Sign in to follow this  
gortnipper

I just dont get it...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard these Naim DBL speakers running in 3 or 6 amp active mode?

Or the old Linn Isobariks running in active mode?

I've read about the Linns but never had the chance to hear any

Gary.M;178069 wrote:
I think this system is a complete success for Naim. They modularise their offerings, and create a cult like community, and the many modules means you can keep drip feeding your habit... ultimately spending very large amounts of money.

Yes, I think you have nailed it.

Gary.M;178069 wrote:

Perhaps he has realised what has happened and is going to "KISS" it goodbye (if you get what I mean)

Lets hope so.

DodgyConnection;178090 wrote:
Never liked Naim or Linn's approach of a thousand different add-on upgrades to each component - it's like the Readers Digest of Hi-Fi...

DC

On the flip side, I never liked having to sell (usually at a substantial loss) and then buy "better" gear with the long term hope that I'll want to keep it.

The Naim DAC for example (which is first class as it is in it's standalone state) has three power supply upgrade options.

The downside? Rack space.

The purchase appears to have been made with no sense of fun involved. Most of us like to think of getting the best of different brands or make them ourselves but this person believed in the synergy. I wouldn't knock Naim gear. I don't know it so well. He could have been a collector?

Michael Jones;178094 wrote:
Publicly dissecting the motivations of an audiophile that none of us know seems a little distasteful to me.

Wisest words spoken on this thread so far...

Not a huge fan of Naim myself but I've heard a few setups that were jaw droppingly good.

Saying someone wouldn't get any joy from a system because it has the same brand of components in it makes no sense.

The joy is in the appropriate playback of the music you love.

Most of this conversation has been a genuine attempt at critiquing his system with only a handfull of posts lightheartedly speculating on reasons for selling, of which even if it was due to unfortunate circumstances shouldn't be cause for offence.

I notice i posted my last script here seconds after Michael's post. I certainly wouldn't have posted the last one if I had seen that in time. Feeling of guilt overhangs. My sincere apologies to any that i might have offended, particularly the seller if he/she had to sell for unfortunate circumstances.

God only knows who the owner is, and what his circumstances are. Conjecture about how he accumulated such a stack and why he's in the process of relinquishing it can only be fodder for imagination. I agree with Michael, the taste level is questionable, but it sure is fun. Especially when audiophiles are easily one of the most idiosyncratic bunch of individuals I've ever met, in person or in virtual space.

If the owner has visited this thread, I personally offer my sincerest apologies. Nothing personal, the stack could have been all Perreaux, or all Linn.

kaka;178091 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard these Naim DBL speakers running in 3 or 6 amp active mode?

Or the old Linn Isobariks running in active mode?

I've read about the Linns but never had the chance to hear any

Yes. In two systems.

Hooster;178129 wrote:
What was it like?

Well, (being political) it wasn't my cup of tea.

paul300b;178167 wrote:

Another pricey system for sale...

Hmm - "will not separate" probably equates to "will not sell"!

For a moment I thought there were 2 Plinius 250s in the mix, but there is only one. Someone I know has heard the big B&Ws off a Plinius 250, and also off 700 watt Classe monos, and thought they responded well to the extra reserves.

That guy has been around on tm for a number of years, and this is not the first time he has 'tried' to shift a GNC-modded Wadia, or B&Ws for that matter. Surprise - none of them sold. One of his previous alts was mickey24 - now inactive, removed, or whatever - but he frequently seems to be offering something gloriously expensive for sale. And not selling it.

40Hz;178172 wrote:
That guy has been around on tm for a number of years, and this is not the first time he has 'tried' to shift a GNC-modded Wadia, or B&Ws for that matter. Surprise - none of them sold. One of his previous alts was mickey24 - now inactive, removed, or whatever - but he frequently seems to be offering something gloriously expensive for sale. And not selling it.

Yea Mikey 24 didnt he have a big home theatre system for sale?

That rings a bell. Some time back, I think he was trying to move two SA-250s at once.

Maybe the Naim owner is looking to upgrade.

"Will not separate" means that he will not separate himself from the stuff. If he was serious about selling he would he selling the items separately. In any event, I don't think the price he is asking is reasonable.

Piling all the stuff together should mean a discount versus each of the items sold separately. It does not look like he sees it that way.

Think you lot have missed the point completely... this Jedi has obviously spent quite some time on the dark side and now is looking for redemption :D:D:;)

Any amazing system.. would love to hear it!