Some interesting t/tables on TM right now

These caught my eye, for those after a classic:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Turntables/auction-340549736.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Turntables/auction-340976238.htm

Not forgetting that rather cool Systemdek and the remains of the Townshend Elite. That poor thing looks so pakaru it's almost crying out for some sympathy! A great project for the curious, patient peeps, I reckon.

DD,

Anything with a Linn type mount should bolt straight in. IIRC, they were quite a nice deck, but thought they were inferior to a TD160.. but I am biased :D. The only one I have ever played with was a 'trade in', and it had the Jelco arm as per that deck.

Purupuru?.. my bad :P.. in verbal use means 'stuffed'..should have used an adjective... try takarepa :)

Nak-Mad;142460 wrote:
No, not
purupuru
, it's an OK arm, a good cooking grade cartridge carrier
:D
... basically a rebadged Jelco SA250ST.. (which also turns up as the Mission 774LC etc..
;)
)....

Yep.

Also re-badged as Audioquest, even Oracle.

Decent enough starter arm, about par with a Linn LVX.

Still available new for ~$300USD.

;)

There's a Dunlop System Dek II going also. Manukau City. Linn Basic Arm. Current bid $215 closing saturday.

The Systemdek II borrows many of the design features from the III.

This completely new concept in budget turntables provides an unsurpassed opportunity for audiophiles to experience the immense benefits that a properly engineered signal source will provide.

The outstanding Systemdek record clamp is available in a lightweight version to suit the suspension without upsetting the balance.

Finished in silver and black.

model II with glass platter £115 (1983)

model IIS with 4.75kg concave cast-alloy platter £220 (1984)

Specifications

Motor: 24 pole precision synchronous high torque motor mounted on an anti-vibration assembly

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm (manual change)

Drive system: precision ground flat rubber belt

Platter: 10mm thick, 1.73kg, glass

Record mat: high density lambs wool

Speed drift: nil

Variation under load: 0.15%

Wow and flutter: 0.09%

Rumble: 78/77 dB DIN weighted

Dimensions: 425 x 302 x 112mm

Weight: 4.79kg

Review

The sound was solid and well contained, with a crisp open mid-band. Pitch stability was very good, and the Systemdek II exploited the dynamics and transient attack that are present in the programme - HiFi Choice 1984

IIRC, they were quite a nice deck, but thought they were inferior to a TD160.. but I am biased .

Seeing how slick that AR looks, I'm pleasantly surprised by your observation. My first deck was a TD 165 II and my impression was that it felt quite agricultural but, being Cherman engineering and all, I think it actually wasn't. I did love its musicality, despite my suspicion its set-up was pus.

DD

The TD160 is more solidly constructed than the TD165, but a well tuned one gets close enough for most people. Half an hour with an 8mm socket, a Mk1 eyeball, and some gentle manual deflection during proceedings usually sorts out any suspicious set ups on a coil spring suspended TD ;)