Jump to content

DIY audio: what are you building?


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, itsparks said:

 

The  EnABL pattern "feature" has no effect at all other than pretty dots.  "PERIOD "

Until such time as you actually hear 2 pair of propery set up done & not done you are only speculating and your assertion has zero merit.

 

Indeed there are those who do not have the hearing acuity to discern the differences or who listen to other things than what EnABL brings will get no benefit. 

 

But ther eis a difference and you can discern it EnABL can bring a whole new level of information from your hifi.

 

It takes me less than 30 sec in a double blind test (with approprite recordings) in a doule blind to pick out teh EnABLed drivers. The 1st time it took an afternoon for me to tease out the differences but once you know what is now there it seems stark.

 

dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stereo Subs & Two Way Monitor Build   It’s been slow going on my two way monitor with stereo sub build but I’ve finally finished finished one of the two subs!!!   The subs are 10inch CSS drive

Thanks Pete Sure! Pretty much just used common spray acrylics (cans) for the whole job. Not shy of using 2k but just trying to save on costs.  After the cabs where routed i gave th

Finally finished my 6sn7 preamp. 😀 not a bad outcome considering 50% material was recycled. Thanks a lot mwhouston for schematics.

3 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Until such time as you actually hear 2 pair of propery set up done & not done you are only speculating and your assertion has zero merit.

 

Indeed there are those who do not have the hearing acuity to discern the differences or who listen to other things than what EnABL brings will get no benefit. 

 

But ther eis a difference and you can discern it EnABL can bring a whole new level of information from your hifi.

 

It takes me less than 30 sec in a double blind test (with approprite recordings) in a doule blind to pick out teh EnABLed drivers. The 1st time it took an afternoon for me to tease out the differences but once you know what is now there it seems stark.

 

dave

 

I call bull ****, Please provide properly documented data to prove with out BULL **** graphs that are fake. 

 

100$ say's  I could  put a pair of speakers in a room blind fold you, and you couldn't tell the difference.

 

it's the same thing as people saying OH I hear a difference when using a pair of speaker cable lifters off the floor !  It's BULL **** ! In the long run, its about MONEY and how many fools you can doup, into hocus puku's trickery!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the kind of response expected. 

 

Without an open mind you likely could not “hear” the difference even if you could.

 

You of course are free to ignore it, others can make their own evaluations, and if you haven’t heard it, you have no basis for complaint.

 

dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Just the kind of response expected. 

 

Without an open mind you likely could not “hear” the difference even if you could.

 

You of course are free to ignore it, others can make their own evaluations, and if you haven’t heard it, you have no basis for complaint.

 

dave

Literally just proved my point ! thanks !

 

I'll let people know they have to "imagine" there is a difference because there is no measured proof.  Imagine I had millions of Dollars in my bank account !! Damn. !!

Link to post
Share on other sites


There are many people with the same head-inpthe-sand attitude you have.

 

1[sup]st[/sup], anyone who believes that measurements can tell you everything about how something sounds are greatly deluded.

 

The “big” differences are how well the really small stuff is reproduced. And that is VERY hard to measure. There are measures that show differences but they ar every much open to interpretation.

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/garyP-test/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/johnK-test/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/BD/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/BD/

 

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AB/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/BD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/CD/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/BD/

 

 

Have at it.

 

dave

Edited by planet10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, planet10 said:

There are many people with the same head-inpthe-sand attitude you have.

 

1[sup]st[/sup], anyone who believes that measurements can tell you everything about how something sounds are greatly deluded.

 

The “big” differences are how well the really small stuff is reproduced. And that is VERY hard to measure. There are measures that show differences but they ar every much open to interpretation.

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/garyP-test/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/johnK-test/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/IR/BD/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/spectro/BD/

 

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AB/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/BD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/waterfall/CD/

 

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/AC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/AD/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/BC/

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/bud-corner/mige-test/wavelet/BD/

 

 

Have at it.

 

dave

 

Any physical change that causes a difference in how the sound is reproduced can be measured. Measurements won't tell you how it sounds, only that it has changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

 

Any physical change that causes a difference in how the sound is reproduced can be measured. Measurements won't tell you how it sounds, only that it has changed.

 

 

As long as you know what it is you should be measuring.  xD

 

Andy

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Best done with a green felt tipped pen though..

We would be looking to mach the colour scheme of the listening room. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

We would be looking to mach the colour scheme of the listening room. 

