Overpriced? What about this?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, yes.

Looks renovated, tidy.

That PSU resistor underneath, the one that always runs hot on the bd next to the rectifier, looks perilously close to the adjacent electrocap...tsk, tsk ;)

GZ34 looks a Russkie or E Euro type, tall round top glass.

moby;155327 wrote:
Then again there's this....

Is this person perloining the urine or are they worth this much (without xover).

M

Yes I was wondering who would spend that sort on ONE old driver? Maybe an extra zero was pressed by accident.

kaka;155335 wrote:
It gets worse though -

It might have been the first one that came out, but an iPod would probably sound better

I dunno. The CDP-501es (like this but much, much bigger) is still one of my favourite players of all time. Don't forget that they started out being over-engineered, then got all cheap and shitty.

kaka;155335 wrote:
It gets worse though -

It might have been the first one that came out, but an iPod would probably sound better

Declannz;155383 wrote:
I dunno. The CDP-501es (like this but much, much bigger) is still one of my favourite players of all time. Don't forget that they started out being over-engineered, then got all cheap and shitty.

I reckon its NOT about the SQ kaka, its more about the collectability.

Its a "first edition" CD player, never to be repeated.

How much do people pay for first edition stamps, that are only worth tupence postage value?

How much is the first 78 grammophone record player worth these days? (And I bet it sounds like sh!te). :-)

Well, it's a matter of opinion, I guess. The 501es still remailns one fothe most enjoyable machines to sliten to that I've hear. One followed me around for about 9 years, so it lived in many systems. Unfortunately the guy who lent it to me asked for it back, otherwise I'd still have it.

About that Michi: Well, it's nice to know that some things remain static in an ever changing universe. By the time he sells it we will all be sucked into a black hole where, because time has no relevance there, he will have sold it instantly and never sold it at the same time. So there's some consolation for him, I guess.

I actually had a Sony 101 for a while. Definately not a bad sounding machine.... Would suggest that any doubters might pay to give one a serious listen, in many respects I find the earlier CD players to be a lot more exciting to listen to than the later ones. The big Sony's are well worth the money, a couple of the early Philips models are scarily good too. Newer does not equal better, except in the mantra of Hifi salesmen.

Declannz;155383 wrote:

Talk about overengineered, I have a Sony XA7es. It weighs around 15kg. Here is what it looks like inside

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1395/sonyxa7es2petita.jpg

I had a number of the top Sony CD players over the years. They weren't fashionable among many audiophiles, but they were still among the best sounding players at the time. Maybe they still are?

The Sony CDP-101 was reviewed by Stereophile (their first CDP review?) in 1983.

I wonder what JGH would think now?

I've heard only one Sony CDP, an X777ES in 1994(?)...it was BEAUTIFULLY built but sounded (to me) like, well....I didn't bother with bitsream/1-bit players after that. (Note: YMMV of course as AudioEnz gave an X777 a glowing review in 1991 ;))

If you wanted good bitstream decodingSony was not the place to look...

Sony also made a two-box CDP/DAC (Model CDP-R1 ?) that was also beautifully built but doo-doo sounding.

The XA7Es on the other hand was superb in every regard.

I had a Sony 557 which was a generation before the 777. It was beautifully engineered but the sound got better when an external Meridian 563 dac was added, and the better again when a complete Meridian player replaced it.

My later dacs were a lot better than the 563 (I compared some of them) which leaves me wondering about the sonic virtues of the early cd players. Dac technology has not stood still.

Yeah, the old machines are the bomb, to use current terminology.

The CDP502es I have at the moment has a colid copper chassis for shielding, or something like that. Muse caps throughout, even in the PSU. It's probably worth more for scrap than the few hundred I could sell it for.

The Pioneer in the lounge is really overkill. The copper in the chassis isn't as thick as the Sony, but they wrapped all the caps in the DAC's and line stages in copper as well. Not like tin foil copper either, oh no. It's chunky, thick slabs of the stuff that they bent to the correct diamerter for each cap. Dual mono DAC's, three power supplies (three transformers too)... it's just insane. Most "audiophile" machines don't go to the lengths that some japanese outfits did in the late 80's/early 90's.

Hell, if you want to go back further, I've got a Sansui G-9000, from 1978, that I'm testing in the main rig at the moment that is shockingly good. 160w into 4, 8 or 16 ohms. That's the actual specs. The thing adjusts itself in some kinda scientific way so the wattage is constant regardless of the load. Frequency response is 20hZ to 200,000kHz, and that's not an extra zero. It sounds effing brilliant, even compared to the Perreaux's or Quads I've had in the same rig, but looks way, way cooler (and weighs more at a shade inder 30g).

kaka;155486 wrote:
I had a Sony 557 which was a generation before the 777. It was beautifully engineered but the sound got better when an external Meridian 563 dac was added, and the better again when a complete Meridian player replaced it.

My later dacs were a lot better than the 563 (I compared some of them) which leaves me wondering about the sonic virtues of the early cd players. Dac technology has not stood still.

The 557ESD was actually 3X generations before the X777ES(X77ES,X7ESD then the 557ESD). Those things were works of Art inside. That was the era i first got "serious" about CD playback by purchasing the model below the X7ESD...the 338ESD which replaced a 507ESD i was using. I was pretty impressed by the weight of its bottom end(and the physical weight of the unit). It was the first CD player i had that could effortlessly play some "scratched" discs that other machines couldnt cope with. The top end wasnt as "forward" as other CD Players but that suited me fine with the Titanium tweeters on my JBLs. That was replaced with an X555ES which yeilded slightly better results.The transports were slick and smooth....just waiting for that external DAC to breath some extra life into the music.

Declannz;155469 wrote:

About that Michi: Well, it's nice to know that some things remain static in an ever changing universe. By the time he sells it we will all be sucked into a black hole where, because time has no relevance there, he will have sold it instantly and never sold it at the same time. So there's some consolation for him, I guess.

LOL Im tempted to drop that quote onto his auction just to make his life a little more exciting Bwahahahaha.