetic. People are too damned precious about bloody Trade Me.

*It's not my forum though, and as Michael said, people can make their own judgements.

You're still hung up on "Wanna watch what you say"? It was a reminder, not a threat. Seriously, grow some balls. There are kids with cancer.

(I feel guilty enough for wasting my own time on this thread.)

Oh, and I thought you were "out"?

Andy, I'm sorry for thinking you were a weird creepy internet weirdo. Sorry if my language offended.

But after reading your last post though, I've come to the conclusion that the nicest thing I can say to you is: go fuck yourself. This isn't about you, but you've charged in and hounded me since I complained about spam from this "great guy" you know. Seriously, fuck him and fuck you for attacking me over his shit. "He's my buddy - you better watch out, bub" is pretty creepy. And what grown adult follows it up with "grow some balls"? You overstepped the mark, and what you last posted is pathetic.

Here's me thinking that it'd be fun and interesting to get some light-hearted discussion going on great spammers on trademe, people who shit up the search function for the rest of us. Maybe my timing was off, maybe I was intemperate rather than funny and cynical like I was aiming for. My bad - I ownned up and regretted any offence way back on the first page. I've got to say I really regret starting this thread considering the shit-show it became - and I think that it's a shame you don't lock or delete threads mods, this baby deserved the gas chamber a page ago.

This forum does have a reputation for being really hostile to some people. I think it's sad when a member who doesn't post a lot, but has been here 7 years gets attacked by other members because of a legitimate and tongue-in-cheek gripe about a spammer on a completely different website.

I guess I'm not friends with the right clique, and going by the way your attacks on me keep piling up SirAndy, I'm quite glad I'm not. So please Andy, as nicely and gently as I can possibly say it: go fuck yourself.

Guest Guest

dusty;179935 wrote:
Andy, I'm sorry for thinking you were a weird creepy internet weirdo. Sorry if my language offended.

But after reading your last post though, I've come to the conclusion that the nicest thing I can say to you is: go fuck yourself. This isn't about you, but you've charged in and hounded me since I complained about spam from this "great guy" you know. Seriously, fuck him and fuck you for attacking me over his shit. "You better watch out, bub"
is pretty
creepy - and what grown-man weirdo follows it up with "grow some balls"? You overstepped the mark, twice.

:D Hahaha! I rest my case.

Don't get so uptight dude (that's friendly advice, not a threat) and stop misquoting me (more advice, not a threat). You could easily have started a decent discussion if you'd been a bit more measured to begin with. ;)

I of course could be wrong and if I am, I'll admit it and apologise. :)

dusty;179935 wrote:
This forum does have a reputation for being really hostile to some people.

This forum has a well-deserved reputation for being among the friendliest and welcoming places to discuss audio on the internet.

dusty;179935 wrote:
I think it's sad when a member who doesn't post a lot, but has been here 7 years gets attacked by other members because of a legitimate and tongue-in-cheek gripe about a spammer
on a completely different website

All your fake protestations of innocence aside, if you choose - as you did - to attack several forum members then you shouldn't be surprised at the hostile reaction.

Time to close this thread, methinks.