Sign in to follow this  
steven11553552760

What was your first stereo.

A crippled fountain amp (the channels sounded different, but both worked) and some prolab speakers. Both third/fourth/fifth/whatever hand. Plugged into the front aux out of a computer CDROM drive, that was powered by (and duct-taped to) a computer power supply.

That's not counting the Fisher Price "my first karaoke radio" or the little plastic boom box my mum bought me to replace it.

A Technics Turntable with A Leak Varislope 20 pre power and Kef concerto spekers.No concern over cables although the Leak had a leak specific connection between the pre and power.

Brian Ono;174251 wrote:
A Technics Turntable with A Leak Varislope 20 pre power and Kef concerto spekers.No concern over cables although the Leak had a leak specific connection between the pre and power.

A leaky connection? :P

Garrard turntable with a mm cartridge, Akai cassette deck

Perreaux integrated amplifier 30watts (first effort by Peter Perreaux Napier) bought for $100 as it was damaged on the face.

Home built ported loudspeakers with 12in Richard Allen wide range drivers from David Reid.

This never stopped working and this system was hammered for years with parties in the seventies. Once I shifted to Auckland in the eighties I got involved in the upgrade treadmill and changed components, spending a fortune in the process.

MCS 3223 receiver was the first piece of stereo kit I bought new. I was 15 and they gave me a credit acct at JC Penny!

http://img1.etsystatic.com/004/0/6989677/il_fullxfull.353312697_hfk8.jpg

Aiwa AD-1250 cassette deck which I got used.

http://www.hifidatabase.com/static/gallery/9/6909-aiwa_AD-1250.jpg

And some home made speakers I got from somewhere I cant remember, with two 6" PA drivers each. It would go loud. My bedroom was on the bottom level of a split level house with its own entry to the back yard. My mom would pound on the upstairs floor with a baseball bat when she got sick of Van Halen and Van Halen II.

gortnipper;174264 wrote:
My mom would pound on the upstairs floor with a baseball bat when she got sick of Van Halen and Van Halen II.

Outstanding!!

I'm being reminded of the late 80s/early 90s when every new system from portable tape deck to mini/midi system had an absolutely craptacular built in feature that each manufacturer labeled with a unique but equally ridiculous name like X Bass or Sound Turbo or Super Bass etc which would amplify your low-end freqs way beyond all proportion and therefore somehow make your music 'sound better'...

Hi-Fi heathen;174270 wrote:
I'm being reminded of the late 80s/early 90s when every new system from portable tape deck to mini/midi system had an absolutely craptacular built in feature that each manufacturer labeled with a unique but equally ridiculous name like X Bass or Sound Turbo or Super Bass etc which would amplify your low-end freqs way beyond all proportion and therefore somehow make your music 'sound better'...

Beats still does it: "After 25 years, Dr. Dre was tired of spending months on a track only to have his fans hear it on weak, distorting earbuds. Two years and hundreds of prototypes later, Beats Studio headphones are the icons that bring you sound the way it was originally intended."

Hooster;174276 wrote:
Beats still does it: "After 25 years, Dr. Dre was tired of spending months on a track only to have his fans hear it on weak, distorting earbuds. Two years and hundreds of prototypes later, Beats Studio headphones are the icons that bring you sound the way it was originally intended."

With all due respect to a stayer in an industry awash with Johnny-come-latelys, i wasnt aware Dre was renowned for his ear...eminem through 'HiFi' headwear is still eminem, no? And what did Snoop so famously rap all those years ago? 'all I wanna be is a muthafuking hustla'. Uh-huh.

(this coming from a guy who owns a Numark TT due almost entirely to his love of Babu/Beat Junkies/Dialated Peoples)

gortnipper;174264 wrote:
MCS 3223 receiver was the first piece of stereo kit I bought new. I was 15 and they gave me a credit acct at JC Penny!

Aiwa AD-1250 cassette deck which I got used.

And some home made speakers I got from somewhere I cant remember, with two 6" PA drivers each. It would go loud. My bedroom was on the bottom level of a split level house with its own entry to the back yard. My mom would pound on the upstairs floor with a baseball bat when she got sick of Van Halen and Van Halen II.

So, did you then play the Ramones.. 'beat on the brat with a baseball bat'... even louder?

My first amp was a multi channel amp, Marantz SR73. Hence my handle... Marantz.

