whos watching the watchers

so you go through all the effort to list your item at a very fair price

you endure a number of stupid questions and people using the questions as a forum to spout off at how much they know (not)

it runs for a week has 40+ watchers and does not sell

then you have some plonker who is interested in your expired auction...........well you have had all bloody week to bid but didnt

its happening more and more

only issue is who else is there thats got the profile

i will sell more and more by word of mouth if i can

Sign of the times , everyone wants a bargain , sometimes an offer after the auction has closed can be good , hence the reason people ask as they obviously didnt want to pay the starting price , depends how desperate the seller really is to move the goods.

Lets face it , it's free untill sold , just re-list it , I dont really see the drama.

coleus;164851 wrote:
Sign of the times , everyone wants a bargain , sometimes an offer after the auction has closed can be good , hence the reason people ask as they obviously didnt want to pay the starting price , depends how desperate the seller really is to move the goods.

Lets face it , it's free untill sold , just re-list it , I dont really see the drama.

+1

On the whole my trademe experiences have been pretty positive. Best result was when I sold my Marantz Cd-63 KI-S / PM-66 KI-S and B&W CDM1SE's. I listed the speakers first and by the time I had finished listing the CDP and amp the speakers were gone and 30 minutes later the amp was too!

I've seen people list things on trademe at stupid prices and generally they just don't sell and are re-listed time and time again and gradually they come down in price until they reach a price someone is willing to pay for them. On the whole people are savvy to this and see no reason to bid and are prepared to wait.

I also think that some traders put very little thought into their listings, how they present something, how they describe it, starting, price, reserves, buy now's etc. If someone effectively used all the available to them they will increase their chances of a successful sale and maximise their potential earnings. It's all about making someone wanting to hit that bid or buy now button.

people

The more in

If I have to explain to another plonker that speaker wattage doesn't mean what they think it means again I am going to have an aneurysm.

My pricing is usually based on what it'll take to pry the item out of my hands. Generally, I love everything I sell and want like hell to hang on to it, but can't afford to. So, maybe that makes me a plonker, which is fine... and somewhat accurate.

Usually I know the watchers quite well and can guess who is asking for an offer. Whether I give one depends on who it is and what mood I'm in at the time.

i guess my rant was based on how trade me has been in the past compared to now

my listings are always accurate and have plenty of info

its just in the last 12 months or so that the increase in stupid questions and EXPERTS who use the questions to comment instead of actually asking a question has risen dramatically

it just gets a bit tiresome when all you want is to run an auction,i do not watch unless i intend to buy, i also do not like to use the questions to tell the trade me world how much i know, and normally i just relist until it sells

and it usually does at some point

Actually, that's a fair point. Maybe I've just noticed it since starting to sell this radio collection, but there's a lot of anoraks out there who just won't leave it alone.

Do you notice how most of the time people who ask questions don't usually bid?

Also, freight haggling. It says what freight will cost in the auction. That's what it costs. I'm getting royally sick of munters buying something, complaining about the cost of freight, then getting upset because I can't drive 90 a minute round trip during a week day to get to a depot for some obscure freight company where their mate works in order to save them $25.

radar;164880 wrote:
... and EXPERTS who use the questions to comment instead of actually asking a question has risen dramatically...

And just don't answer those questions... Then they won't show until after auction finishes...

Actually what I use to do is answer them about 5 minutes before end so I could say the guy was a plonker and they wouldn't have time to ask another to put some inane reply or smart arse comment...

and as though you don't have to deal with know it alls, plonkers & hagglers in retail or any other selling medium - par for the course dealing in a public medium - as has been said get over it or don't do it

• 2 weeks later...

The market is slow at the moment, so a good time to be buying. FWIW...

There are two ways to sell on trademe.

1. $1 auction. Simple, effective, and if the item is well known, usually gets the best price. This is because it gets people researching and thinking about your auction ahead of all the others.

2. Set your price, stick to it and relist at the same price for at least three times in total. If someone wants it they know what they have to pay.

Don't answer stupid questions or statements and they won't get aired. Blacklist them if they are persistent or get abusive. Don't rise to the bait.