I just dont get it...

the whole flat-earth thing. I tried to, years ago. It hurt. I tried the cables a couple years ago. Not a good fit.

And this...wow.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/full-systems/auction-551442826.htm

Sorry, I know this will likely offend a couple of you, but I mean no offence. I just dont get it...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sing it out loud, everybody:

C-H-O-I-C-E

Find out what it means to me!

Obviously, if you have tons of money to spend on hifi gear then all power to you... at some point on the wealth scale $100K or more must be a small enough portion of your income for it not to be insane!

I'm more interested in philosophical approach than in the $$$.

Committing entirely to one brand offers synergy, where the manuf has done much of the matching legwork & an easy solution.

However, there is the school of thought that there's potential advantage in not repeating the same style (biases/flavour/distortions) of component twice in one system.

Yes the P7 doesn't seem to have the presence to take charge of such a behemoth of a system ;)

Intrigued that "active" speakers need 3 ordinary amps too

I assume "active" only means not using crossovers, rather than really self powered

You sure need a lot of boxes to build a top end Naim system, would be interesting to hear it

kaka;178051 wrote:
Intrigued that "active" speakers need 3 ordinary amps too

I assume "active" only means not using crossovers, rather than really self powered

My view of it is that Active means amps directly connected to spkr drivers - which means that the xover/filtering ends up in front of the amps. It's a trade-off, going one way or the other.

kaka;178051 wrote:
You sure need a lot of boxes to build a top end Naim system, would be interesting to hear it

I think this system is a complete success for Naim. They modularise their offerings, and create a cult like community, and the many modules means you can keep drip feeding your habit... ultimately spending very large amounts of money.

Perhaps he has realised what has happened and is going to "KISS" it goodbye (if you get what I mean)

Owen Young;178058 wrote:
My view of it is that Active means amps directly connected to spkr drivers - which means that the xover/filtering ends up in front of the amps. It's a trade-off, going one way or the other.

Gotcha

I was thinking of something like Quad 11L or 12L active speakers which include builtin amps for each driver. Ditto the active ATCs.