Luis;174279 wrote:
So, did you then play the Ramones.. 'beat on the brat with a baseball bat'... even louder?

At that point in time, it was probably Baba O'Riley or 2112. The Ramones, Joy Division, The Fall all came to me a few years later...

Contrary to my first post, the Sanyo unit I mentioned was luxury compared to the Sanyo walkman I used to drive a 6 inch speaker inside a small Public Address style box. This was via the headphone socket; about 0.5watt!

My aversion to headphones goes back to when I was about 13 years old!

Can't remember model no, but my first stereo was a Panasonic similar to this. I think I've still got the amp/receiver packed away somewhere in the cellar, speakers long gone.

174323=9693-panasonic_stereo.jpg

I originally had a Lenco TT plugged into this, but that was a loaner from my father. The first TT I bought for myself was a Hitachi HT-65S – sold decades ago to fund purchase of a Roksan Xerxes.

174323=9694-2HT-65SL.jpg

Being reasonably new to this hifi malarchy, I put together my first system only a couple of years ago. It consisted of a Pioneer a-a9 driving B&W DM110is and used the inbuilt dac coupled with an old laptop running foobar and asio4all as a digital source and an ancient PE turntable with a shure jukebox-grade stylus. The pioneer was actually pretty good and hung around through quite a few system iterations (probably because it had quite a nice phono-stage).

I bought my system at 17.

Sansui AU101 amp.

Richard Allen 12 inch Full Range speakers.

Akai Turntable, modded with ADC magnesium Headshell, and Dampened platter.

Hi-Fi heathen;174278 wrote:
With all due respect to a stayer in an industry awash with Johnny-come-latelys, i wasnt aware Dre was renowned for his ear...eminem through 'HiFi' headwear is still eminem, no? And what did Snoop so famously rap all those years ago? 'all I wanna be is a muthafuking hustla'. Uh-huh.

(this coming from a guy who owns a Numark TT due almost entirely to his love of Babu/Beat Junkies/Dialated Peoples)

Have you heard Dre 2001 through a decent setup?? It's seriously well produced. IMHO ofcourse. "Dr. Dre – executive producer, performer, producer, mixer"

Cant comment on his headphones though, no idea what they sound like.

Sorry to de-rail the thread, just had to mention that.

JVC mini component unit with a Sanyo TT. 1982.

First actual hi-fi: fast forward 1995, one pair of Quad IIs unmodified, Counterpoint Pre and a Marantz CDP.

Thoughts: Then - honey all the way. Now - molasses and syrup.

Currently dieting. Atkins high protes.

AntonyG;175432 wrote:
Have you heard Dre 2001 through a decent setup?? It's seriously well produced. IMHO ofcourse. "Dr. Dre – executive producer, performer, producer, mixer"

Cant comment on his headphones though, no idea what they sound like.

Sorry to de-rail the thread, just had to mention that.

Admittedly, the comment was a wee bit tongue in cheek. Not the first name that springs to mind in a discussion of high fidelity sound I guess, is what I was intending to put across.

I certainly don't believe that 'well done hip hop' is in any way oxymoronic - I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Now, back to the thread at hand...

Various mono systems with 8MX (later C8MX) speakers, Dulci amps & Philips reel to reels, but the first real stereo was homebrew amp (Linsley Hood design), homebrew speakers (Philips AD1256, AD5060 and AD0160) and SP25 with 9TAsomethingorother cart. Speakers were huge and LOUD and had tie dyed cloth fronts.

I started very mono. My Dad's hobby was doing up valve radios, so we always had lots of them in the house for radio listening, then he build me a little crystal set with a hearing aid ear piece. There was also the 'house' wind up 78 gramophone, and when I was about 12 my grandad (bless 'im) had a wee win on the horses and bought me a flash blue plastic mono dancette record player - the one with the speaker in the lid, :cool: chewed up 45's and 33's. :eek: Then when I was about 15, I saved my paper round and other odd job money and bought a 2nd hand 3 in 1 of an unremembered brand. It had 45, 33 a radio tuner and a cassette recorder. And separate speakers so I started listening in stereo. A slippery slope started. :)

First stereo circa 1982. Amp , David Reid Electrokit kitset amp with a massive 30 rms per channel. Sonofone 2 way speakers 10 inch and 2 inch, Techinics SL b21 turntable, ortofon ff15mk2.

Sad thing is the amp and speakers is used as my garage system today. Source is a netbook for pandora or save CD's.