Well Tempered Record Player

This one is different to Michael's (has the circular motor). I got mine for a relative steal and have upgraded it via a new pulley, polyester filament belt, and oil bath bearing.

Wonder how much over 1k the reserve is? I would love a matching pair but the fiance would kill me....:D

Seriously great sounding player.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Turntables/auction-404170844.htm

Was offered for $720 in the end. I briefly flirted with the idea of buying it as pickup was fairly close to me, but them greebies put me off :P

One of those ideas that sounds wonderful late at night after a single malt, but in the cold light of dawn you realise you really couldn't be arsed with the hassle :rolleyes:

A good buy for someone to enjoy though

B :)

I purchased this as part of my plan for world domination. Before conquering the sonic universe, however, I'll need to survive the Medusa-like stare of my partner given that I now own a Villa Bellagio, a Logic DM101, a Thorens TD150 (gracefully rebuilt by 'Enzer Graham D.) and a Garrard E series in addition to the Well Tempered.

The Well Tempered and the Logic will both be checked and serviced by Murray Clarke before they become part of the listening room I am due to acquire when the eldest teen leaves home (three months and counting) to attend University. The Garrard is already being rebuilt by antique audio supremo Nigel Bunn.

I'm now searching for appropriate cartridge upgrades so if you have an MC or two you want to move then send a carrier pigeon my way - just don't let Medusa see it.

5 Tables!

How do you manage it!

I have just suffered a verbal battering (never mind Medusa - these words can turn the weak of mind to stone, then dust), for having too many amplifiers.

So are all going to be in circulation, have you got some marvellous switching arrangement?

Signed

Jealous

Maxgate, go the upgrade if all is well (I did mine with totally wired) - New pulley (it just pops on and off) and polyester belt that takes a bit of time to knot at the right tension. They also chuck in a new bottle of silicone for the tonearm paddle to get rid of those greebies.

Mine was in similar condition - a little dirty but otherwise mint. There is really nothing that can go wrong with the arm other than the tonearm clips or a faulty motor - but apparently these have a reputation for longevity.

Setting up the headshell and getting the right amount of fluid and paddle hang can be tricky, but worth it. The VTA adjustment is easy via a hex screw embedded in the MDF plinth. I recommend no more than 2mm of fluid above the top of the paddle - you can 'overdamp' the arm.

Dialling in the VTF and alignment is pretty easy with some patience and I believe the WTRP is less fussy than most - it also stays true. The inverted platter freaks some people out but it has never bothered me - apparently you can just flip the platter over and use the flat side.

The ability to subtly adjust azimuth while 'on the go' is a great feature on this deck - just turn the top of the aluminium pillar one way or the other.

Of course, if this is not your first well tempered, then I have barked up a burnt bush :)

Enjoy - Welcome to the club. We meet every full moon and create witty blogs on twitter about those idiots who have 'bearings' in their turntables.....

Papa Hemi;156345 wrote:
5 Tables!

How do you manage it!

I have just suffered a verbal battering (never mind Medusa - these words can turn the weak of mind to stone, then dust), for having too many amplifiers.

So are all going to be in circulation, have you got some marvellous switching arrangement?

Signed

Jealous

My primary deck, the Villa Bellagio, runs via the outboard Pamphilli phono stage through Line 1 of my Unico PRE. The Well Tempered will probably run through the PRE's phono stage, while the Thorens TD150 will use a modest outboard Rotel phono stage on Line 2. I am in the process of purchasing another outboard phono stage so that the Logic can hook into Line 3.

The Garrard E series was manufactured in 1928, is the first electric powered turntable, and will hook into my late father's valve radio on the Gram setting.

So all decks (the non-God willing) will be up and running with no Heath Robinson wiring required. Of course I will need rewiring after my partner has finished with me.

analogism;156350 wrote:
Enjoy - Welcome to the club. We meet every full moon and create witty blogs on twitter about those idiots who have 'bearings' in their turntables.....

Thank you. Once I have recovered from the injuries inflicted by my partner (who might well consider 'upgrading' herself) and have got my bearings again then I'll happily stare at the moon, although I hope never to twitter to anyone except my Maker.