Selling my baby's ;-)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too_tall;169897 wrote:
Ah BD, you need to buy something like my system if your after the uncompressed dynamics and bass slam
:P

Not sure where you will find something like that for semi reasonable money though.

Come on T_T....

Flop it out mate! Show us what u got :eek:

Ernie;169900 wrote:
A decent headphone setup will leave you with money to pass onto your kids.

Not something you can share with your friends and family easily. Specially with kids coming home with head lice!.

And whilst HP's can give detail and full range reproduction, I have never gelled with the lack of room integration they offer, nor with the lack of the ability to "hear with your body" in the lower octaves. Good for lower cost hifi reproduction or in situations you have to be quiet, in my opinion.

Intereasting day must say a good audiofile m8 of mine sugested i changed my room around for a play well sh%t what a huge differance increadable if only i could leave it like this :( my room has been doubling the bass output from these monsters and turning them around has just made them sound so so so much better :D but sadly her indoors wont give the green light to this setup ;) so someone is going to score an increadable set of speakers. I have heard them in a big room and they were amazing and with this set up they are sounding almost as good as in that room.

Attached files 170076=8958-speakers 001.jpg 150354=6306-speakers 002.jpg 170076=8959-speakers 003.jpg 170076=8955-speakers 004.jpg 170076=8956-speakers 005.jpg

Bluedog, have you tried different amplification? That could clean up the bass department significantly. Regarding the triamping, your still getting the amplifiers to send out full range signals ( although the load is not the same ), the amplifier channel driving the tweeters is still outputting the same sort of voltage swings that the woofer channel is outputting, and still drawing on the same power supply which has been loaded by the woofer channels... Also your still getting the signal molested with via the crossovers just as much. There can be benefit to triamping, but in my experience, the only time you get significant benefit is to get rid of all those inductors, capacitors and resistors between the amplifier and the speaker driver itself. You also get far better efficiency of the system as a whole.

Remember that often what is actually really making the load difficult for an amplifier is not the speaker driver/cabinet interaction, but the crossover points causing all sorts of funny loadings on top of the driver/cabinet load.

Whilst I am a fan of Perreaux amplifiers, I would not personally have the 6160 driving my main speakers, but thats a subjective thing. What I would suggest to you is that if you do love your VAF's so much, you could well regret the sale in a few months time, and then where will you be?

What alternate amplification have you tried? And have you considered bypassing all the crossover circuitry and running active crossovers with your 6160? All options which you should consider at least. Doing this will allow you to tune each drivers range to suit your room, so you can tap the bass back a little to help balance things out. Or maybe bring the midrange a little further forward in the mix - its simple, and can make a significant difference.

webbed;170090 wrote:
That looks much more like it! You will need to get the eqpt on racks and sorted before you can refine the position etc.

Hi webbed yes it is much much better they can now breath a bit better thats for sure, but it can't stay this way doors pool projector etc etc but it was worth a play never the less :-)

too_tall;170092 wrote:
Bluedog, have you tried different amplification? That could clean up the bass department significantly. Regarding the triamping, your still getting the amplifiers to send out full range signals ( although the load is not the same ), the amplifier channel driving the tweeters is still outputting the same sort of voltage swings that the woofer channel is outputting, and still drawing on the same power supply which has been loaded by the woofer channels... Also your still getting the signal molested with via the crossovers just as much. There can be benefit to triamping, but in my experience, the only time you get
significant
benefit is to get rid of all those inductors, capacitors and resistors between the amplifier and the speaker driver itself. You also get far better efficiency of the system as a whole.

Remember that often what is actually really making the load difficult for an amplifier is not the speaker driver/cabinet interaction, but the crossover points causing all sorts of funny loadings on top of the driver/cabinet load.

Whilst I am a fan of Perreaux amplifiers, I would not personally have the 6160 driving my main speakers, but thats a subjective thing. What I would suggest to you is that if you do love your VAF's so much, you could well regret the sale in a few months time, and then where will you be?

What alternate amplification have you tried? And have you considered bypassing all the crossover circuitry and running active crossovers with your 6160? All options which you should consider at least. Doing this will allow you to tune each drivers range to suit your room, so you can tap the bass back a little to help balance things out. Or maybe bring the midrange a little further forward in the mix - its simple, and can make a significant difference.

Hi Too tall no i haven't played with alternative amps as yet no spare money to spend after marriage split :( so down sizing was my best option i thought at the moment. probably live to regret it but such is life. I would love to have tried a 350 perreaux on them but just can't go there at the moment:o