Tannoy D900

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=528203502

I think this lady is being very optimistic. (Great speakers)

From my research of Audiogon, past Trademe auctions, Ebay etc, it appears that D500's sell for around $1.5kNZ, D700's $3.5 to $4k, & D900s for $5 to $7k, so Im surprised that she has a $15k buy now & $14k reserve (previous auction petered out at just over $4k). For around $15k you can buy a Tannoy Prestige Kensington, or the Definition DC10T (basically an up-dated D700) & have change in your pocket.

She would be better to list at start as reserve $5k and see how it goes.

Opinions?

I would think she would be better off listing with a start is reserve of $5k & see what happens..

Ernie;174956 wrote:
Cut to the widow cursing her husbands' memory, "but this gear holds it's value very well dear. Think of them as an investment..."

So true:D.

Someone has no idea of the value of things. In her first auction, a few guys gave her some good advise but she/he didn't take it.

I also doubt her Husband paid $20k for them 6 years ago either. If he was a 'HiFi Guru' we all know Gurus never pay list price for new gear & always expect to pay well below 2nd hand prices on used gear. If he paid more than $5k he was stupid. Bet she cannot prove his purchase price either.

While these are great speakers, and I would love to own them, Im not paying $15k for a speaker that's that old & priced more than its new replacements!

'As is where is' sale tag on equipment usually means that something is wrong with them & immediately people will pay well below 'bluebook' value anyhow.

Ernie;174981 wrote:
Totally. This is to audiophiles what car crashes are to rubberneckers.

Aargh - just don't use the "audiophile" word, Ernie

Actually your sentiment is bang on the money

I do actually know that there were no new ones for sale in NZ 6 years ago. The only D series left for sale in a shop as new were a pair of D700s at EHF Newmarket, late 2004-early 2005.

But really, who cares, she will eventually figure out what the market thinks they are worth.