Paul Spencer

DIY audio: what are you building?

Now I have six filters to select from between fast, slow, sharp cut off super slow etc. can someone suggest which they have used and like and why.

Ta in advance. 

Mostly finished now.. just a couple of small details left of the cabinet design and on to designing a passive crossover.. they sound great with a DSP crossover and a basic shelving filter

IMG_20191018_152841_HDR.thumb.jpg.f556a92d5606a13617924343db152d54.jpg

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Now I have six filters to select from between fast, slow, sharp cut off super slow etc. can someone suggest which they have used and like and why.

Ta in advance. 

Short sharp has always been the best balance for me.The SS filter has the best musicality ,in terms of timming, and the most powerful bass. Don't really like any of the other filters in my system.

Been busy tidying up wiring runs and layout in my DSC1 dac. Waiting for an HDMI-12S receiver board to alow direct connection of my new Raspberry PI4 music player.

Dac doesn't look quite as untidy in real life. Have to order some new non solid core screened cable for the output connections as the solid core I am using in some places in the dac is just too brittle.

Will take some pics of the Pi player when I move it to it's new case. It is made up of :

Pi4 2gb

Active cooling and heat sink

Ian Canada Fifopi reclocker and isolator

Ian Canada HDMI-I2S transmitter

Allo Shanti power supply

Volumio OS

dac.jjpg.jpg

1 hour ago, Ozcall said:

Short sharp has always been the best balance for me.The SS filter has the best musicality ,in terms of timming, and the most powerful bass. Don't really like any of the other filters in my system.

That’s what I have been using and sounds OK. 

Thanks. 

OK, dealt with the muting issue that followed after going non oversampling, the work around was on the Lampizator site.

No strange sound at start of play or skipping between tracks:party

But..... damn! I hate soldering to legs on these spider chips! :ban:

20191018_201324.jpg.469c45cb07911f4a17470f17cebb2004.jpg

Awesome result.  Congratulations on the upgrade  :)

23 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Different amp etc.

Yep. Different amp fixed it (or cable, or connector, or something else in the main rig) 🙄

I’ve still got so much to learn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

46 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Awesome result.  Congratulations on the upgrade  :)

For me, yes, but then, Matt.......... you know what I am like soldering and have seen me solder my hand quite well at one time xD

:thumb:

Just now, Muon N' said:

For me, yes, but then, Matt.......... you know what I am like soldering and have seen me solder my hand quite well at one time xD

:thumb:

Quite painful....  I've not grabbed the wrong end just yet though have burned myself a few times.  Your soldering still beats mine. ;)

1 minute ago, MattyW said:

Quite painful....  I've not grabbed the wrong end just yet though have burned myself a few times.  Your soldering still beats mine. ;)

Bit more practice an you will be way ahead of me, I can only get worse from now ;)

6 hours ago, Ozcall said:

Been busy tidying up wiring runs and layout in my DSC1 dac. Waiting for an HDMI-12S receiver board to alow direct connection of my new Raspberry PI4 music player.

Dac doesn't look quite as untidy in real life. Have to order some new non solid core screened cable for the output connections as the solid core I am using in some places in the dac is just too brittle.

Will take some pics of the Pi player when I move it to it's new case. It is made up of :

Pi4 2gb

Active cooling and heat sink

Ian Canada Fifopi reclocker and isolator

Ian Canada HDMI-I2S transmitter

Allo Shanti power supply

Volumio OS

dac.jjpg.jpg

The long green brd. with the trannies. What is it. I’ve seen them For sale.

14 hours ago, mwhouston said:

The long green brd. with the trannies. What is it. I’ve seen them For sale.

It is the dac board. It is based on the original design from Signalyst. It only accepts a dsd signal but can be  used with pcm by using software upsampling on a powerful computer or as I have done, using hardware resampling on the input board via an AK4137 upsampler chip. This dac completely outperforms my daul AK4495 board from the same manufacturer. Great thing about this board is it's comparatively low cost and the fact that it only requires 3x5v input to make it work. I use 2x Lt3045 regulators for the 2 channels the other 5 v input is simply to run the output relay. I think the board is a bargain.

4 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

It is the dac board. It is based on the original design from Signalyst. It only accepts a dsd signal but can be  used with pcm by using software upsampling on a powerful computer or as I have done, using hardware resampling on the input board via an AK4137 upsampler chip. This dac completely outperforms my daul AK4495 board from the same manufacturer. Great thing about this board is it's comparatively low cost and the fact that it only requires 3x5v input to make it work. I use 2x Lt3045 regulators for the 2 channels the other 5 v input is simply to run the output relay. I think the board is a bargain.

Looks rather interesting. Output trannies really do make a huge difference. I wish the Chinese DAC's would use them rather than OPAMPS.

16 hours ago, Muon N' said:

OK, dealt with the muting issue that followed after going non oversampling, the work around was on the Lampizator site.

No strange sound at start of play or skipping between tracks:party

But..... damn! I hate soldering to legs on these spider chips! :ban:

20191018_201324.jpg.469c45cb07911f4a17470f17cebb2004.jpg

Is this solder pad on the same trace? Might be easier than soldering onto chip leads.

chip.jpg.86d91507375152cd84e19439b65cb262.jpg

Is this solder pad on the same trace? May be easier than soldering onto the chip leg.

Edited by bob_m_54