Recommended speakers for the Leben CS300/X/XS

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb question alert !If it's possible to tweak a speaker to make it more sensitive and not change it's essential sound signature why wouldn't you always make it more sensitive?

One of the reasons it does not have the same grip as a larger powered amp is impedance variation in the bass - Mike thinks he can improve that with a plug on tweak to the crossover. It doesn't improve sensitivity - it just makes it an easier to drive for amps like SET's and the Leben. It is not worth the added expense for your usual amps so Mike has/will have it as an add on tweak. Since I plan to use it with the Leben I have ordered the tweak.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Got one coming my way next week if you wanna bring yr ML-1s over. Bring your 300 too and we can have a Leben party.
Now that is a date! Let me know when it arrives.

Great to hear guys. Be sure to keep us posted. I will be going down to Mikes Tuesday and can report on how the ML3's sound with the Leben's independently of Mikes assessment. Fun to be had by all I think.

Thanks

Bill

Avantgarde Acoustic, Musical Affairs Grand Crescendo, Tannoy Monitor Red, Gold & Silver, Tannoy Prestige Series, Ocellia, Audio Note, PHY, Klipsch Heritage Series, Harbeth C7ES-3 & P3ESR

Let get churning :nana

Yoh K, Well whatever you do Don't get those DeVores that Dealers insist on Demoing them with--I'listened yesterday to a full Leben 600/Auditorium/EMT/ setup in the Devore room here at CES and frankly

Blaaah--Peter Snell (RIP) did that design properly at least.

Willco

Hi Guys

I posted this in the ML3 thread but thought it belonged here as well. Heard the Leben on the ML3 References. WOW. Love it. In a word organic with a very articulate mid-range. Only a very slight issue with the bass compared to the Mac 501's - no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Listened to Dianna Krall, Harry Belefonte, Clapton Unplugged and some other stuff I can't recall. All terrific. I was sitting there with my eyes closed carried away with the enjoyment of it. It did not have the grip and effortless power of the Mac 501's, nor did it have the bass grip and relaxed clarity of the NAKSA, but it has what I can only describe as an organic realism especially in the midrange. Now I do not want to slight the other amps I have mentioned, they were the two best I had heard previously, but I think for the type of music I listen to I prefer the Leben. I have left it down at Mikes because I don't think my current DAC is really up to the quality of this amp and didn't want to take the PDX with me because Clay has not completed Mikes PDX yet and I really believe people should hear the ML3's with the Level 2 PDX. But Mikes PDX should be completed soon and I can get both of them in my system.

Thanks

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I have looking for suitable speakers for my new Leben CS300 XS too. I can't to audit any kind of high sensitivity speakers in my town, because it based on the world's end in Russia. Can anybody say about matching Leben CS300 with ZU Essence, new Zu Soul Superfly or with WLM Diva?

Thanks!

Russian bear.

O.K., Danter. Thank you! I know what you talking about. Here is a dealer of Harbeth in Russia (http://www.techno-m.ru/index.php?prod=98&detail=185). Harbeth is very good speakers and it has been made by engineers, but not those homo-minded designers of modern long & tall speakers. Harbeth remind me my childhood when I see it. Be honest, I'd like to buy a couple of Harbeth Monitor 40.1 and burn it up with Leben CS-660P Separate Power Amplifier. May be... one year later. The

pleasure is not so cheep. But you are right - Harbeth have a bit of trust anyway! ????? ???????? ?? ??? ???????? ??????????. Cheers from Russia!

Hi Russian Bear

The Leben does not require high sensitivity speakers. As Danter says they sound great with Harbeths and on my Lenehan ML3's they sound great as well. No haven't heard any of the speakers you mention. What I can tell you is the manufacturer of the ML3's is working on a crossover compensating network to perfectly match to the Leben. As pointed out later perfectly is not the best term - better would be a more accurate description.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hi Bill,

Just out of interest, how does one design a crossover compensating network to perfectly match a specific amplifier? I mean, what characteristics are "perfect" for the Leben and why?

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Russian Bear

The Leben does not require high sensitivity speakers. As Danter says they sound great with Harbeths and on my Lenehan ML3's they sound great as well. No haven't heard any of the speakers you mention. What I can tell you is the manufacturer of the ML3's is working on a crossover compensating network to perfectly match to the Leben.

Thanks

Bill

Just out of interest, how does one design a crossover compensating network to perfectly match a specific amplifier? I mean, what characteristics are "perfect" for the Leben and why?

I think that is better directed at the maker rather than me. But small amps do benefit from easier loads. 'Perfectly' match is the term I used to describe it and is probably not the best description - better would undoubtedly be more accurate.

