Paul Spencer

DIY audio: what are you building?

On 11/05/2019 at 12:03 PM, Batty said:

New pre amp on the cards for me, another GB on DIYAudio.

Yarra Pre with Melbourne cards inside about 16dB gain.

The unity gain B1 is not enough to drive the M2X to full power.

You could also consider the Salas DCG3 or DIY Nutube both of which I have built for the same purpose.

Yes, looking at the Nutube too.

On 11/05/2019 at 12:09 PM, mwhouston said:

With lid on.  Should add 2.5mV (RMS) of noise under worse case conditions. Low for a power amp. Should produce about 60W.

13DE9444-251C-4EFF-A0A5-EF2C62BBC9C9.jpeg

That cute roundy thing on the right... what sort of source is it?

Cheers,

Alberto

40 minutes ago, betocool said:

That cute roundy thing on the right... what sort of source is it?

Cheers,

Alberto

A crude CD player I got for nothing when signed up for a years subscription to Time magazine 25 years ago. It’s only my test source and the small Tandy speakers also part of the test setup. Thought the speakers now have a proper Xover and magnesium/Al 4” woofer mids. 

Just my standard test setup. The CD player also has line out and runs on batteries (as here) or external plug pack. OK as a freebie. 

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

A crude CD player I got for nothing when signed up for a years subscription to Time magazine 25 years ago. It’s only my test source and the small Tandy speakers also part of the test setup. Thought the speakers now have a proper Xover and magnesium/Al 4” woofer mids. 

Just my standard test setup. The CD player also has line out and runs on batteries (as here) or external plug pack. OK as a freebie. 

I was messin' with you a bit. In my youth I owned a number of those, good for long trips on the bus or planes. Hadn't seen one in years! I've had Sony, Aiwa, Cheapo, Panasonic I think? They had this acronym for non-jumping players... ESP technology?

Cheers,

Alberto

15 hours ago, betocool said:

I was messin' with you a bit. In my youth I owned a number of those, good for long trips on the bus or planes. Hadn't seen one in years! I've had Sony, Aiwa, Cheapo, Panasonic I think? They had this acronym for non-jumping players... ESP technology?

Cheers,

Alberto

Yes, I remember having one of those velcro'd to the console in the old Toyota Camry. ESP (Sony) = Electronic Shock Protection, which was basically a bigger memory buffer.

Posted (edited)

Assembled not wired. The seventh in the “Wood Cheek” series. Two sold still have five (now). This one is a hybrid headphone amp. Tube front end and OPAMP (think CMoy style) back end. Two inputs on the rear.

The front end is a 4SU type meaning any 12A?7 can be plugged in with no tweaking of passives. A tube rollers delight. External DC supply driven by a 24VAC wall wart. 

F0AE10AB-D2ED-4EF9-BB4B-B6809CB6524B.jpeg

D0F29D55-3CFC-433C-9205-3E6F06830C9A.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston

The Cmoy, that's the one in the Altoids can? I have a similar build with 2x NE5534 in parallel and it sounds superb.

Cheers,

Alberto

Can I convince any other tube amp builder out there in DIYLand to have a go at a wine box tube amp. External Tranni box  allows you to build a few with their own unique PS internally but use the same Tranni box. 

The tranni box box is two 12V 300VA Trannies back to back to produce 250VAC and 12VAC for the two 6V filaments (in series). 

Take another look at mine. Happy to help anyone who wants to have a go. Think about it you can use up a few of those tubes which have sat around for years and any other odd parts not getting use. The box is $9 from Dan’s.

CBB1D638-0C71-433A-ABE7-B70A95AF8546.jpeg

D4472909-7633-4A1E-B904-25C40304AE9E.jpeg

Can I convince any other tube amp builder out there in DIYLand to have a go at a wine box tube amp. External Tranni box  allows you to build a few with their own unique PS internally but use the same Tranni box. 

The tranni box box is two 12V 300VA Trannies back to back to produce 250VAC and 12VAC for the two 6V filaments (in series). 

Take another look at mine. Happy to help anyone who wants to have a go. Think about it you can use up a few of those tubes which have sat around for years and any other odd parts not getting use. The box is $9 from Dan’s.
CBB1D638-0C71-433A-ABE7-B70A95AF8546.jpeg.b48f98aee37cadf01071a2288eb322bf.jpeg
D4472909-7633-4A1E-B904-25C40304AE9E.jpeg.cce41f9c3506d4fbe2d115f33207345d.jpeg

I would be keen to have a look ? What tubes does it use ?
AJ