Save yourself $150

Has Luigi got one ?

The latest MY11/12 is nice, way better than the soggy MY08/09/10, but still has too much dopey stuff on it like Si-drive and DCCD.

Feels more like a low-rent Legacy than STI.

Best drivers' STI's were the MY06 S204 and MY07 STI RA-R.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car Dudes,

Since this is MW's thread & has morphed into a Subaru thread, this might be of interest...

I was visiting a veteran audio pal a fortnight ago & I spotted that he had swapped his long time STi for this new version....

Attached files 179435=10490-IMG_6933a.jpg

Car Dudes,

Since this is MW's thread & has morphed into a Subaru thread, this might be of interest...

I was visiting a veteran audio pal a fortnight ago & I spotted that he had swapped his long time STi for this new jobbie....

179435=10490-IMG_6933a.jpg

Jap import STI circa 08 ?

Or ex-UK as that style of wheel is not usually seen on a GR-series STI.

JDM has a 2.0 engine compared to the NZ 2.5.

Similar power etc. but the smaller engine revs much more freely and has better breathing, the 2.5 is strangled and runs out out puff way before the redline.

Following Squids post, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that it's generally accepted that beyond 150k - all bets are off as far as big end bearings, turbos, radiators/heads and drivetrains... Dog & Lemon don't seem to rate them, nor many mechanics I've spoken to. Sweet as hell to drive but the advice is i hear is always to sell at 120k... My experience has also borne this out and I had to make the depressing move over to Toyota. :eek:

haha my MY00 STI only had 75k on when I sold it and bought a used Golf GTI.

Herman the German is just as fun, almost as quick point-to-point, far better built/designed, cheaper to run and maintain, more versatile, less headaches.

In all fairness I've seen plenty of turbo Soobz with over 100,000km on original bits, as Neil said, good maintenance is the key.

Mind you an 08 STi with 110k that a friend was looking at felt loose and baggy with significant wear and tear on the interior.

Owen Young;179443 wrote:
I believe it came from Wingers new in Akld about a year ago, but a 3yr old model, the last of them he said.

The 17" wheels and smaller door mirrors (NZ got 18" and huge mirrors that block vision) point to a JDM.

Wingers do on occasion import late model JUCs.

My '94 TS wagon has nearly 280K on the clock, always been serviced, I'm hoping for at least 300k before it bites the dust. The greasemonkey is the key tho', when the clutch started slipping the sooby agents in Gizzy told me it wasn't worth fixing, my man did the job well, and will continue to get my custom.

As with anything with moving parts - maintenance is the key. There must be thousands of Subys with 200+ on them on NZ roads, it's not that they will, it's that there's a higher than average probability that they will. And again, I love em. I was shopping for a run-around dunger late last year while my vehicle (not a Suby) was having a heart transplant and the 'bargain' yards around Wellington were stuffed to the gunnels with Subys in the 140-170 range and they just weren't moving... It took me until my second test drive in one to click to what that faint 'tick-tick' on start-up was...