A Warning Non Hi Fi Related

I doubt many on here would be stupid enough to fall for this, but just incase someone you know may be -

Last night had a ph call form "a microsoft technician" warning my wife of a malicious software that was on our computer and could we please connect to their server to have it dealt with.

I have read about this sort of thing on other forums, they use logmein to take control of your pc and plant all sorts of nasties in the background, steal passwords, key loggers etc

Fortunately I was home so she passed phone to me, when I asked them how I could get a microsoft warning on an apple mac, they seemed puzzled, I don't have an apple mac at all, but had a good laugh at their response -

"so you don't have any pc at home?" - only apple macbook

oh, must have wrong number and they promptly hung up.

If anyone tries to get you or friends to log into a remote server so your pc can be fixed, don't, your personal data, passwords etc will be taken and pc screwed.

have heard of stories of tech nerds keeping these folk on the ph for about 2 hrs and watching them trying to hack a virtual machine they set up for a laugh (cost the hackers a 2 hr toll call from asia somewhere) and then getting abused when they finally realised what he had done, but if your not so techincally inclined, a not so polite fk off is more than appropriate.

There was an article in one of the weekend newspapers recently about this. People are also being asked to provide credit card details to "pay" for the service the so called technician has performed.

Clevo;151474 wrote:
I had a similar call recently and was uncharacteristically impolite - I discussed his ancestry with him in great detail, sufficiently detailes to get a gasp before he hung up under my instruction to go forth and multiply.

Brian

Nice!

Got the "call" last night but I was still at work. :( My wife kept telling him we didn't have a PC while she Googled the phone number he gave which indeed came up SCAM!

Good old Google, well done wife. :) It does sound like he was very persistant and even threats of calling the police didn't put him off.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of these a while back. I had fun telling them I had no computers at home (ok, so I have one or two :)). "not even a laptop?". No. Nothing. Kinda stops them dead in their tracks :D.

They do, however, catch people. Dad's neighbour was suckered in and even handed over credit card details. Stupid, they didn't even believe him when he informed them they'd been scammed and they should call the bank asap. He had to read the article over the phone to convince them. They say fools and their money are easily parted!

The scammer called back the next day to ask why the payment hadn't gone through. Guess he had to move them off the suckers list!

chopper;151463 wrote:
We get them all the time. I like to ask them what sort of underwear they're wearing - usually while panting a little bit. Gets them off the phone right quick.

hi Chop

Usually none, but when i do its something exotic