A "dpa-novis" On Adventure In The Southern Hemisphere..

Dave,

Thanks for that..mind you, with the optical sensors limited lifespan and non-replaceability, might be good reason to only power the PDM2 up when I am listening to it...mines still sounding very nice though :wink:

SETfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Thanks for that..mind you, with the optical sensors limited lifespan and non-replaceability, might be good reason to only power the PDM2 up when I am listening to it...mines still sounding very nice though :wink:

SETfan[/b]

Mark - Agreed, I do the same with my PDM 1 Series 3 unit, although that's purely because of the exceptionally bad RF interference to the TV (4' away). I also managed to buy 2 x TDA1547 chipsets from Chevin Audio - they were exceptionally good, 30 pounds for both of them, including shipping, and I got it in like 4 days!

Goran - I've sent an email off to Tom several days ago, but no reply yet.

Some bad, and good news on my part - I quit my job last Friday, it's been brewing for quite some time - doing 2 people's jobs and being underpaid 20k p.a is just not worth the stress I was experiecing, and the damage to my health. That means that I can no longer afford to live where I currently live (unless I get a job in the next 2 weeks), or even remain in Sydney, as I refuse to share with strangers, and my few friends are all married with children in their own homes, so I can't share with them ;-) So, that means packing all my gear up and re-locating back to my parents residence. Despite the negatives of all of that, it will mean I can properly set my hi fi system up again ;-) My friends all think I'm a very negative person, there's proof that I do look at things positively :) Moving back home should allow me to become a full time student as well (photography), so that I can eventually move fully into the photography field and ultimately set my own business up and be my own boss.

Best wishes everyone,

Dave

PS I probably won't bother getting internet connectivity at my parents, it's time for a break from it all.

Wow, that's some big news dpastern. Good luck with finding a new job. Even better, good luck with starting your own photography business.

I could imagine it would be impossible to live/rent in Sydney with just unemployment benefits to support you.

Keep in touch if you can.

Wow, that's some big news dpastern. Good luck with finding a new job. Even better, good luck with starting your own photography business.

I could imagine it would be impossible to live/rent in Sydney with just unemployment benefits to support you.

Keep in touch if you can.[/b]

Thanks for the good wishes. If I can talk my ex employer into putting 'voluntary redundancy due to relocation of the role' instead of voluntary resignation, I can avoid getting punished by Centrelink, and possibly could remain in Sydney, although money would be so tight it wouldn't be funny. All of this is a possibility, I see no reason for my ex employer to be so nice. In reality, I should be suing them for damages to my health due to the role, and I should be taking up the matter of being severely underpaid with the relevant government body. Today's society is such a pro employer, government led protection racket, it isn't funny. The whole workplace legislation needs to be completely re-written to balance the scales accordingly, not the crap that Howard's government has been spewing out for the past several years. At the moment it's 90/10 in favour of employers imho, that needs to dramatically change. Sadly, Rudd has no interest in being for the people either, and since it's a 2 party political horse race, this country's employees are screwed. Sorry for the political comments, but it makes me so angry that employees have next to no rights these days, whilst employers have so many pieces of legislation protecting the poor darlings. That said, the whole legal system has to be completely re-written as well, at the moment only the rich and powerful can afford to protect their legal rights, the rest of us mere mortals cannot afford to hire a lawyer to protect our rights. So much for an equal legal system, it's anything but.

Ahh...I'm ranting...

Dave

• 10 months later...

Welcome back Goran :D That board doesn't let us view pics if we are not members ... could you upload the pics here instead?

Thanks Kiethicon7.gif! Shall try later to upload some pics where You recomend me, if they are of interest.

Have had a busy year (private matters) and that's the reason why haven't visit my aussie friends - do hope that's everything is all OK with you all!

Best Reagards // Göran

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Göran

I live in Dorset in the UK

Adrian

Hello Adrian

I was just curious as to whether you are still living in England. After 1991, did you work further within the Hi-Fi, or did you do something completely different?

Best Regards // Göran

Goran,

A belated welcome to SNA from me as well. I also have a friend who is from your homeland. He is a big fan of the German made Magnat speakers.

He often cooks for us - we love your traditinal dishes.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your welcome, Andythiing

What cook your Swedish friend of traditional American food? Unfortunately, I have never heard Magnat, so them, they will be happy to tell you more about-do you know / he has to Swedish Sonab / Carlsson?

Best Regards // Göran

• 4 months later...

Deltec Precision Audio Limited is back and will be launching a Stereo Pre Amplifier and Mono Power Amplifier in the new year.

Adrian

Hello Adrian

I was just curious as to whether you are still living in England. After 1991, did you work further within the Hi-Fi, or did you do something completely different?

Best Regards // Göran

• 2 weeks later...

The original Deltec Precision Audio was started by Adrian Walker and Robert Watts while both were studying at University of Cardiff. Adrian left the company in the early 90s and the company ceased trading sometime later. Mr Watts then formed DPA Digital.

There is no connection between Mr Watts and the new business.

Adrian

Edited by adrianw

....... The DPA PDM 2 unit is, I believe, very much like your unit, but with more detail, deeper bass and a larger soundstage. From memory, your series 2 unit is a one box unit, and shouldn't have any optical issues. The Series 3 unit, and PDM 2 are multi box affairs, and the optical connections do go - Tom has told me that they were manufactered with a 500 hour life expectancy, which I find shocking. ....

Cheers,

Dave

Any LED based optical unit which fails inside 500 hours isn't faulty. They most likely cause is the design of the driver circuitry around it allowing far too much saturation current through the device. The sad truth is this model probably went into production with the design mistake and wasn't corrected or recalled. Just think about it for one minute. If the unit was left on continuously the 500 hours of lifetime would be reached in just under 20 days. If the device failed within that period the vendor (under Australian retail law) would have to repair, replace or refund the item. And as had been stated the optical unit can't be replaced because there aren't any spares carried. How many dealers would bother carrying this item if this were the case? Not many I'd suspect.

Design flaws get through the loop all the time. I had a Sony HT processor which had a 0.1 Watt surface mount resistor which during operation was dissipating close to seven times its power rating. Needless to say it eventually went to heaven taking a couple of transistors with it. Sony (without question) replaced the entire circuit board at no charge even though it was out of warranty as it was plain to the average tech the design was faulty and failure wasn't due to reasonable ageing or fair wear and tear.

Cheers,

Alan R.

• 8 months later...
Wonderful news Adrian!

Isn't it aussi-mates!?

M.X-mas//Göran

ps. A. -You forgott the link: http://www.deltecprecisionaudio.com/

Deltec Precision Audio is up and running and has a Stereo Pre Amplifier, Mono Power Amplifier, RF Noise Mains Filter (called Power Plus), Mains Cable (Power Slink) and Black Slink, a reference standard interconnect. There will be a review of the Pre and Power in the November issue of HiFi News (http://www.hifinews.co.uk) and they are featured on the front cover.

Adrian