Thanks

Bill

It was real production dispute between old school engineers and young fashion designers of narrow and high form speakers at nineties of the last century. The question was "where to put low frequency driver?"... Finally the subwoofer was born like separate component.

So speakers that looks like Harbet Monitor 40.1 are "correct engineer's" speakers. All other narrow and high speakers are the result of creativity asexual designers from the world of fashion.

Russian bear.

Hi bhobba! ????????????!

Unfortunately Lenehan audio have no dealer in Russia. That speakers are absolutely unknown here.

Speakers like Harbeth 7es3s are too small for my bear's den. May be it sounds great with Leben CS300 XS in not too big rooms.

What's about Harbeth Super HL5?

Still, my gut feeling that should have high sensitivity speakers.

Take a look at speaker's specification. Amp. suggestion for Tannoy Prestige - from 30W+, Harbeth from 25W+.

Thanks!:(

Hi bhobba! ????????????!

Unfortunately Lenehan audio have no dealer in Russia. That speakers are absolutely unknown here.

Speakers like Harbeth 7es3s are too small for my bear's den. May be it sounds great with Leben CS300 XS in not too big rooms.

What's about Harbeth Super HL5?

Still, my gut feeling that should have high sensitivity speakers.

Take a look at speaker's specification. Amp. suggestion for Tannoy Prestige - from 30W+, Harbeth from 25W+.

Thanks!:(

Hi Bear, I suggest you try Romy's good sound club for the information you seek. It sounds like you and Romy have a lot in common, almost uncannily so. You're not related by any chance ?. No, I guess not, the chances of that would be astronomical. Anyway he's a font of audio knowledge. A sort of a Guru ( although he despises that term ) but really I can't think of any other appellation. Well actually I can but the meaning might be lost in translation.

Regards Calypso.

Unfortunately Lenehan audio have no dealer in Russia. That speakers are absolutely unknown here. Speakers like Harbeth 7es3s are too small for my bear's den. May be it sounds great with Leben CS300 XS in not too big rooms. What's about Harbeth Super HL5? Still, my gut feeling that should have high sensitivity speakers.

Lenehan speakers are sold direct - they don't have any dealers:

http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/

Amplifier power is an interesting thing - check out:

http://www.ellisaudio.com/wattsratings.htm

From what I can gather the Leben synergises well with all Harbeths - I think it has something to do with their beguiling cabinet aided midrange. I seem to recall from somewhere, but don't hold me to it, that someone wrote to Leben and asked them what they recommended and it was Harbeth. I would suggest Lenehan since to my ears the Leben with it sounded fantastic - and another guy who was there at the time was equally impressed. But you are taking a risk buying unheard without having a dealer. I think Harbeths are probably your best bet and the super HL5 does look a good choice.

Anyway good luck in your search.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hi Bill,

Cheers,

Stuart

I wondered about this myself. My understanding has always been that valve amps compare poorly with SS amps in the bass region because of their low damping factors. So I can only assume that Lenehan is somehow increasing the bass impedance of the ML3s. Which raises the question - will Lenehan now be altering the spec of the crossover for the ML3s?

Edited by bronal

I wondered about this myself. My understanding has always been that valve amps compare poorly with SS amps in the bass region because of their low damping factors. So I can only assume that Lenehan is somehow increasing the bass impedance of the ML3s. Which raises the question - will Lenehan now be altering the spec of the crossover for the ML3s?

Its an add on tweak you can order separately. One is already available for ML1's. As explained earlier in the thread I have ordered one.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Not sure Bronal, seems strange to me also. Increasing the bass impedance would surely decrease efficiency? Guess Mike will have to chime in with the answers...

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Bear, I suggest you try Romy's good sound club for the information you seek. It sounds like you and Romy have a lot in common, almost uncannily so. You're not related by any chance ?. No, I guess not, the chances of that would be astronomical. Anyway he's a font of audio knowledge. A sort of a Guru ( although he despises that term ) but really I can't think of any other appellation. Well actually I can but the meaning might be lost in translation.

Regards Calypso.

Hello Calipso! I'll visit Romy's site. But I really don't know who is Romy. Must be he have an engineering education as I do.

Thank you!

Best regards.

????????????! Bear,

Australia is now 35 degrees above zero ( Celsius ). Vodka OK with ice but premium beer much better for body cooling.

Alas Romy has no engineering education but only strong belief that high IQ is sufficient. Formal training is like Bear trap ( sorry ! ) for frontal cortex and auditory perception. Nonetheless famed designers like Vladimir Lamm are in awe of him.

Best regards, Calipso.