Paul Spencer

DIY audio: what are you building?

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Oh I see.  However that was the result of a quick search I did.  I didn't look closely. That isn't the one I bought,  I actually bought one that has the Topping name on the top left, not Aimpire.    I hope I didn't get a fake.

Any pointers on how to identify a fake?

D9D6D6DC-777E-4132-B2BC-DDA072B06CF5.jpeg.f70718c15ac7a8e90bbabc7e095c5886.jpeg

Guest Muon N'

Another thing I now am thinking "should have done this ages ago"

Changed the brass binding posts to the older ETI Trillium Copper pods, only bothered with the 8 ohm taps as that's all I ever use.

No brass connectors now, except one pair of unknown plugs on one end of my RCA's, I better attend to them this week also, to be sure to be sure :D

20200114_140023.jpg.77053fbe2434456e5d4e889410e66465.jpg

1 hour ago, krakatana said:

If it has the Topping name it would be genuine.

I just further verified it is real.  I found a letter from Topping (online) that lists the company that I bought it from as  an authorized seller on amazon australia

54 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

They do look cool. Unfortunately they preclude the use of HATs 

are the 4s supposed to have a better sounding USB out? That would mean less need for i2s DACs

Edited by RankStranger

You could take the open air approach :)

This one has a Pi 3B+ on it but the next one will have Pi4, so maybe I'll have to factor in a heatsink.

It's a would in progress that got delayed after my DAC's USB input stopped working.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

49 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

They do look cool. Unfortunately they preclude the use of HATs 

are the 4s supposed to have a better sounding USB out? That would mean less need for i2s DACs

Wifi and BT? With all encumbered metal HS. MY Solution cost a bag if assorted holes and a $2 HS. No wifi issues here. 

I have an electrical question that you might be able to clarify for me. As I mentioned, I’m looking at putting my Pi/dac combo in a project box with a power supply. There are 3 ways to power the Pi/Boss pairing. Either direct into the boss, direct into the Pi or remove a jumper and power each separately. Maybe explained better here

68BB70CA-2EE3-491F-BDC0-4A57B30CC5A7.thumb.jpeg.bb722d8334f857a33722e2bfce085eb0.jpeg

my question is, if the point of separating the dac and Pi is to power each separately, does it defeat the purpose to use a power supply with a dual output such as this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32861366138.html

like, is it still basically powering them both from one power supply, so I may as well just plug a single output supply straight into the dac and be done with it, if I’m not going to have two actual separate supplies. 

I’m learning a bit about power supplies but I'm still enough of a n00b that I can’t think my way through this and I can’t find the answer online. Thanks for any help

5 hours ago, DQ828 said:

You could take the open air approach :)

This one has a Pi 3B+ on it but the next one will have Pi4, so maybe I'll have to factor in a heatsink.

It's a would in progress that got delayed after my DAC's USB input stopped working.

Hi DQ828,

That looks very nice. 

10 hours ago, RankStranger said:

my question is, if the point of separating the dac and Pi is to power each separately, does it defeat the purpose to use a power supply with a dual output such as this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32861366138.html

like, is it still basically powering them both from one power supply, so I may as well just plug a single output supply straight into the dac and be done with it, if I’m not going to have two actual separate supplies. 

That dual output power supply, just from the picture, appears to have duplicated filtering, but a common regulator and transformer.  

My initial assumption with stuff like the Pi etc, is that it's design includes sufficient power supply filtering on board, to ensure it can work reliably from whatever USB power is plugged into it.  Therefore, it seems to me that you are just doubling down on the filtering if you power them separately - for, I suspect, marginal advantage.

Edited by aussievintage

13 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I have an electrical question that you might be able to clarify for me. As I mentioned, I’m looking at putting my Pi/dac combo in a project box with a power supply. There are 3 ways to power the Pi/Boss pairing. Either direct into the boss, direct into the Pi or remove a jumper and power each separately. Maybe explained better here

68BB70CA-2EE3-491F-BDC0-4A57B30CC5A7.thumb.jpeg.bb722d8334f857a33722e2bfce085eb0.jpeg

I’m learning a bit about power supplies but I'm still enough of a n00b that I can’t think my way through this and I can’t find the answer online. Thanks for any help

I dont think it will matter as the DAC & Pi are not isolated from each other (I assume) As long as you use a good quality low noise supply.

My Tubes4HiFi VTA built M-125 amps were quite noisy, ≈53db.

I reworked them and quietened them by about 40db to ≈93db

The complete story teaching VTA M-125 to sing includes instructions

Some techniques may apply to any electronics

Before_n_After.jpg

Edited by IEales

6 hours ago, IEales said:

If reworking them at home after purchase yields a 40dB SNR improvement it must be a pretty crap design and build. I've never built a tube amp with an SNR that poor, even throwing together a proto on a bit of MDF wired with clip leads.

8 hours ago, IEales said:

Sounds like you should have accepted Bob's offer to take them back (given you are in the US).  Many happy users - including me - who have had no such issues with design / noise / build.  Disappointed to hear you had a bad experience but sounds like the exception, not the rule.

10 hours ago, A9X said:

If reworking them at home after purchase yields a 40dB SNR improvement it must be a pretty crap design and build. I've never built a tube amp with an SNR that poor, even throwing together a proto on a bit of MDF wired with clip leads.

The circuit design is fine. The amps sound quite lovely.

The system design could be better as is shown by the improvement.

Tubes4HiFi / VTA build is abysmal as is the support.

8 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

Sounds like you should have accepted Bob's offer to take them back (given you are in the US).  Many happy users - including me - who have had no such issues with design / noise / build.  Disappointed to hear you had a bad experience but sounds like the exception, not the rule.

Not really an option to send them back as I'd spent a long time choosing.

I'd be curious to 

I'd reviewed the circuit and as a retired electronics engineer, I knew I could fix the poor construction and probably fix the design flaws.

Since creating the topic two weeks ago, I've had many emails from others who are less than thrilled with the support received and who also had their posts removed from DTAF.

In a telephone conversation with another purchaser yesterday, he was quite annoyed as he based his purchase decision on the overwhelmingly positive feedback on DTAF.

DTAF is little more than a propaganda site.

F1194B09-7C81-4113-8893-65312CDAB014.jpeg.ffd50fb7681860c7f10005cabc96d063.jpeg5F887F04-AE71-43EA-9C3F-E9CC23AE1511.jpeg.715a069b335039c7dac7dbedaaa68644.jpeg

two braced boxes. Pretty chuffed with how it went. $16 hole saw went through the mdf like a hot lukewarm knife through butter. 

On 17/01/2020 at 2:48 AM, IEales said:

DTAF is little more than a propaganda site.

'scuse iggerance, but what's dtaf ?

acronyms are okay if you recognise them, but i'm lost

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

I'm with scruffy1 - what is dtaf please?

Guest Muon N'

29 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

I'm with scruffy1 - what is dtaf please?

I would guess..

Dynaco

Tube

Audio

Forum

Correct 
DTAF is Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

It is run by Messrs. Latino & Mottram who brook little criticism.

thanks

we might all be audiophiles, but some have larger files

thanks

we might all be audiophiles, but some have larger files

I wonder if you only drink lager beer would you be a “Lagerphile”.

Edited by mwhouston