 

No, I want a nice contrasty sound  :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, muon* said:

84d27176d311630fef94e124172b0672.jpg.5b98b85f20fb5c92aedb0c4eb3bed237.jpg

Yeah, that's very funny. But nowhere near as funny as people thinking subtle changes in audio reproduction, that can be heard, can't be measured because "we don't have the technology".

 

Will-Smith-With-Big-Ears-Funny-Picture.jpg.53e75a966a873698cfee87b4086244e2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Yeah, that's very funny. But nowhere near as funny as people thinking subtle changes in audio reproduction, that can be heard, can't be measured because "we don't have the technology".

 

Will-Smith-With-Big-Ears-Funny-Picture.jpg.53e75a966a873698cfee87b4086244e2.jpg

If you painted some pattern dots around his ears, it would sound way better !^^^-^^^

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Yeah, that's very funny. But nowhere near as funny as people thinking subtle changes in audio reproduction, that can be heard, can't be measured because "we don't have the technology".

 

Will-Smith-With-Big-Ears-Funny-Picture.jpg.53e75a966a873698cfee87b4086244e2.jpg

Agree here. We can’t detect “a little better” or subtle changes. Gross changes maybe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue is people use themselves and their own individual experience to measure what others can and can not perceive.

Using a data set comprised of 1 subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the topic. I'm building a new Melwood No. 3263 man cave out the back to house all me valves. This is a very important 'audio build' for me as 168m2 of internal floor space in the main house has already been filled up with glass bottles, valve amps and valve testers amongst the other trivial audio staff you find in listening rooms around the house. 🤣🤣🤣

 

20210130_002652.jpg

 

Edit: I need recommendations on vintage storage solutions for archiving my tube collection to take me back to the mid 20th century. An example of what I am looking for is below. 👍👍👍

 

Ashtray recommendations for pipe and tobacco smoking are also welcomed. 🤭

 

20210123_092331.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Thought i'd give the old Desktop setups some diy speaker love.

 

White for the wife's setup and Gunmetal Grey for me :) 

 

IMG_20210130_132948-L.jpg

 

 

IMG_20210130_133119-L.jpg

 

 

 

IMG_20210130_133244-L.jpg

 

 

And dark for me :)

 

 

IMG_20210202_160044-L.jpg

 

 

IMG_20210202_150140-L.jpg

 

 

 

IMG_20210202_183800-L.jpg

 

 

IMG_20210202_151914-L.jpg

 

 

 

IMG_20210202_151841-L.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Built a tube Radi0kit MM phono preamp a few months back and also used their kit PS. Both very, very good. Had a temp setup and listening to vinyl on phones using the new tube phono stage. Good for a couple of days then I did a slight rearrangement with the phono stage and from then on it has a huge hum. 
 

Spent a little time at this point trying to workout what went wrong. Then spent all of yesterday morning again trying to find what happen. I had a second PS board complete and swapped it over. No improvement. Anyway it proved the PS good. Pulled the phono stage apart, checking components etc and solder joints. All good.

 

I decided to make a whole new phono stage as  I had another un-assembled kit. But laying awake last night I thought today I will try some different earthing setups. Sure enough connecting the negative of the HT to the Al chassis and mains earth to that (the PS enclosure is at mains earth) the hum vanished. 
 

What I think happened was at the initial construction the negative of the PS was touching the chassis (by accident) as I was using insulated RCAs this - initially- wasn’t meant to happen. When I moved the preamp a few days later that accidental connection was broken. 
 

Long story short the phono stage is back in service and sounds excellent. No hum and nice and detailed. Good looking too. 

E2C830FB-452B-4788-90B8-3964E8A9865A.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a chassis with a fully assembled PS in it but no amp board. I happen to have a Tripath 180W T4 (latest release) on hand and brought the two together. Initially I want an attenuator with the amp so a preamp was not required but I could not get this setup quiet enough.
 

Now it is a power amp (100W based on PS limits) and sounding really very nice. I noticed on a few tracks, while playing it loud, bass drum in an orchestra was extremely percussive. You could feel the air in the room compressing. Chest slapping.

 

I wondered how low the amp would play. Using warble tones the amp is dead flat to 30hZ (where the front door rattles) near the limit of my 12” speakers (Fs=25hZ). Some output at 25hZ then nothing at 20. Box is 60ltr sealed. This beats my 500W Holton which’s is down 3db at 30HZ. Not bad for a very inexpensive detailed and warm sounding amp. 

62CCB7B4-C4F8-4746-871E-A123FF5BAC16.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Want make an excellent sounding tube SRPP preamp. Not including, PS this is all you need. 

