DIY audio: what are you building?

On 02/07/2020 at 10:24 AM, RankStranger said:

Dual-output Studer 900-based power supply kit that I ordered from China at the start of lockdown and arrived yesterday and I literally couldn’t wait to get a start on it. The transformer is still stuck in transit but I’m pretty sure it’s at least in Australia.imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68

They are going to drive my Raspberry Pi and Allo Boss DAC, probably all in the one chassis, although I’m still working out the logistics of that

I planned to have a bit more knowledge under my belt before it arrived but, you know how these things go, so I’m putting it together like LEGO without instructions and crossing my fingers that it’s all the right stuff. 

197F2D75-AAA9-4EC9-8286-46F46BCBE57F.jpeg.a969aa305db50fb529e96cb7bfe4c672.jpeg

That transistor in the bottom right of the PCB looks like it's in backwards

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stereo Subs & Two Way Monitor Build   It’s been slow going on my two way monitor with stereo sub build but I’ve finally finished finished one of the two subs!!!   The subs are 10inch CSS drive

Finally finished my 6sn7 preamp. 😀 not a bad outcome considering 50% material was recycled. Thanks a lot mwhouston for schematics.

Thanks Pete Sure! Pretty much just used common spray acrylics (cans) for the whole job. Not shy of using 2k but just trying to save on costs.  After the cabs where routed i gave th

22 hours ago, kelossus said:

Nigel at Speakerbug sells polyfill as well as the felt-like sheeting you have pictured. He is at Mount Ommaney

www.speakerbug.com.au

Perfect. Cheers 

As digital devices get smaller, interconnects don't seem to.  My miniDSP needs to be near the front of the cabinet for display / remote and that leaves an exposed mess of cables.  So I had a go at 3D priniting a cable duct to see if I could tidy things up.  Printed in two parts and pretty happy with the result; certainly better than the rats nest.

Gibbo

IMG20200705130918.jpg

IMG20200705131451.jpg

IMG20200705131502.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

As digital devices get smaller, interconnects don't seem to.  My miniDSP needs to be near the front of the cabinet for display / remote and that leaves an exposed mess of cables.  So I had a go at 3D priniting a cable duct to see if I could tidy things up.  Printed in two parts and pretty happy with the result; certainly better than the rats nest.

Gibbo

Very resourceful, Gibbo :) 

• Like 1

Well Vic. is in lockdown again. Last time when we were all in lockdown I suggested it’s good to time to find a new project or complete an old one. I think I managed to knock out three or four. My main drive was to use up parts (some expensive) which had been purchased years ago but never ended up in a completed project.

For Vics. here we go again. So is it time to start a new project? Parts are still coming in the mail so no excuse if you need a Tranni, socket or a FET.  Better still a handful of lazy parts in de lab begging to be part of an audio project. Or just order a kit online which sparks your interest. I live like a hermit so for me it’s business as usual. I’m building all the time but took on a few spare parts projects to one; use up the parts, but two; to hold some strong interest while in lockdown. 

The wife and I figure we are about $10K ahead by not going out (not even take away food) and entertaining ourselves at home. We both cook an and because we can shop just ate extra well at home. 

so who has a project to start, finish or even tweak? 

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Well Vic. is in lockdown again. Last time when we were all in lockdown I suggested it’s good to time to find a new project or complete an old one. I think I managed to knock out three or four. My main drive was to use up parts (some expensive) which had been purchased years ago but never ended up in a completed project.

For Vics. here we go again. So is it time to start a new project? Parts are still coming in the mail so no excuse if you need a Tranni, socket or a FET.  Better still a handful of lazy parts in de lab begging to be part of an audio project. Or just order a kit online which sparks your interest. I live like a hermit so for me it’s business as usual. I’m building all the time but took on a few spare parts projects to one; use up the parts, but two; to hold some strong interest while in lockdown. 

The wife and I figure we are about $10K ahead by not going out (not even take away food) and entertaining ourselves at home. We both cook an and because we can shop just ate extra well at home. 

My transformer for my Studer900 power supply arrived today but now I’m thinking of repurposing it (the supply) for the Auralic Aries mini that I just bought off Clay, rather than the Pi/Boss combo it was destined for. The mini takes 16V 1A so I’m pretty sure I’m going to need a different transformer. I’ll need to read up on it to understand what I need to do different

Still working full time so lockdown doesn’t mean much but it’s the next thing on my amuse-Simon-so-he-doesn’t-lose-it list

If anyone wants to swap the transformer pictured below for one that will work with the 16V output, (or you know how I can use the one I have) hit me up.

