Paul Spencer

DIY audio: what are you building?

Tuyen,  that is looking a little bit serious!

On 13/07/2019 at 7:04 AM, tuyen said:

Vacuum tube audio sp14 preamp with premium parts. 

Time to wire her up...

93DE4C31-6CDF-4B97-9B10-3907E9E1FD7D.jpeg

I like ya' part choices :thumb:

Decided to fit the Acos GST-1 to the luxman PD264.

A big cutout required, but I think it worked.

DSC_0219.thumb.JPG.17ee476093804e65a05bb446865c21da.JPG

DSC_0218.thumb.JPG.477c65bfb50a16cbb099bae405745f55.JPG

I didn't realise the GST-1 had height adjustment.

25 minutes ago, Batty said:

Decided to fit the Acos GST-1 to the luxman PD264.

A big cutout required, but I think it worked.

DSC_0219.thumb.JPG.17ee476093804e65a05bb446865c21da.JPG

DSC_0218.thumb.JPG.477c65bfb50a16cbb099bae405745f55.JPG

Looks good so far.

I need to polish the platter and raise the base height a few cm to fit the Jelco cable for it

On 26/06/2019 at 11:09 PM, McCvinyl said:

After some positive results from using rubber blocks from Bunnings l decided to take it to the next level and go maglev. So got busy on the lathe, studied up and invested in some ring magnets and come up with these.

Any way they look cool but there is a crappy friction coefficient with the aluminium body and the brass shaft so next is a ptfe or similar insert for the shaft to move more freely. Watch this space.

36256DF1-312B-4EB7-8968-01ED7635E196.jpeg

Wow looks awesome.  Any updates?

Just finished up building my own focal centre speaker using flax drivers. The enclosure was an existing old mirage centre speaker I had laying around. I must say it does sound very good.
943FCA11-E671-44D2-A5B2-FB0DDD548727.thumb.jpeg.78c4a43f898a953323cc46c50e1ae870.jpeg
Where did you get the focal drivers?

Are they car audio drivers

13 hours ago, Jesper64 said:

Wow looks awesome.  Any updates?

Cheers mate, I have not progressed any further yet due to spare time being scarce but hopefully this week I can pick up some material and finish the next step. They are a real bugger to get underneath and into position trying to lift a 30+kg table with one hand and squeeze together the feet and try to slide them into position as each one has to be an equal distance from the center of gravity of the table.

On 13/07/2019 at 10:04 PM, tuyen said:

Vacuum tube audio sp14 preamp with premium parts. 

Time to wire her up...

93DE4C31-6CDF-4B97-9B10-3907E9E1FD7D.jpeg

Bloody hell Tuyen - Back with a vengeance!!  😎

I won these Van den Hull interconnects at an audio demo. Soon after using them two of the RCAs fell off. I have since replaced them with Jaycar earth first better connectors. Unfortunately Jaycar no longer stocks these better RCAs.

5EEE1F2E-434F-4894-A2AB-A3750EB58125.jpeg

I won these Van den Hull interconnects at an audio demo. Soon after using them two of the RCAs fell off. I have since replaced them with Jaycar earth first better connectors. Unfortunately Jaycar no longer stocks these better RCAs.
5EEE1F2E-434F-4894-A2AB-A3750EB58125.thumb.jpeg.a3926a1f16cf4743088e291355da08c1.jpeg

Shame, they look like decent connectors

Ok. I’ve been somewhat active on sna for over 5 years and I’ve never ventured into any of the diy forums but I saw a picture of these

D427CD49-682C-4A82-8CC2-5367AEF41C81.jpeg.20c3d5587ed00d51006c8c77e0d84226.jpeg

my first thought was "ooh nice" and my second thought was "hey I could build something like that" so I have a couple of questions. 

1. Am I insane?

2. With a full-range driver, can I dispense with all the electronics stuff. I’m a passingly good wood worker (I recently rebuilt the entire inside of a caravan pretty successfully and I have access to a decent range of good tools) but I’m high school elective-level with electronics

3. I probably won’t be able to spend more than about $500ish all up on them for parts/materials. Is that realistic? I know I can get the timber for probably a few hundred dollars but what does an acceptable full-range driver cost? Is there a particular one to seek out/avoid. I like the look of the wizzes ones and I’ve heard of lowther and fostex but I don’t know much about them. I already have a pair of speakers that I love so I don’t need these to be high end, just good efficient speakers to enjoy in a second space (if I’m honest, I don’t even have a second space but I’ll worry about that later)

4. I’ve seen that there are calculators and stuff for helping design cabinets online. Should I start there or should I find drivers first or what?

any helpful advice or dire warnings would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Simon

On 19/07/2019 at 3:25 PM, Benjet said:

Shame, they look like decent connectors

Well at least I can use them now. 

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Ok. I’ve been somewhat active on sna for over 5 years and I’ve never ventured into any of the diy forums but I saw a picture of these

D427CD49-682C-4A82-8CC2-5367AEF41C81.jpeg.20c3d5587ed00d51006c8c77e0d84226.jpeg

my first thought was "ooh nice" and my second thought was "hey I could build something like that" so I have a couple of questions. 

1. Am I insane?

2. With a full-range driver, can I dispense with all the electronics stuff. I’m a passingly good wood worker (I recently rebuilt the entire inside of a caravan pretty successfully and I have access to a decent range of good tools) but I’m high school elective-level with electronics

3. I probably won’t be able to spend more than about $500ish all up on them for parts/materials. Is that realistic? I know I can get the timber for probably a few hundred dollars but what does an acceptable full-range driver cost? Is there a particular one to seek out/avoid. I like the look of the wizzes ones and I’ve heard of lowther and fostex but I don’t know much about them. I already have a pair of speakers that I love so I don’t need these to be high end, just good efficient speakers to enjoy in a second space (if I’m honest, I don’t even have a second space but I’ll worry about that later)

4. I’ve seen that there are calculators and stuff for helping design cabinets online. Should I start there or should I find drivers first or what?

any helpful advice or dire warnings would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Simon

Beauty of full range drivers is no cross over and no electronics. The Mark Audio range of drivers will outperform the Fostex (talking 8”) drivers but the the Fostex are slightly more efficient. The cost is about the same. I’ve built a number of Fostex base boxes and one Mark Audio speaker.  The Mark Audio drivers will outperform the Fostex. 

There is plenty of online calculators for port calculations if required. Give it a go. I’ll post some links to my builds.