Sign in to follow this  
I will decide!

little golds

I own a pair of these- see thread below "LGMs".

Made by Tannoy as near-field studio monitors in the late 80s and they're accurate and detailed. Bass doesn't go too low, but fine for me in a smallish room. Can be driven hard but with 95dB rating they're also good with less Watts.My Fatman amp is 18wpc and is plenty powerful; I've never turned the vol. up over 1 o'clock.

The drivers are the same as used in the Edinburghs, so if you were into it rehousing them in bigger cabinets would increase bass.

I like mine, and have owned them since new. Value -wise the price seems good; don't think you'd lose out on Tannoy DCs.

thanks Luis - seems hard to find good reviews or bad on the LGM's on the net........

found a couple of people saying they are a bit "bright" - but like everything its up to the ear thats listening

They probably are a bit bright- voiced for near-field monitoring in the 80s when electronics were maybe a bit duller. That's easily fixed by adjusting the treble energy and roll-off which I've done with mine. They were not made for very long, and only for pro use so that's probably why you don't see many reviews etc. I don't know what your Statfords are like but I imagine the LGMs will give you more of everything, and certainly volume.

Luis;145990 wrote:
Here'ssome info, in case you haven't seen it

reading that has scared me a little now.:eek: The Klipsch horn (for what ever reason) has scared me a little with "brightness" or sibilance, and do not want to go down that road again. But there are alot of positives in there too !!

fisher X 100 A;145991 wrote:
reading that has scared me a little now.:eek: The Klipsch horn (for what ever reason) has scared me a little with "brightness" or sibilance, and do not want to go down that road again. But there are alot of positives in there too !!

They are not bright for me. As you'd expect from monitors they are revealing, so if the electronics/ recordings are bright you will hear that. I don't find them harsh or fatiguing to listen to.

'revealing' must be the word - good reason also to upgrade the record collection....

I do listen to music alot, and going back to school for two years will be listening more and more - so big plus is the non-fatiguing aspect.

Have you had different older valve amp's or s/s connected before, anything that jumped out at you ?

cheers Luis

I've had them running on my Perreax EP/E2 in a bigger room and found they could really fill the space with sound. I then had an old Quad 33-pre/540-power combination.The Fatman amp sounds great through the LGMs. Plenty of volume, clear treble and good bass with good separation of sounds and instruments. Vocals are excellent and realistic. The old Quads by comparison were a bit crude and dull. I'd say with their 95dB rating they're generally a good match with valves, but definitely had no problem with the 200W SS Perreaux either.

Is it perfered to use the LGM's on stands ?

This is the thing with T.M....Decisions --- one pair has screw marks - perfect history as a seller, the other pair has a little bad history - and maybe a better speaker........?

we are listening to the Tannoy Stratfords amplified up by the Fisher source being the Rega and the record "black and blue" 'cherry old baby' by Stone's

punchy smoth bass, vocals are clear, treble just pitched right (symbols are not to ringy).... one can only imagine what the big big brother can do :)

@ Luis - if you had to buy another set for the kitchen, which pair would you go for, i would understand if you had no comment on this ?

Congrats, a good buy methinks. I hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think of them once they're hooked up to your system.

Luis;146075 wrote:
Congrats, a good buy methinks. I hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think of them once they're hooked up to your system.

thanks Luis - would you have any information/links on the stands for the LGM's

How high are yours off the ground ?

I've spent many hours enjoying music from a bigger pair of older dual-concentric Tannoys, Fisher. And currently have a pair of newer Tannoy Saturn 6 DCs in the lounge.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

thanks guys - am just doing the email thing to find out when i can pick them up.....another 5 hours drive to Jaffa Land.......looking favourable to pick up tomorrow :D

As I am a newbie to describing what I am hearing please be gentle on me

First thing that comes to mind is Effortless, smooth, and presence

I can hear separation in musical instruments and listen to a whole song just focused on the lead guitar as such or the bass guitar and not lose it. Its like I can hear the fingers move on the guitar.

Bass is ‘plummy’, smooth and pushy when it counts; thou the Fisher is throwing all its bass at it.

The bass is no where near thin either! (I have read the LGM are not known for their bass)

The sibilance on the highs, cymbals and singing that were present with the Klipsch’s have gone. More contained and delicate to listen to. Can listen to the starting of ‘Time – Pink Floyd’ with all the clocks and bells and not cringe with pain in my ears!

Also with the solo ‘great gig in the sky’ by the black woman, it is full and rich – beautiful!

The saxophone in ‘us and them’ is silky and smooth!

Excellent, excellent, excellent is all I can say with a big smile!

:D

fisher X 100 A;146379 wrote:

Also with the solo ‘great gig in the sky’ by the black woman, it is full and rich – beautiful!

That "black woman" is Clare Torry - and if shes black, she did a Wacko and got bleached, as I remember her being distinctly white ( in spite of that voice )

But glad that your enjoying them there speakers :)

too_tall;146389 wrote:
That "black woman" is Clare Torry - and if shes black, she did a Wacko and got bleached, as I remember her being distinctly white ( in spite of that voice )

But glad that your enjoying them there speakers
:)

Ill blame that one on SWMBO, she was adamant when i just questioned her again.......jeeeze:)

I am enjoying.....thanks