F4932802-E9A5-4346-95B5-959D116662D9.thumb.jpeg.cf33660739d848a0baad5949714229fd.jpeg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

My transformer for my Studer900 power supply arrived today but now I’m thinking of repurposing it (the supply) for the Auralic Aries mini that I just bought off Clay, rather than the Pi/Boss combo it was destined for. The mini takes 16V 1A so I’m pretty sure I’m going to need a different transformer. I’ll need to read up on it to understand what I need to do different

Still working full time so lockdown doesn’t mean much but it’s the next thing on my amuse-Simon-so-he-doesn’t-lose-it list

If anyone wants to swap the transformer pictured below for one that will work with the 16V output, (or you know how I can use the one I have) hit me up.

F4932802-E9A5-4346-95B5-959D116662D9.thumb.jpeg.cf33660739d848a0baad5949714229fd.jpeg

Great start. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Great start. 

I’m torn because I’ve been building the Pi system in my head for months but I’ve got so p***ed off with trying to find a comfortable, reliable way to control moode that I’m ready to shelve it until later down the track, when I need a source for my diy setup

On 13/07/2020 at 1:04 PM, mwhouston said:

When I get back I am going to build a simple power EMI filter distribution  box with multiple separate filters and outlets. 

I am also going to tidy up that mono system I have spoken of before.  This has become possible because I have finally got some clear space in the record library room where it lives.  Before I had too many piles of records all over the floor.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just use MPDoid :)  seriously, for just playing some music it's a very comfortable way, talking direct to Moode's MPD server

Thanks. I’m all iOS. I’ve been through all the MPD and UNPN controllers and I hate them all. 😕

My first evening with Lightning DS was extremely promising, though

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aussievintage said:

How about adding a touchscreen to the Pi?

Nah. I want to control it from where I’m sitting. If I could get it to work right in safari, that would be good enough. It doesn’t, though, and I’m over it for now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

11 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Nah. I want to control it from where I’m sitting. If I could get it to work right in safari, that would be good enough. It doesn’t, though, and I’m over it for now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That is strange, I find it works quite well in Firefox. What isn't working when you use it via Safari?

4 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

That is strange, I find it works quite well in Firefox. What isn't working when you use it via Safari?

Yep. It works fine in other browsers but I want to use safari because I can save it to the home screen to work like an app. In safari I can’t access the menus though. When I tap on configure nothing happens and when I try to manage queue it doesn’t respond properly. I’ve tried updating moode in place, reinstalling, a different micro sd card, everything I can think of. 

2 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Yep. It works fine in other browsers but I want to use safari because I can save it to the home screen to work like an app. In safari I can’t access the menus though. When I tap on configure nothing happens and when I try to manage queue it doesn’t respond properly. I’ve tried updating moode in place, reinstalling, a different micro sd card, everything I can think of. 

OK, I don't use Apple products, so not familiar with Safari. But it does sound more like a problem with safari, rather than Moode. Or maybe how Safari deals with scripts. Bit of a bummer though eh? I like the convenience of opening a browser page from my bookmarks, to control the Pi, when I'm on the computer.

11 hours ago, RankStranger said:

If I could get it to work right in safari, that would be good enough.

Is this on a phone or tablet?

Why not add a different browser like Chrome?

If it's on a computer, Chrome, or Firefox.

Although you can't Add To Home Screen, the way you can with Safari, you could make Moode your homepage for that browser, so launching the browser would give you Moode with one touch.

Edited by pwstereo
Added info
1 minute ago, bob_m_54 said:

OK, I don't use Apple products, so not familiar with Safari. But it does sound more like a problem with safari, rather than Moode. Or maybe how Safari deals with scripts. Bit of a bummer though eh? I like the convenience of opening a browser page from my bookmarks, to control the Pi, when I'm on the computer.

Yeah. Regardless of why, it’s frustrating enough that I can’t be ar$ed dealing with it now. I really like the Aries mini and lightning ds anyway so I’ll tackle moode again when I need another source. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Is this on a phone or tablet?

Why not add a different browser like Chrome?

If it's on a computer, Chrome, or Firefox.

