Illiteracy on TM

If there's one thing I can not stand, it's the vaguely amusing oxygen thieves on TM and their disastrous attempts at spelling/grammar in their ads.

Here's an example - can you spot the error?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Home-theatre/auction-319255447.htm

And this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Full-systems/auction-319191934.htm

And this one, maybe a rip-off Poineer product? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/CD-players/auction-319218926.htm

And this one, a few 'honest' mistakes here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Amplifiers-tuners/auction-319213796.htm

Now I'm sure most would say these sellers are earthy types, unsophisticated 'salt of the earth' people and deserve to be cut some slack - I'm not so sure...

Let's keep this running, laughing at those less intelligent than myself has given me a lifetime of amusement (ha ha Neil!), and nothing amuses me more than slinging off at people that can't spell for toffee.

Whoofer - Ha ha ha!!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

If you think Tardme is bad, try reading your typical car forums, you'll quickly have an apoplectic fit.

The places are populated by dolts can't distinguish between brakes/breaks, tire/tyre etc.

Trying to search for 'Zildjian', 'Perreaux', 'Sansui', 'Paiste' or even more complicated things like 'Dog' can be tricky on trademe at the best of times.

I've now got three spellings for Perreaux that I search for regularly. Another three for Plinius. 'Zildjian' I gave up on and started searching for 'cymbal', which I now have no less than five incorrect spellings I have to use as well.

'Sansui' misspellings are mind-bogglingly bad. How can people get the name wrong when it's stamped into the thing they've obviously owned for years and is right in front of them!?

The meek shall inherit the earth, and they'll even spell 'earth' incorrectly.

King Size;133765 wrote:
I concur.

Nope, not having a bar of it. People with an even cursory interest in things of a HiFi nature should at least be able to spell the brand names properly.

If I was in charge I'd allow 3 strikes for bad literacy, the third strike would result in this punishment

I don't know Oily Crumb Pits - sometimes I think the greatest thing to aspire to in this world is the ability to be tolerant of other peoples' faults, and their differences. The world would be a more peaceful place if we could all get to that level of humanity. Now what REALLY bugs me is the people that pronounce it Poineer...

Antipodes;133772 wrote:
I don't know Oily Crumb Pits - sometimes I think the greatest thing to aspire to in this world is the ability to be tolerant of other peoples' faults, and their differences. The world would be a more peaceful place if we could all get to that level of humanity. Now what REALLY bugs me is the people that pronounce it Poineer...

Ha ha ha! I guess I'm a touch of a spelling Nazi, winning spelling bees at the age of 7 at school has made me very grammar and spelling conscious.

Pronunciation? A chap that used to come into the shop a few years back always referred to it as "Doby Digital'. My brother enjoys listening to his 'Wharfendale' speakers and Yamaha sub 'wooofer' (emphasis on the 'wooof'), and likes to open the disc tray on his Deeenon cd player.

It's like dragging fingernails on a chalk board.

I heard Neil, Radar and Poindexter were considering turning themselves into a human centipede. Now I'd pay to see that !!

"Can oi pluz huv two fish, a scoop'a chups and a plunius thurty one hundrud?"

The world would be a better place if people could communicate in intelligent, expressive and creative ways. There is no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to read and write properly once they've finished school. To me it just shows a lack of interest. It's those people that allow someone like, for example, Glenn Beck, to become rich and powerful... or Oprah.

Ilikecrumpets;133773 wrote:
I heard Neil, Radar and Poindexter were considering turning themselves into a human centipede. Now I'd pay to see that !!

Who wouldn't pay to see that??!!!!!!????!!!!

The spelling thing is pretty annoying but it really is a sign of the times. Some of these people are our foreign friends who don't quite have a grasp on the English language, and that's understandable, but for others it's simple laziness.