Big Old Kefs

I'm surprised to see that they are a four-way design. Did Kef-kits come out as a four-way design, or is my memory of three-way speakers failing me?

What ribbon tweeter ?

That photo looks like one of those "proof-of-life" photos where they show the hostage with a recently dated paper.

LOL

Kefkit 3. B139 bass, 110 mid, T27 tweeter, on the top probably a Coles or STC super tweeter similar to what was used on the B&W DM2a, was probably added to the mix as an afterthought. These used to come into the country through AWA who were the agents at the time, I remember building a number of these transmission lines from plans published in I think Hi Fi News. A pair I built resurfaced just before I sold my shop, around 2002 and in comparison to current speakers 'voicing' they were quite dull,polite and coloured in the mids. Most of the ones sold would go with a Kenwood 60w/ch amp or similar, some went with the McLaren pre/power setups as well. Just a bit of nostalgia and useless information!

I have a set of Kef 104s with a similar layout, T27 tweeter, a B200 mid driver and the oval passive base driver and a set of Chorals with the T27 tweeter and the B200. Still sound good after 30 years.

Just to set you right Mr Kat, that is not a passive bass driver, it is a real woofer B139 = 13"x9". Kef also made a passive driver, but that is not the subject here. That was the Kef 104 AB = Auxillary Bass Driver. Quite a pathetic animal really compared to this. Actually by today's standards, both quite pathetic animals. Time to move on. A Bose Acoustimass system would give both a hiding. 9 out of 10 vision impaired audiophiles would prefer the Bose Acoustimass, 9 out of 10 aurally impaired audiophiles would prefer the KEF's. Or the other way around.

Wow. What a sweeping generalisation from the new guy, and a completely incorrect one.

I love my t-lines, and my concertos. The former having had much work done over the decades have come a long way and surpass most speakers that I come across, including a lot of new stuff. Non-audio people end up entranced more often than not, when listening to their favourite tunes on them. Audio people always leave impressed.

Dollar-for-dollar, I reckon these are great value and very simple and fun to tweak.