Sign in to follow this  
aro1553552689

Thorens SME

Some of our favourite buyers duke it out in front of us too.

:)

And with 5 days to go.... Could be better than the Technics auction recently. The arm and the TT - classic. Let the show begin....

And the seller's 'asking price' is $350!

I'm not much of a haggler, but the concept of upwards bartering baffles me.

Appraisal done by audio sound technician

Asking price $350.00

Appraisals would best be done by googling the model number next time and avoiding the technician's fee! But good luck to them, glad to see they'll get a fair price irrgardless of low appraisal.

dusty;150318 wrote:
irrgardless

The word is 'regardless'. Sorry, but your version is one of those 'Bushisms' that have made it into everyday speech that irks me a little.

I had a look at one of these 124's on Friday. A mate picked one up at a garage sale for $75, with SME 3009 and all. They do look the business. The engineering is pretty damn good.

I understand the desire to own this turntable. What I don't understand, especially from experienced bidders, is why they bid (and keep bidding) before the final minutes of an auction. All they do is drive up the price. Who cares if the runner was leading on the first lap, it's the last lap that counts. There are only two times to click: one, to meet the reserve (which removes the danger of Buy Now) so the auction becomes real; two, to win with the lowest possible bid - which means bidding at the last possible moment.

The cynic in me says they want to drive up prices.

All good for future sales in the long run.

Its the thrill of the chase and once the bidding starts you want to win if it's something you desire and can't back away from . If the same item went on fleabay well .....

Declannz;150330 wrote:
The word is 'regardless'. Sorry, but your version is one of those 'Bushisms' that have made it into everyday speech that irks me a little.

I had a look at one of these 124's on Friday.

Heh, you've pick out the portmanteau, but then slice that apostrophe straight into the rough.

Uh oh - grammar on a trademe thread. This will end in tears...

Declannz;150330 wrote:

I had a look at one of these 124's on Friday. A mate picked one up at a garage sale for $75, with SME 3009 and all. They do look the business. The engineering is pretty damn good.

I like "irregardless". They use it a lot in The Sopranos, from time immemorial.

dusty;150347 wrote:
Heh, you've pick out the portmanteau, but then slice that apostrophe straight into the rough.

Uh oh - grammar on a trademe thread. This will end in tears...

Brilliant! If I had a cap I would doff it firmly in your direction!

God I hope that the person who wins this really wants it and not the on-selling sharks that swim around TM!!

Wow - a real ding-dong battle!

F*%k $1852 notes. I think a tad toooooooooooooooooooo much.

Holy Crap !!!!!

I love old Thorens, but not that much.

Big difference between nzaudio's initial offer and the final result. $1500 in fact.

:D

Yep NZaudio wasn't dealing with recently widowed old ladies this time...

Too much?

I dunno, but I presume that this is in line with international pricing. This is classic kit that (given care and maintenance) will perform to a high level. I would say a good result for the seller.

If the vinyl revival continues the TT will be a true investment. Regardless there are few decks today at that price point and more that will do as much and with the same result. A connoisseurs deck. Few can better it, takes allot to beat it.

Good price I reckon, in fact I almost got motivated to get a personal loan of $2000 which I would have been willing to pay if I had it spare. I'm just glad the sharks didn't get it. Congrats to the winner.