Sign in to follow this  
AudioKiwi

You will Obey! Exterminate! Exterminate!

Owen Y;146344 wrote:
Congrats!

What you need now is a good clean 10watts amp
:D

Yea, I get the feeling my Perreaux 350p's won't be stretching themselves to drive these :)

Could this be the start of the annual Huia soundoff? ;)

Ooh yeah - now ya talkin - Ill put the K2's/Hurricains up against your Altecs/Perreaux 350p's any day - now that would be fun :D

Mosfetman,

Get those EL37 triode/PPs wired up!

Should smoke the ASL-JBLs no sweat :D

EL37 PP for LF, 2A3 SE for HF, what do you think?

KT66 PP for LF, 2A3 SE for HF, then we will have a battle ;)

Do those A700s have 16" 515 woofers in there, mosfet?

515Bs or 515Gs? Should be nice midrange I beilieve.

beeman;146343 wrote:
Welcome to the club - we need to hire a hall somewhere waaay out in the country & set up all these big arse speakers & have a real listening session - could be quite a weekend?
:D

PS. hows the new room looking Dodgy?

Can I bring my Labhorns ?

M

Owen Y;146496 wrote:
Do those A700s have 16" 515 woofers in there, mosfet?

515Bs or 515Gs? Should be nice midrange I beilieve.

To be honest I'm not sure how to identify them, there's no markings on the drivers, they also have a different X-over as well which I believe Steve put in them just recently.

A VERY different sound to what I'm used to and take a bit getting to know them, I think I'll have to go active X-over/ Bi-amped to get the best out of them, nethertheless quite a good base for build from and have some fun.

Vocals and and wood instruments are amazing, light on Bass compared to what I'm used to.

Amazing the difference in volume output when put beside my Paradigm Studio Monitors, the Pgdms are approx 88db and the Altecs approx 105db, you can't even hear the Pdgms beside the Altecs driven at the same level unless you put your ears up to the drivers.

Live with them a while I say. Active is a whole diff more complex ballgame, with new set of compromises...room optimisation adjustability prob being the only advantage IMO, over passive.

They seem to have a PA style response, but as the horiz polar dispersion is good, you could play with placement a wee bit, in relation to front wall & corners, to lift LF balance to match midrange.

88dB => 105dB, that's almost 8 times SPL & less than 20% amp power required.

Also the X-over should have an adjustable dial for HF and LF ouput - dial the HF right back and the LF right up.

I have my A7's active - 100 watts solid state on the woofers and 8 watts valve on the high horns! :D

I heard A7 VOTs in LA once, w type 50SE tubes, 3 watts!

I still can't believe the amount of noise these things produce from a 15watt amp, they could easily fill a small hall with that amount of power.

Have taken the X-Overs out of the cabinets and will mount them in their own enclosures, there's also a level adjustment for the Horn which is handy.

MosfetMainac;147767 wrote:
I still can't believe the amount of noise these things produce from a 15watt amp, they could easily fill a small hall with that amount of power.

Have taken the X-Overs out of the cabinets and will mount them in their own enclosures, there's also a level adjustment for the Horn which is handy.

Yup - efficient they certainly are. Took a pair over to Waiheke in the late 70's to use as FOH PA for a concert, and got stuck on Matiatia wharf waiting for the (late)return ferry. Plugged the A7s into an Akai X5 (a small battery portable reel to reel capable of about a watt a channel with a tail wind) and proceded to make a helluva lot of noise until we were told to turn it down. One of my flatmates (a smallish sort of chap) had this party trick of climbing through the port into a cab and scaring the bejeezus out of (uninformed) visitors by talking to them.

M