First Up TT

Just after a bit of advice from those of you who have knowledge of all things analogue. I am looking at purchasing a first up TT and for no other reasons perhaps than aesthetics I am looking at some older TT's.

I would be keen to hear opinions and thoughts on the following. A follow up thread at some stage will be on phono amps.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=461661323

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=461557899

and this which is about to expire but the owner does nothing to calm thoughts re does it still work.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=461247663

Budget wise for the TT around the $300 - $350 mark. Not a huge budget but it is really about getting a feel for it all. If if all goes well and the wife is onboard then the upgrade path will happen in the future. The Thorens and the PD-284 appeal as they already have a cartridge.

Thoughts please?

dusty;164056 wrote:
Just be aware buying second hand can be a handful for a 1st time turntable owner. That said I love the look of the Thorens too.

Got to agree. Owned a TD160, with MC20 cart which looked and sounded wonderful. Just bare in mind that it will probably require careful setup, and a good isolated platform to sit on.

If you're keen and adventurous go for it. If you don't want to fiddle about (which is half the fun!)I'd say go for a newer deck.

Owen Young;164094 wrote:
A Thorens 166II + Ortofon VMS20EII used to be my TT, way back in early 80s
;)

Mine too- though I can't rightfully remember what sort of cartridge it had- paired with an A&R A60 and AR18s. I'd also go for the Thorens, a more solid proposition I'd say.

I've got a mate with a nice Dual 505 he's looking to sell. Lovely cond, won"t be huge money, but youll need to add in the price of a cartridge.... He's replaced the deck but will probably want to keep the cartridge (grado black). Pm me if you're interested.

Cheers, Ian

Graham,

Alas it was not. I very quickly got the feeling that the eventual winner was not going to stop bidding, and for a change I decided to stick to my budget. Also who is this hifiart character on trademe who seems to want to buy every old TT going?

The search goes on...

It seems that as vinyl is increasing in popularity people are sometimes paying silly prices for old turntables without realising that they will require a lot of TLC to get them performing again. And yes there do seem to be some collectors out there.

As a hobby I buy selected turntables, recondition and upgrade them, and then on sell them to new owners to enjoy. It is becoming more difficult to buy them at the right price to make this possible.

Hang in there, I'm sure something will come along, and try to resist the temptation to buy a new plastic wonder.!!!!!

Cheers

Graham.:):):)

Yeah - there are a lot out there - it is hard to control myself at times. It is pretty much a case of you get what you pay for tho'. The classics will usually command the best price, there are some hidden treasures (for the $) to be found tho', and some of these can sound very good - given a bit of DIY (enjoyable in itself - and perhaps why some like to play vinyl so much), a sound cartridge (well mounted) and optimised arm.

Kia kaha, get in there!

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly delayed update. So with much thanks to Guitardude and his friend (the owner) I have now purchased a Dual 505-2 with Grado Black cartridge. I have been a bit pressed for time but hope to fly down and pick up next week.

The next step to the puzzle was a phono stage which I thought was a couple of months away. However SWMBO spent (she claims) $800 on shoes today which now means I am looking for a phone stage now. To still keep some points up my sleeve for vinyl (and some CD's already ordered and arriving at the end of the month) I am thinking a budget of around $500. All of the usual suspects that I have read about in various threads come to mind however I am again after advice. One of the (have no idea about) left field options would be the Clearaudio Nano.

Thoughts and options most welcomed.

Cheers Ant.

My first tt (that I bought anyway) was a Dual 505-2 back in the 80's.

As fine a tt as it was, a $500 phonostage may be wasted on it.

Of course, depends also on what the rest of your gear is and if you want this phono amp to be used with any future upgrade.

Otherwise, if its just for the Dual/Grado black get a MM only project or similar and spend the rest on lots of secondhand vinyl, IMHO

Well done getting a turntable, the Dual is a good all round performer.

In my opinion you don't need to spend $500 on a phonostage at this stage unless you are planning to upgrade to a more exotic turntable and cartridge in the near future.

I have a perfectly good Rega Fono Mini you can try if you wish and then we can haggle a price if you like the sound.

The Mini is only $135 new in NZ and gets very good reviews.

Send me a PM if interested.

Graham.:):):)

My thoughts around the Nano was that it would be suitable for the eventual/inevitable upgrade to another turntable over time. I figured that the Project, NAD, Cambridge options would be ideal for this turntable but that I would probably need to upgrade those at the same as a turntable change up. So I guess the thought was around do it once and be covered for a while to come. I hope that makes sense.