Morning JC,

Well I'd savour that dream as you could be disappointed -I've auditioned Magicos,both stand

and floor mounted --Boulder frontend--dry as Death Valley, Halcro's -horrible. Whether

tubes could "improve " them, debatable as they seem to need the SS grunt.

Basically an overrated,overpriced OK speaker --if you want to pay and arm and a leg for

them be my guest.

At the CES the Magico room was next door to the Sony one-- even the Sony SSB's were

more involving

Superior?-- Tidals-and my personal favs-as I stated before the ProAc Carbons

Good listening

Des

I have always lusted after the Magico V3 - it's such a shame that it is so hard to hear this kind of exotic kit in NZ - if you were serious on spending this kind of money factoring in a trip to the USA would not be silly...

Slightly off topic but have you heard the Revel Ultima Salon 2 Des? They were everyone's darling a couple of years ago and come up on Audiogon now and then...

Is this the pair that Terry Humphries had in his store for a long time? Shane Taylor sat me in front of them on some Bel Canto gear.

I dunno why I bought bel canto after that to be honest....

Terry had more involving speakers there for considerably less cost.

Thanks for the comments Des. I have never heard them, they just look so cool ! Would certainly get the tick from the resident home decorator (but for the price would expect a new kitchen) :eek:

If I'm looking at "silly" money I should just upgrade the Dyns to the C2 for 20K or C4 @ 30k ;)

The C1's still do it for me, and I'm only getting used to the Acute CDP in the system. Very rich and musical. :D

And the money I've won from Lotto over the years wouldn't even buy a decent cable. I try to only pay my Lotto stupidity tax a few times a year.:(

DodgyConnection;156090 wrote:
I have always lusted after the Magico V3 - it's such a shame that it is so hard to hear this kind of exotic kit in NZ - if you were serious on spending this kind of money factoring in a trip to the USA would not be silly...

Slightly off topic but have you heard the Revel Ultima Salon 2 Des? They were everyone's darling a couple of years ago and come up on Audiogon now and then...

Hi DC, Yes the new Revel Salons are the first of the Marque that actually don't have one heading for the exit--they were actually pretty darn good at CES and shaded only by the Tidal Diaceras.I auditioned both with one of my reference Disc--Gary Karr and for the dosh the Revels were mighty fine.

You could do worse.

Des

Michael Wong;156094 wrote:
If you really want some Lotto-busting, silly money speakers, try some Rockports.

;)

Whoa easy MW!

The Rockies graced my "Boudoir" for nigh on 7 years--and the Szyergy's pictured in said B

sounded pretty good to me . Andy Payor's products are a labour of love

--he now has advanced MS and last time I spoke he needs two canes to walk.

This has curtailed his production somewhat but still manages a fine speaker never the less.

Expensive yes But I felt to me they delivered the goods musically

YVMV

Good Listening,

Des

rockport_2-1.jpg

Whoa DW, :D

I wasn't ripping on the Rockies, I've heard the Szyergys too, a great speaker.

Just citing them as an example of how to spend your Lotto money.

;)

Sorry to read that about AP.

His speakers and turntables are modern works of art.

Ah Good One M we no longer beg to differ there! Mind you times change , new pretenders chase the throne I think if I had Lotto dosh to plonk on Speakers I'd possibly lean towards,

like I've stated the Carbons or back to where the best memories evolved

Stacked 57's with Ribbon Tweeters and Hartley 24"s

Avalons

SnellAIIIs

Good listening,

Des

hopeman;156100 wrote:
C4???????????

In 2009 to 2010, there're two pair of C4 in TM, sold after at lease 30 days later, it means you got ENOUGHT time to buy it...less than $14k

So why pay $30k than 14k, can not understand it.

You won't find any more C4s at that price! if I had the money I would happily pay $30K for them, they were magnificent speakers! But then that would upset my plans for a full Shindo set up with Latour Field Coils!

Des W;156096 wrote:
Hi DC, Yes the new Revel Salons are the first of the Marque that actually don't have one heading for the exit--they were actually pretty darn good at CES and shaded only by the Tidal Diaceras.I auditioned both with one of my reference Disc--Gary Karr and for the dosh the Revels were mighty fine.

You could do worse.

Des

Thanks Des. It can be pretty hard deciphering the hype that surrounds some of these products :)

I don't know about the Magicos but the listening room they are shown in is singularly awesome!

Attached files 156111=7053-186262268_full.jpg

DodgyConnection;156111 wrote:
Thanks Des. It can be pretty hard deciphering the hype that surrounds some of these products
:)

I don't know about the Magicos but the listening room they are shown in is singularly awesome!

Very industrial..with alot of concrete. Would of thought that they could afford something a bit more, erm 'uptown'. Or maybe the 'bankers' like the faux downtown industrial look. :rolleyes:

I'd lay down 30 large (or even 45) on a pair of speakers but not 2-way stand mounts.

Physics has to play a big part here. At 30k I'd want full-rangers with the -3db point being 20Hz. Not 'missing the lowest of the low' as in the auction description.

I'm with Des. ProAc's Carbon Pro series are the mack-daddy of the $45k realm.

Never heard a pair myself but every comment I've read has always been reported as the most awesome speaker.

I'd lay down 30 large (or even 45) on a pair of speakers but not 2-way stand mounts.

Physics has to play a big part here. At 30k I'd want full-rangers with the -3db point being 20Hz. Not 'missing the lowest of the low' as in the auction description.

I'm with Des. ProAc's Carbon Pro series are the mack-daddy of the $45k realm.

Never heard a pair myself but every comment I've read has always been reported as the most awesome speaker.

got tinnitus;156123 wrote:

Ha! Dead right GT--I'd want the whole Pork Chop not just the kidney---

Des

DodgyConnection;156111 wrote:
Thanks Des. It can be pretty hard deciphering the hype that surrounds some of these products
:)

Morning DC, At least a room with character-don't know about all that glass in close proximity-curtains anyone?

You are certainly right on the Hype --the Wolfman is a powerhouse at the marketing ploys

and works the Reviewing pack to his advantage

GT is right for the bucks the whole keg--not just the sixpack

Des