Plinius SA250.

I'm inclined to agree with you that recent Plinius sales have been overvalued, as I would normally only be prepared to pay up to one third of the new price for any item on TradeMe, especially if I couldn't try it in my system. That said, the Plinius 250 combination with my Quad 2905s is as near to audio perfection I have come to, and I would have happily paid more to secure it. Only a few of the SA series turn up on TradeMe, which I believe is a testament to their reliability and sound , although there has been a bit of a glut in the last couple of months. And yes, there are plenty of quality amps to be had in that price range but if the Plinius suits your system then you have to bid on them when they turn up I suppose. I cannot think of another 250 watt class A amp turning up in this price range - I think the last class A Krell on TradeMe was well over ten grand.One consideration with Plinius is that, being locally made, servicing and parts should be readily available - although I have yet to test this theory.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, I never ever say sa250 MK4 sold new at $5250. There're quite a few SA250MK4 in Trademe in last two years. Some sold around 6k, some sold around 5.5 to 6K.

Please do not forget, here is

Forum --> Marketplace --->TradeMe auctions

All price should relate to TradeMe price. Make sense?

It will be interesting to see whether it goes any higher in the next couple of hours. We really are very fortunate to have at least two world class hifi amplifiers manufactured here in NZ. I can still remember going to the Perreaux factory sale in Napier many years ago when they hit the skids. Everything went, and the auctioneer was not versed in hifi. My engineering mates walked away with boxes of high quality transformers for a few dollars: chassis, soldering irons - the works. The reference system also went under the hammer - the auctioneer described the Linn Sondek with top quality arm/cartridge as a "record player" and it went for a paltry few hundred dollars. No-one was interested (and I already had one).

I never quite clicked with the Perreaux sound for hifi, although in the eighties I toured the country with a band with a Perreaux amplified PA rig and that really kicked some **** and was totally reliable under all sorts of stress.

hopeman;173208 wrote:
...Forum --> Marketplace --->TradeMe auctions

All price should relate to TradeMe price. Make sense?

Huh? Are you suggesting if something sold for X on Trade Me that predetermines what price anyone should sell it for here privately in the AudioEnz Marketplace forum?

:confused:

hopeman;173247 wrote:
No, when halo88 raise this thread, it's in Forum --> Marketplace --->TradeMe auctions,

so I just point out something I have been seen in Trademe, in this case, it's price of SA250MK4.

I know it's complicated then rocket science...

Oh, right - I'm with you now...

...although it is in this forum because it's bout a TM Auction - so I think it's in the right place really...

The seller must be happy - over $5500 now and still some time to go. Just goes to show it only takes two to make an auction, if either of those two guys had not been interested it would be sitting at well under five grand. I wonder if someone is sitting, watching and waiting to jump in at the last minute.... Ah well, at least it makes my Monday night interesting :D

Just as I thought - the hidden bidder waiting to come out at the end. A useful tactic which seems to work. I often wonder why some people declare their hands so early and simply ramp up the price in a prolonged bidding war.

I agree with you, Stuzzo, the twelve month old 301 for an extra $750 would seem to be a preferable option (judging by the reviews, as I have yet to hear one). The bidders on the 250 supposedly wanted the class A option. Interestingly, most of the people I know who own or have owned an SA100 or SA250 seldom use the class A option.

I used to own a Plinius SA-100 and always thought that it sounded a little better in class-A mode. But most of the time it stayed out of class-A, as most of the time I had music playing I was fiddling in the kitchen, reading a book, writing a review, playing online etc. And then the benefits of class-A didn't mean a lot.

This is what I would have thought. Why wouldn't you get the one with a more modern design, the slightly higher power rating, and the capacitors that are only a year old? What am I missing here?

There aren't photos, so you'd want to pick up and inspect, but that's par for the course surely.

Stuzzo;173260 wrote:
I would have thought the SB301 would be a more tempting buy.

OMG

I cant believe a MKii went for that kind of money

At best its an ok amp(no offence) I find the SA series quite sterile (my opinion obviously)

I have a set of Accuphase Monos sound much much better

The mkiv is a different beast seperate power supplies etc and Im amazed that there is such a loyal following on an old design

Just my 2 cents worth

On my 250 everything seems to sound a little tighter in class A - however, that does not necessarily suit every record to which I listen. The change is similar to upgrading the power cables on the Quad 2905s. But yes, I can hear the change - as I could also with my SA100.

I had a SA100 MK3 for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, when I moved on I sold for what I paid suggesting I didn't pay too much but I ended up with a better sounding amp and a little change in my pocket which would suggest they are overpriced. :confused: