DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

I'll like to see a vid of Steve in the horn's when Dave carries out his first test sweeps :D

Poor Steve might not want the late morning sun anymore if that happens...

Some might say it's always cold down here.....   but it's gone above the forecast maximum today.   12.4

Poured some epoxy into the throat seams last night.   Temp in the garage = 7.   Bottle says do not use below 5.      She'll be right!     ;)

Yeah ... teens to mid twenties and hardly a cloud in the sky since that afternoon it got a bit crazy around here a few weeks ago.

I'll like to see a vid of Steve in the horn's when Dave carries out his first test sweeps :D

;)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Nice work Dave - My cat always inspects all my work also :)

Did some more work on the enclosure today.

I cut the front baffle down to incorporate a taper that leads to the bottom of the enclosure.

post-126265-0-27407200-1431591472_thumb.

The bottom chamber will be heavily braced and sand filled.

Here's how I attached the side bottom panels and the bottom panels - you guessed it - more biscuits :)

post-126265-0-86858300-1431591578_thumb.

post-126265-0-96140300-1431591605_thumb.

post-126265-0-53260200-1431591636_thumb.

Dry fit now and ready for gluing tonight.

post-126265-0-89188400-1431591663_thumb.

The bottom brace in the bass enclosure is still loose as this will add an extra glue point to attach the vent when the rear panel is attached. It's another way of stiffening the enclosure, but it appears skewed in the picture because it is loose.

Edited by L J T
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week I finished and posted off to a guy in Oslo Norway a Bruce Heron design MC phono preamp ("Mimic") based on the OPA2134 OPAMP. Then built two DC blockers ("The DC Duffer") for a fellow SNA member which were collected last night. So a big couple of weeks.

I have since had a request for another tube MM phono preamp. I just happen to have a tube preamp kit which has never even been opened. I have had it for near twelve months. Today I hope to assemble the cct. brd. Even of the request doesn't lead to a sale I have wanted a tube phono preamp for myself after building one for a Melboure Audio Club member. I think the iron is still hot from the all the work to date. Here we go again.

I'm planning to build a 25hz (front loaded) horn subwoofer, and use it as an ottoman / table / footrest for the listening room.    I reckon this will be the queue to get rid of the 3x subwoofers.

@@davewantsmoore According to some, it's better to have multiple low frequency sources rather than one, look forward to your experiences with this;

How big is your room ?

Edited by murrmax

Not exactly audio but it helps me when I'm building audio :)

It's a sensor driven power point to use mainly with my vacuum cleaner. I got sick to death of bending down & fighting with the switch to turn it on & off over & over & over. Now all I have to do is wave my hand in front of the sensor and it turns the vac on, wave my hand again and its off. I can turn the sensor off & just use it as a normal power point as well.

post-109620-0-52062800-1432898931_thumb.

post-109620-0-91943600-1432898937_thumb.

• Like 5

Not exactly audio but it helps me when I'm building audio :)

It's a sensor driven power point to use mainly with my vacuum cleaner. I got sick to death of bending down & fighting with the switch to turn it on & off over & over & over. Now all I have to do is wave my hand in front of the sensor and it turns the vac on, wave my hand again and its off. I can turn the sensor off & just use it as a normal power point as well.

Where did you get the sensor from?

:)

built some tiny bookshelf speakers using 4" Peerless HDS driver and SB Acoustics SB26STCN and im surprised how well they turned out.. Sealed box of 3lts so bass isnt very impressive, but the midrange and top end clarity and detail is pretty awesome.. I paired them up with a smaller woofer system comprising of twin 5" SB15NRX drivers in a 20lt box to keep is smallish with a built in 160 watt amp. Altogether they sound a large pair of floor standers haha very happy for a small bedroom application :-)

• Like 2

Where did you get the sensor from?

:)

From here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181626812998?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT & the Nano from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181417343726?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this is what I did.

I already had the PP, relays & PSU

post-109620-0-46459300-1432979810_thumb.

Edited by DQ828

built some tiny bookshelf speakers using 4" Peerless HDS driver and SB Acoustics SB26STCN and im surprised how well they turned out.. Sealed box of 3lts so bass isnt very impressive, but the midrange and top end clarity and detail is pretty awesome.. I paired them up with a smaller woofer system comprising of twin 5" SB15NRX drivers in a 20lt box to keep is smallish with a built in 160 watt amp. Altogether they sound a large pair of floor standers haha very happy for a small bedroom application :-)

Pictures :)

It might do, ideally should should be able to adjust the sensitivity, Ive got mine set so I have to almost touch the sensor to turn it on & off, otherwise it will go off accidentally much more often.

Aldi were selling some sort of remote PP that looked like it might work but I cannot find them on their website now.

It might do, ideally should should be able to adjust the sensitivity, Ive got mine set so I have to almost touch the sensor to turn it on & off, otherwise it will go off accidentally much more often.

Aldi were selling some sort of remote PP that looked like it might work but I cannot find them on their website now.

I was looking at them in-store the other day when the better half was shopping, but it still brings you back to having to press a button.