Sign in to follow this  
dunnoguit

Bad deal on trademe

Several days ago I bought seveal cds I thought were quite collectible on trademe. The seller described them as very very light marks and socalled 8.5/10 condition. But after receiving them, I found they were actually in poor condition, the marks are long and everywhere, not to mention two jewel boxes are broken. I'm more disappointed after contacting the seller who didn't offer refund. So what can I do to get my money back?:confused:

Leaving negative feedback is about all you can do, and then you run the risk of the seller doing the same to you. Other than that, put it down to an expensive lesson learned. I suppose you could "pay him a visit".......

Contact the seller again and then, if they are still being pricks, place extremely negative feedback.

IMO this is an obligation you owe to other traders; however you are bound to get retaliatory negative feedback.

For future trades you may want to choose traders who only have positive feedback, and use PayNow for payment.

Personally I'd like to be able to have one TradeMe account for sales, and another for purchases.

The only negative feedback that I've ever recieved has been when I've been the buyer.

Luckily I've been able to get those negative feedbacks retracted, at a cost.

The jewel boxes may be a result of transit,The scratches although visable may still allow the discs to be played,if they wont play its time to get ugly.

If the cds don't play or skip etc, take the discs into your local video shop, odds are they will have a disc repair machine, may cost you a few $ more per disc (usually $5 - $8 or so per disc) but at least it won't have been a total waste.

The trouble with placing negative feedback due to poor condition of the goods is that a shonky seller will then post retaliatory negative feedback even though you did nothing to deserve it other than to tell the truth in your feedback. This practise is common amongst the shonky traders on TradeMe, and once bitten by this you tend to not post any feedback on the bad traders. TradeMe is looking at what it can do, but in the meantime cloth_ears suggestion is a good one. I trade under two names, and with the non-Antipodes one I tell it like it is and to hell with the retailatory feedback, but it isn't worth my while doing that with the business one - fortunately I haven't needed to, all my customers have been wonderful people to trade with.

If you do go ahead and post negative feedback and you get retaliatory feedback call TradeMe with your complaint. They will likely not solve the problem but they will edit out any retaliatory remarks that do not appear to have any foundation.

Rip them to a music server and then put them in the basement for the rats to chew on. CDs are just a tragically flawed way to transport 1s and 0s.;)

Thanks for all encouraging inputs. Now the seller is being prick, he refused to refund again and didn't mind getting a negative feedback though he already put a positive feedback on me after sending cds out. The thing is, the cds he sold me are not exactly as what he described in the auction, not just the condition, so I think it's false description forbidden by trademe? Yes it's just cds, but it's my first time to meet such a seller, maybe I shouldn't be so easy to trust people?

Don't forget that even though he may have already placed a positive feedback on you he still has one opportunity to change it, if you place negative feedback on him. This is the flaw in the system, there is no form of feedback arbitration on trademe for this situation.

Guest itwasonly$60luv

Let the forum know the members trade me name and we can all avoid them through, blacklist and you have done the forum a service. TM are poor at policing and certainly dont step up unless someone is a repeat offender and its waaay too late. I have a 100% rating on 100+ trades, but it was a close thing a few times through no fault of mine. Just have to realise that open trading puts you in touch with the low life scumbag sector of the popuation.

As an example I bought a mixed lot of vynil (70) of which I recovered 2. It actually included one that had been used to knock up builders mix on the vynil and then put back in its cover. Bless them.

I ve paid for items been stiffed and have received bad feedback(more than once),and trade me were hopeless at sorting it out.I just learnt my lesson and am more wary about some traders.I have to say Ive had some brilliant trades and most people are great ,its just the few.

Ebay got this right when they made it hard for sellers to post bad feedback on buyers. The only obligation a buyer has is to pay. If that is done there should be no way negative feedback can be left.

Ebay have got it right I agree and apart from the delay in reciept of goods its superior to TM in its overall professionalism, TM sure has its share of cowboy buyers.

Sorry to hear this. Please post the seller TM name here so at least no-one here has this fate.

There seems to be a very different mindset in play between TM and Ebay. On TM, overcharge on postage by a few cents and the buyer squeals like a stuck pig. On Ebay, an allowance for packing etc is quite acceptable. TM really is online auction kindergarten.