Why Pink Floyd

minimoke

Wandered through the music section of the Red Shed yesterday and found a shed load of Pink Floyd.

It seems 14 albums re mastered albums have been released on 26 September. Available individually or as a "Discovery" box set. Also a 2 disc DOSM is an "Experience" edition. Also an "immersion"edition of DSOM (6 discs and a book)

On 7 November Wish You Were Here is released as an Experience Edition. Immersion edition is 5 discs

27 Feb 2012 sees The Wall Experience edition. Immersion edition still being worked on but likely to be 7 discs.

I need my EQC cheque to arrive before I can explore this offering so hopefully someone else can review in the meantime.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really testing the Floyd fans expecting them to fork out money for yet another cd reissue series, this must be the 4th time they have been reissued in the last 20 years. There was the 1992 remastered cds then the "Shine On" box set in 2002 and then the "Oh, by the Way" box set from 2007.

I would sooner see their back catalogue reissued on vinyl but maybe that's in the pipe line!

My vinyl copy of DSOTM is on the way from Amazon UK. I have WYWH on pre order as well as I dont have a really good clean copy of that and it's my 2nd favourite Floyd set next to Piper .

I live in hope that Piper will come up for a lp reissue somewhere in the program, a twofer with stereo and mono discs would be the ultimate.

I've been listening to the 2cd Experience version the last couple of nights, enjoying the live disc.

I guess I just thank oblivion that I'm in no way, shape or form a Floyd fan, don't own any, never intend to and have never knowingly sat down and listened to "DSOTM" as I believe it's termed. On the other hand I do have a weakness for Grateful Dead so my parallel universe is subject to the same strictures really.

Man that Winter Ale is delicious.

Zolar Czakl;156952 wrote:
Did you manage to get a copy of this before it sold out? –

Nope - didn't hear about it in time - probably wouldn't have bothered anyway. Anybody who's prepared to be truly completist about the Dead needs scads of discretionary $$ and weeks of each year with nothing better to do than listen to them. I fail miserably to qualify on both counts - not to say I wouldn't be there if I could however.

St.Noah;156957 wrote:
Nope - didn't hear about it in time - probably wouldn't have bothered anyway. Anybody who's prepared to be truly completist about the Dead needs scads of discretionary $$ and weeks of each year with nothing better to do than listen to them. I fail miserably to qualify on both counts - not to say I wouldn't be there if I could however.

A friend – a total Deadhead – ordered his copy (altho' still waiting for it to arrive) so I'll let you know what you missed when it shows up and I get a spare 70+ hours to listen to it.

You could just go here

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=GRATEFUL%20DEAD%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&page=1

208 pages of live Dead shows for download.

On a more sane note the 3xlp Europe ,72 is due for reissue in a couple of weeks. If it's up to he standard of the recent Dead boxset it should be good. My only copy has a very tatty cover although it plays not too badly. Still no release date for the 2 MoFi reissues of Live/Dead and Skull and Roses.

Cooksferry;156927 wrote:
I live in hope that Piper will come up for a lp reissue somewhere in the program, a twofer with stereo and mono discs would be the ultimate.

I'd second that – expensive, multiple-disc boxes have their uses – but I reckon a lot of people (me included) just want a shiny and new, cleanly pressed copy of the original vinyl album to supplement their well-played copies. Where Piper is concerned, my preference would be for the mono version – that's the one I grew up with. I didn't hear Piper in stereo until the dawn of the CD age!

crazydiamond;156897 wrote:
Interesting review from ToneAudio

I'm a hopeless Floydian addict so I'll be buying the Immersion Editions at some stage.

I already have about 7 versions of DSOM so a couple more will do.
:D

You are a lost cause - I scored a small win in conmvincing SHMBO that we needed platinum tickets to th Wall concert next year - I must have been high in household mana at the time. I get groans whenever I crank out the Floyd at home - which is often

Don't now why, but I never bought DSOTM when it was first released. Oops showing may age here! Got a copy of the 20th Anniversary CD and recently a SACD 30th Anniversary edition so treated myself to a vynil copy last week from Marbecks. Interesting comparing the SACD and the vinyl - vinyl still wins IMO but by a close margin - CD does not evn get a look in.

This is contrary to my usual music buying norms as I generally do not try to have more than one format for an album to save disapointment, but in this case I was intersted to see if SACD stacks up.

Zolar Czakl;157118 wrote:
How does the Nirvana 4LP sound like to you? It seems to have been getting a bit of a panning for poor, way-too-loud mastering.

To be honest it's the first time I've ever listened to Nevermind in any format and so far just one preview with headphones. I dont have any problems with what I've heard. I mean it's Nirvana/Nevermind so I approached without expectations of an audiophile experience(whatever that is). I think the vinyl may have a different mastering to the digital versions as it says in the liner notes that the remastering was done by Bernie Grundman with stampers plated by Chris Bellman.

I have read plenty of negative comments on the Steve Hoffman board about the reissues although nothing so far about the vinyl. There are so many moaning bastards on that forum whose glass is always half empty that I stopped taking any notice some time ago and it's hard to argue with 'experts' who can condem a product without needing to hear it so I dont bother passing comment there anymore.

I'll probably be quite happy with the reissue but then again I dont spend all day running the music through a computer looking at wave forms . A saving grace of this forum to date that we dont have endless posts featuring screen shots full of blue lines captured by cheap TTs and crappy cartridges. Sorry, better get off my high horse, I get abit wound up on this topic. :)

I may get time to have a listen via speakers this weekend. The problem with my headphones is that what I hear and what gets emphasised changes quite abit depending on which phones I'm using.

• 5 weeks later...

kiwizig;158093 wrote:
After reading an interview with Nick Mason about the box sets in Uncut magazine I have decided to order the Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion set. The best price I could find was at CD WOW for $152.09.

A copy in stock at my local TW for around $170 from memory.