Another which TV thread!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joker97;186802 wrote:
waiting for Christmas sales on the Panasonic 65" ST60 series

Probably best to wait a little longer after that when ST60 will be on runout with the new year's stock coming in. But then you could wait for the new model to be on sale?

• 2 weeks later...

fish_head_soup;187642 wrote:
is this a different model to the one people are quoting at the $2000 mark elsewhere in this thread?

Yeah, I think you may be mixing last year's ST50 with this year's ST60.

The RRP of the 60" ST60 is $3499 so I doubt it will be anywhere near $2000 anytime soon.

I'm going to assume you are weighing up the S60 vs the ST60, so the following will apply to those plasmas. Things are a bit different with LED.

Blu-rays for the most part are encoded in 24p (23.976fps).

When a display is 24p capable, it means that it can reproduce that frame rate cadence. 24Hz is too slow for comfortable watching, so they add additional still frames and refresh the display at a multiple of 24. In Panasonic's case, they run at 96Hz (96 / 24 = 4). Pioneer used to use 72Hz.

When a display doesn't support 24p sources (like the S60), it has to choose a refresh rate it can use. Usually 60Hz. The problem is that 60 isn't perfectly divisible by 24 and so the frame rate cadence of 24p has to be broken. This results in what is commonly known as 3:2 pulldown. This uneven cadence can result in judder that can be quite jarring, especially in panning shots.

96Hz can have its own set of problem, but I find it the lesser of the two evils.

The trick is to establish which works for you. With a display like the ST60, you have the choice and simply switch 24p off on your blu-ray player/playback device if you don't like it.

On the S60, you have to put up with the judder.

yeah i was looking at the s versus the st. thanks for that explanation. the 50 inch ST60 is $1999 which is alot of money for me. but if i have to put up with jitter, even at say $1300-1500 i'd be pretty gutted.

i don't need 3D or smart tv. really its only tv/movies/and soon a game console which will also play blue rays. the gaming is for the kids so not serious stuff.

i've heard that plasma is the way to go under $2500ish so thats why i'm looking at plasmas.

In this land TV's or displays have to deal with 24, 25, 30, 50, 60 and of course you have PC hz rates aswell.

In this land DVD media tended to be based upon PAL 576i 25, HD media can be a mix, but most common now as farenheit indicated is 1080p24

TVs' especially the cheap ones tend to be focused upon the region common source, for us PAL576i25 and HD in the form of 720p & 1080i25/50

They can possibly except the other rates such as 24,30, 50 and 60 but depending on the brand and model can limit the abilities so that the higher end and higher priced models do better with alternative sources.

You get what you pay for, expect no less and no more.

• 5 weeks later...