Sign in to follow this  
jigsaw

Jazz - traditional and mainstream

Any jazz fans out there? I appreciate jazz from King Oliver to pre-bop but

mostly the stunning jazz that was around in the 1930's.

Fan here. Almost all my jazz is exclusively by African American artists with one or two from Scandinavia.

I got into the great Afro American artists with a smattering of Gil Evans. Mainly from my vinyl days, but also the Scandanavians from the ECM label like Gabarek.

I really like the guys who broke through with some of the more adventurous forms like Corea, Redman and co. The Eighties was a fertile time of discovery for me. Big ups for the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Blew my mind. Sadly, the key member, Lester Bowie passed onto the next dimension in 1999.

My lovely father played records by the swing bands; I was struck by Artie Shaw but found the relentless rhythm sections tedious. In my teens I discovered Charles Mingus, Paul Bley, Paul Motian, Soft Machine: jazz became and remains my preferred genre, the one I still voice my system for.

Crikey, forgot about the likes of the new UK crowd; The Bad Plus, Neil Cowley Trio, Vijay, Iyer OC DC et al.

Then there is Lounge Music...a subset of jazz, of course. My lounge is full of Lounge.

I guess it's like trying to start with Beethoven's late quartets, but I once tried starting with Hard Bop :eek:. I could never understand Jarrett when I was young but it suits my biorythms better now. Some say it's not really Jazz but I have a bit of time for jazz vocalists & a lot of time for Louis Armstrong. I enjoy Bill Evans.

St.Noah are you there?

Like many, I started out with Kind of Blue and then started exploring more of Miles. Around the same time I often listened to a dixie band that a friend liked and often recorded.

Some of the wonderful woman jazz vocalists came next. Ella, of course and the incomparable Billie Holiday. Her Songs for Distingue Lovers remains one of my most played albums.

1990s newcomers Joshua Redman (sax) and Christian McBride (bass) were firm favourites. I've lost track of both in subsequent years, other than McBride was playing bass with Sting - it's hard to make a living in jazz. Joe Henerson's trio of album celebrating jazz composers (Jobim, Strayhorn, Miles) were heavily played.

The ECM label can be a delight. Over the past decade I've enjoyed albums from Tord Gustavsen, introduced to me by former AudioEnz contributor and occasional forum member Craig Fenemor. We've even run an interview with Mr Gustavsen.

I was lucky in having a friend who was very knowledgable and enthusiastic about jazz and willing to hare that enthusiasm. It's daunting to enter the world of jazz without some guidance.

Currently, The Evil Flatmate hates jazz, agreeing with that saying that jazz is "different musicians playing different tunes at the same time". So we have an agreement: I don't play jazz when she is in the house and she doesn't play Christmas music when I'm in the house.

I also started off with Miles and Coltrane etc. courtesy of the World Record Club.

Along the way I got sidetracked by the electro sounds of Herbie Hancock, Jean-Luc Ponty etc.

Don't forget NZ's own Nathan Haines.

Good tunes, well recorded.

Checkout the cover of his last album, the guy's an audio buff too.

That's a Linn Sondek and Beard valve amp in the background.

:D

178712=10342-Nathan+Haines+-+The+Poets+Embrace+-+album+cover.jpg

are you there?

Yup, consider my left forelimb duly elevated. Will be hosting the bFM Jazz Show on Sunday (as Def Jim) - send me a text in the studio! (or phone 309 3879)

Been a fan since the mid-70's & around 70% of my LP/CD collection is jazz. Not so much into the Big Band/Trad era however, much more ardent about the 60s/70s/80s & beyond (ie right now). I reserve a special predilection for guitarists eg Marc Ribot, Marc Ducret, Sonny Sharrock, David Gilmore (not the Pink Floyd dude), Joe Morris, Jef Lee Johnson etc.etc. My latest fave rave is the new Rudresh Mahanthappa CD 'Gamak' feat. David Fiuczynski on the frets - listen on Sunday for a first sample.

I could prattle on indefinitely but am too time-poor.

Jazz is where it's at - 'nuff said.

Jim

Came to Jazz a bit late but have been buying a lot over the last couple of years - mainly the classics, Miles Davis and Coltrane etc. It helps that there are some great repressings on vinyl - some of the remastered 45 rpm stuff is phenomenal!

Michael Jones;178710 wrote:
Currently, The Evil Flatmate hates jazz, agreeing with that saying that jazz is "different musicians playing different tunes at the same time". So we have an agreement: I don't play jazz when she is in the house and she doesn't play Christmas music when I'm in the house.

ha ha - reminds me of a certain bank commercial on at the moment ...

I think that the 'classics' in jazz are bit before Miles and Coltrane. Jazz has a long tradition and history that subsequent musicians built on. The fun is in exploring back further. If you like Coltrane-have you tried Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young.? If Miles is your bag then what about Bobby Hackett or Ruby Braff to go a step further back. If you are into guitarists have you listened to Charlie Christian?

If you are thinking 'old fashioned' then you -with all due respect-have a problem.

jigsaw;178741 wrote:
If you like Coltrane-have you tried Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young...what about Bobby Hackett or Ruby Braff to go a step further back.

hmmm... don't know these guys - but have you ever heard of Leftover Crack!? :D

jigsaw;178741 wrote:
I think that the 'classics' in jazz are bit before Miles and Coltrane. Jazz has a long tradition and history that subsequent musicians built on. The fun is in exploring back further. If you like Coltrane-have you tried Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young.? If Miles is your bag then what about Bobby Hackett or Ruby Braff to go a step further back. If you are into guitarists have you listened to Charlie Christian?

If you are thinking 'old fashioned' then you -with all due respect-have a problem.

Quite willing to further investigate the dusty halls of Jazz - but let's face it most people will start with the more well known artists in the canon. Last time I looked they were concidered 'classics'.

Hi-Fi heathen;178744 wrote:
hmmm... don't know these guys - but have you ever heard of Leftover Crack!?
:D

We have now :D

I detest hard bop, but enjoy much of the ECM catalogue. Favourites include the Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Charles Lloyd, Eberhard Weber, and Nik Bärtsch's Ronin.

DodgyConnection;178762 wrote:
Quite willing to further investigate the dusty halls of Jazz - but let's face it most people will start with the more well known artists in the canon. Last time I looked they were concidered 'classics'.

Speaking of the 30s, reminds me... Fats Waller gives quite a bit of pleasure, gotta love that stride piano, popular 'jazz' at the time...

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youtube]