Sign in to follow this  
johnnyC1553552718

viewing welcome..bring a bottle of $20 red wine..

Yep cheeky alright. I'd pop in to New World or Countdown and buy one of their loss leaders. $20.00 wine might cost you $12.00 if your lucky. Then open it as I walk through the door and consume half as I'm listening to some music I've taken along. Anyone else care to come along at the same time? We could all pitch in for a cab:D

Some dudes think that they are doing everyone a big favour by offering their item for sale.

So it cost $6000 in 2000. Denon in NZ was over priced anyway. So who is he doing a favour? What is it hooked up to? The mind boggles.

Icecreamboy is a good dude, a bit weird but a good dude! His system is pretty nice actually, he bought my Nuvista cd player and he has ARC pre amp and I believe Nixon's Tri monos into various speakers...

I bet he wouldn't mind sharing the wine!!

I thought he only use all those vintage gears as he state " keep all the good vintages in NZ", no "widescreen"?????????????

All OZ must agree with him as OZ want all the apple stay in NZ also.

Ha ha ha................

neil;141993 wrote:
Icecreamboy is a good dude, a bit weird but a good dude! His system is pretty nice actually, he bought my Nuvista cd player and he has ARC pre amp and I believe Nixon's Tri monos into various speakers...

I bet he wouldn't mind sharing the wine!!

That was sort of my point in a way. Could end up being a good time:)

Owen Y;141989 wrote:
Some dudes think that they are doing everyone a big favour by offering their item for sale.

There are two sides to that kind of thing.

Sure if you are a retailer, you have to "assume the position" and accept whatever crap the customer deals out. That's what you get your markup for.

Sometimes a trademe vendor (like my listings) is simply trying to clear some space and really doesn't care about sucking up for the maximal dollar (I have a sufficiently profitable business and really don't need TM to survive), hence my attitude is - I'm paying the success fee, so I'll make whatever rules I want (This usually means pickup only). Example - I'm selling an old valve tester at the moment ($30 at present) and some bloke wants me to pack it up and send it to Australia. At my job charge out rate ($75/hour) if I spend more than 24 minutes on this I may as well chuck it in the bin. This assumes packaging materials + petrol to the postoffice costs nothing. OTOH if someone calls by to pick it up I get to have a pleasant conversation which improves my day and the buyer gets to have a look at it before handing over the dosh, thus eliminating possible "It's not what I expected" type recriminations. Win win in my book.

M

He has my Tri's and my Monopulses, just part of a varied collection of pieces. He's a good bloke. Turned out I hadn't listened to my Monopulses in so long I hadn't noticed that one of the tweeters sounded a touch odd. He took it to a repairer who he'd dealt with before (with his other vintage pieces) only to find it was a loose connection (so easily fixed). It should have been me doing the legwork here, but there were no complaints from him. I paid him back for his efforts. I'd trade with him again no worries.

And along with the wine, the $20 would get you in to see his varied array of gear. Very interesting.

[edit] Hmm, just realised I need to change my avatar!

Good idea, might weed out some of the dickhead tyre kickers. I'm partial to 12 year single malt though :)

Ilikecrumpets;142034 wrote:
Good idea, might weed out some of the dickhead tyre kickers. I'm partial to 12 year single malt though
:)

That was my point re consuming half the bottle of wine. I'm sure icecreamboy wouldn't have refused the other half. He's obviously a keen Hi Fi guy and I don't mind him being a bit cheeky. Certainly weeds out the tyre kickers. Imagine two or three enthusiasts rocking up at the same time with a bottle of wine each. It may well end up being a good afternoon.

One trademe trader who bought my Hi Fi rack was a real interesting guy. He literally had a house full of gear he had accumulated over the years. LS3/5a's, Macintosh, Linn and a heap more. Recently sold a Macintosh amp on TM.

A great guy to talk to. If we had more time we probably would have had a couple of drinkies. Takes all sorts.

All good in the end:)

Craig

Good idea, might weed out some of the dickhead tyre kickers. I'm partial to 12 year single malt though

Right that's it. Two westies and a 12 year old Balvenie doublewood listening session post xmas.

Love single malts too but for that I'd expect something rather more special than an old Denon, that rates a cold stubbie.

:P

While you've been going on about the tipples you prefer during gear auditions our friend icectreamboy should be receiving a "visit" from the TM mafia who take a very dim view of sellers offering home demos.

They even slap down buyers who ask for one as I discovered a while back when I was selling a tele. You can put almost as many photos as you like to fully describe the item but offering viewings is seen as trying to cut TM out.

Ross F;142065 wrote:
While you've been going on about the tipples you prefer during gear auditions our friend icectreamboy should be receiving a "visit" from the TM mafia who take a very dim view of sellers offering home demos.

They even slap down buyers who ask for one as I discovered a while back when I was selling a tele. You can put almost as many photos as you like to fully describe the item but offering viewings is seen as trying to cut TM out.

You wouldn't want to buy any of these without a demo :rolleyes:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Aircraft/Aircraft/auction-336507421.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-335849234.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/Residential-property/Houses-for-sale/auction-255493365.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Farming-forestry/Livestock/Cattle/auction-335841478.htm

or even a $33,500 CD player

Seems you can demo some things but others.

:D:D Too true, JC, and TM's cut on these items are a touch more than that off a $300 tele. OTOH the number of $300K Mustangs that change hands must be fairly small

johnnyC;142080 wrote:
You wouldn't want to buy any of these without a demo :rolleyes:

or even a $33,500 CD player

Seems you can demo some things but others.

:D Love your fourth example! I believe they only sell those in Christchurch:)

Senator;142097 wrote:
I'm not much of a boat person, but would gladly give my left one for auction #2

Now, if you were a Russian oligarch you could get yourself one of these http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575181911796253780.html

Saw it moored a couple of years back in the Med. Looks like a white submarine.

Luis;142099 wrote:
Now, if you were a Russian oligarch you could get yourself one of these

Saw it moored a couple of years back in the Med. Looks like a white submarine.

A nice change from the everything-must-be-marble-or-goldplated norm. Although with this....

Numerous companies involved in its construction went bankrupt, done in by the novelty of the project and the level of customization required.

...I suspect it was a cunning ploy by the owner to ensure no other oligarch could use them for their yacht's :rolleyes:

I prefer the Wally boat on 'The Island'. Or is it just because the movie has Scarlett Johnasson in it. I forget :o

Senator;142097 wrote:
I'm not much of a boat person, but would gladly give my left one for auction #2

Mate, it would cost your left one just to secure the flaiming mooring!

Seriously sexy though, I must admit.

omegaspeedy;142094 wrote:
:D
Love your fourth example! I believe they only sell those in Christchurch:)

For those that came in late - the 4th example has "expired".

Closed with no bids and a final note from the seller...

"Because my time is precious and expensive, not like some people's. Gotta go, it's time to listen to some fine music from my multi-$10k system and drink some Tattinger. No Moet for me. They are just not good enough. "

How do you spell... Tosser?

(With due respect to our neil...)