Sign in to follow this  
tmg1553552752

Somebody buy these!!

I wrote that post in high excitement, I see now there's a whole bunch of awesome speakers on there including some Dynaudio's... ahh if only I had money and lived in Christchurch...

They are mostly earthquake damaged insurance jobbies - still there are some bargains to be had here :D

looks like i'll be dropping by and inspecting a few items next week.

I called by today to check out the speakers.

Man, the Tannoy DCT-4's are absolutely tiny. Miniscule. I'm 6' exactly and they don't even reach my waist.

The 6's are OK with a few dings, the ProAc's can hardly even be classed as damage (there's like 2 minor chips out of the finish on the sides) and I can't even see what was wrong with the Dyn floorstanders.

Took some pics below.

Now, for the real hook : they had a set of THESE there waiting to be unpacked and checked. No shit. Keep an eye out on Tardme for them next week.

24112010.jpg

24112010002.jpg

24112010001.jpg

whale;140394 wrote:
Damn.. Pick Ups only!
:(

Yes. Too bad there's not some accomodating forum members prepared to buy and ship on your behalf.

That sounds like an opportunity for someone;)

Tap tap; hello Shane:cool:

More than happy to do that for anyone. just be prepared for a small delay - i have a newborn child.

What a generous offer Gooki!!! I haven't got a kid but I've heard about the lack of sleep that invariably comes with one;-)

It's all true... thankfully I get a hours break for lunch which is enough time to do errands or grab a nap.

and in the future you'll be able to teach him, if its a her your chances are slim;-)

the art of appreciating amazing sound... an audio padawan if you will... I haven't had much sleep as I'm finishing my Masters thesis so apologies if my comments seem a little esoteric;-)

cloth_ears;140399 wrote:
Yes. Too bad there's not some accomodating forum members prepared to buy and ship on your behalf.

That sounds like an opportunity for someone;)

Tap tap; hello Shane:cool:

You rang?

No problem anyone, be glad to do that for you. All you have to do is supply $$$ for auctions as I have none :D

Cheers, Shane.

[edit] you win the auction, get in touch with me and we'll work out the rest.

tmg;140430 wrote:
and in the future you'll be able to teach him, if its a her your chances are slim;-)

Not necessarily - I have two teenage girls and I have provided them systems for their bedrooms that have very good sound. They aren't attracted by the gadgets the way the guys are, but once they have had good sound for a couple of years they are spoilt for anything else.

Blackrazor;140377 wrote:

Now, for the real hook : they had a set of
there waiting to be unpacked and checked. No shit. Keep an eye out on Tardme for them next week.

Looks like they are going to be sold at Turners this weekend, amongst a whole heap of other stuff.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10689867

tmg;140430 wrote:

the art of appreciating amazing sound... an audio padawan if you will... I haven't had much sleep as I'm finishing my Masters thesis so apologies if my comments seem a little esoteric;-)

It's a her, but hey she already gets super excited hearing Vivaldi playing through my Theophany speakers nice and loud. When I actually get a few hours to myself, I'll be building her first stereo system:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11137

No problem with the comments, I've seen my wife end up hospitalised through the stress of completing ones masters thesis. A bit or ramdom online posting is a much better alternative.

gooki;140527 wrote:
Vivaldi playing through my Theophany speakers

My god, Dave, you're really starting to show your age now :P

I'll be a little disappointed if she doesn't know the Autosound 2k Reference Disc contents by heart by the time she's 2, to be honest :D

'The speakers are in phase. The speakers are in phase. The speakers are out of phase. The speakers are out of phase.' ;)

It's a her, but hey she already gets super excited hearing Vivaldi playing through my Theophany speaker

Yay, a nascent "audiofemile". I want to be reading this in 20 years and seeing posts about HAF instead of WAF. :D

Blackrazor;140532 wrote:
My god, Dave, you're really starting to show your age now
:P

I'll be a little disappointed if she doesn't know the Autosound 2k Reference Disc contents by heart by the time she's 2, to be honest
:D

'The speakers are in phase. The speakers are in phase. The speakers are out of phase. The speakers are out of phase.'
;)

Cheers Dan.

For some reason pop music isn't interesting to my baby. It appears she hears it as noise and rightfully dismisses it. Clearly articulated instruments on the other hand, gets her head turning.

Although I must say playing classical music just below reference level isn't a good idea when ones wife is trying to catch up on a lack of sleep.

I'm currently working my way through the Mcintosh Audiophile Test CD with here. Then it's onto James Bond themes preformed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

gooki;140544 wrote:
I'm currently working my way through the Mcintosh Audiophile Test CD with here. Then it's onto James Bond themes preformed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Try some 80's Electro. I want her poppin' and lockin' before she makes it to school age :D

Its funny how different the kids are in their listening tastes. My 5 year old boy is a real rocker - Motorhead, Queens of the Stoneage, Smashing Pumpkins, The Clash etc. Plus he can usually tell who the band playing is which contantly amazes me. He can't stand anything with brass in it though.

My 3 yesar old girl though likes anything with a bit of groove in it. If I'm out in the garage busting out some house tunes she's right into it - bopping around madly. Mind you she likes the Wiggles as well......