6A194428-0407-4365-9D06-924F35784B3E.jpeg

 

 

Looks good to me, but doesn't it need to be connected all together :P  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, itsparks said:

 

 

Looks good to me, but doesn't it need to be connected all together :P  

 

 

I’m going for a big open sound. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I’m going for a big open sound. 

 

Mission Accomplished! Might I also add that, power efficient too ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Want make an excellent sounding tube SRPP preamp. Not including, PS this is all you need. 

 

 

And don’t anyone think the tea towel is optional!

;)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Steffen said:

 

And don’t anyone think the tea towel is optional!

;)

 

 

 

The whole setup is missing the bottle of whisky.  You can't work on high voltages sober :)  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Steffen said:

 

And don’t anyone think the tea towel is optional!

;)

 

That's the new "hidden" isolation pad for all the vibrations to be removed !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assembled not wired. Two selectable inputs.

7F0A76B6-ECE6-4710-A903-190E52DD3066.jpeg

66071D1C-23C2-4423-A16D-B0322DA7B02E.jpeg

17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

 

 

The whole setup is missing the bottle of whisky.  You can't work on high voltages sober :)  

I’m about to shop. Need a break. Whiskeys on the list. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

 

 

The whole setup is missing the bottle of whisky.  You can't work on high voltages sober :)  

This should get me through.

7A59043F-9D38-4509-9792-1D6B48457E1B.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

Are those 3 bottles lined up along a mirror or you got a 2 for 1 deal?

Someone coming for dinner tomorrow so need a bubbly and red extra.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some PCB's And parts for a few mono block builds of the RMI-FC100 amplifiers! One of 8 Amplifier projects i'm working on. Regulated Front end on this design ! 

 

 

20210129_202714.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aussievintage said:

 You can't work on high voltages sober :)  

 

A 12AU7 in a pre is hardly high voltage...

 

But let's go a nice scotch anyway - because we can.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

 

A 12AU7 in a pre is hardly high voltage...

 

But let's go a nice scotch anyway - because we can.

 

 

 

I know it's not very high.  Although I often use 200V in preamp circuits.      

 

Anyway,  I picked up a nice Talisker Skye on special.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

 

 

I know it's not very high.  Although I often use 200V in preamp circuits.      

 

Anyway,  I picked up a nice Talisker Skye on special.   

 

Speaking of Valve Pre-Amp, i ordered one of these 3 weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. 

 

Datasheet-ValvePhonoAmp.pdf (zinamp.co.uk)

 

2 x 12AX7 valves

1 x 12AU7 valve

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

 

 

I know it's not very high.  Although I often use 200V in preamp circuits.      

 

Anyway,  I picked up a nice Talisker Skye on special.   

This one will run on 250V using a Radi0kit kit PS. Regulated filament 12V. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itsparks said:

 

Speaking of Valve Pre-Amp, i ordered one of these 3 weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. 

 

Datasheet-ValvePhonoAmp.pdf (zinamp.co.uk)

 

2 x 12AX7 valves

1 x 12AU7 valve

A kit like this is good if you are getting into tube audio. But with just four 5 tag tag strips you can make a point to point preamp and save money for possibly a better result. I know easy for me to say I’ve been doing it for 50 years but once you do one you’ll realise how easy and cost effective it is. I’m happy to guide others if they want to have a go. But not as neat and compact as a PCB based one. 

68B049D0-7D93-44F1-92F6-6A513CCBC3CF.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

In these days of earth leakage protection and double insulation,  have you ever wondered about just using a 6 or 12V transformer, and just rectifying the mains for the HT? 

 

Electrically I can't see the problem, and it's not as if Australia never allowed appliances without power transformers.   I remember a portable valve TV that didn't for example.   Not as dangerous as, for example,  240V fluoro tubes sitting in a metal case above open water of an aquarium!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

A kit like this is good if you are getting into tube audio. But with just four 5 tag tag strips you can make a point to point preamp and save money for possibly a better result. I know easy for me to say I’ve been doing it for 50 years but once you do one you’ll realise how easy and cost effective it is. I’m happy to guide others if they want to have a go. But not as neat and compact as a PCB based one. 

 

 

I resisted making a similar comment.   I prefer point-to-point.  Also, much easier to mod multiple times without wrecking a circuit board.   In fact, I was thinking of doing a point to point transistor amp.  They used to do this.  We had an old portable radio that used Mullard germanium transistors.  They were mounted in rubber grommets in a metal chassis, and wired in circuits using tagstrips.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...