On an iPad. It works in other browsers but the functionality isn’t the same. I’m very particular about my control interface. It makes or breaks the experience for me

• Like 1

Now that I have decided to put the Pi on the back burner, can anyone confirm for me whether I can use the transformer I bought (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30W-30VA-Primary-Input-0-115-230V-SCN-Secondary-Output-9V-12V-15V-18V-24V-R/33059551869.html) with two 9V outputs with the PSU board I bought (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STUDER900-Low-noise-rectifier-Regulator-power-supply-hifi-amplifier-dac-low-noise-power-supply-board-kits/4000849437245.html) to drive the Aries Mini at 16V 1A?

I know I’ll lose some voltage, I was expecting to drop from 9V to 5V in the previous design so I don’t know how to work out what transformer I need to get 16V. Is it 24V or will 2 x 9V do it somehow?

The two 9V windings in series is only 18V, that won't be enough for your 18V intended DC output.

2 x 12V in series or a 30V secondary would be more likely to work.

• Thanks 1

If you haven’t seen this on the Salt Cellar thread then here is the 807 triode strapped integrated power (2W) amp. 

Still under test but after fixing too many issues too mention (half  I caused) it’s playing. It mixes down stereo to mono. With the 98 dB sensitive Beyma concentrics it plays loud. Yet to mount the filtering system (includes 10H choke) inside. 

4C86E9F5-E9FF-49C8-BBD8-23F274FCC7CE.jpeg

FE0B24AF-59B5-4E0A-96C8-9E0CD24C0C7F.jpeg

F1344F40-BCF0-4964-9BC9-C8A46C5A9AD9.jpeg

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

The two 9V windings in series is only 18V, that won't be enough for your 18V intended DC output.

2 x 12V in series or a 30V secondary would be more likely to work.

Thanks, Peter. From my reading on aliexpress, which seems too simple to be correct, if I have a 12V winding running into each side of the board, I can take the positive from one side and the negative from the other and that’s my DC output? Does that sound right? I’m sceptical 

40 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Thanks, Peter. From my reading on aliexpress, which seems too simple to be correct, if I have a 12V winding running into each side of the board, I can take the positive from one side and the negative from the other and that’s my DC output? Does that sound right? I’m sceptical 

I don't know that PSU design. Normally the design is either a single rail, so 0V (ground) and a + xV rail.

Or some PSUs are dual rail, so 0V (ground) and a + xV rail and also a - xV rail.

@RankStranger

OK, I googled that PSU, it's a symmetrical dual rail board, so two AC inputs (the two 9V windings if you used your current transformer), and gives two DC rails out, a +V rail and a -V rail with a 0V centre.

7 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

@RankStranger

OK, I googled that PSU, it's a symmetrical dual rail board, so two AC inputs (the two 9V windings if you used your current transformer), and gives two DC rails out, a +V rail and a -V rail with a 0V centre.

Thanks. So if I get a 30VA, 2 x 12V or 2 x 15V out trans will that work for the Aries mini? How do I connect the +V and -V rails to the DC in to the mini 

Sorry, I’m really just starting to learn about this stuff. I appreciate your answers

Edited by RankStranger
2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Thanks. So if I get a 30VA, 2 x 12V or 2 x 15V out trans will that work for the Aries mini? How do I connect the +V and -V rails to the DC in to the mini

I'm no expert, I've made a number of single rail PSUs, but no stand-alone dual rail PSUs.

As far as I can tell, you can connect the + wire for your load to the + xV connector on your PSU, and the - wire for your load to the - xV connector on your PSU and you'll have the sum of the two xV. So, +9V and -9V would give you 18V between the two rails.

There's an article on Dyode magazine's website that illustrates doing this with a PSU very similar to that Studer 900 PSU you've bought.

https://diyodemag.com/education/the_classroom_part_three_the_linear_power_supply

2 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

I'm no expert, I've made a number of single rail PSUs, but no stand-alone dual rail PSUs.

As far as I can tell, you can connect the + wire for your load to the + xV connector on your PSU, and the - wire for your load to the - xV connector on your PSU and you'll have the sum of the two xV. So, +9V and -9V would give you 18V between the two rails.

There's an article on Dyode magazine's website that illustrates doing this with a PSU very similar to that Studer 900 PSU you've bought.

https://diyodemag.com/education/the_classroom_part_three_the_linear_power_supply

That’s awesome. Thank, I’ll check it out :) 

Just now, betocool said:

@RankStranger @pwstereo Bear in mind guys that when they say 9V on a transformer, it's 9V RMS, which translates rougyly to +12V/-12V peak (Voltage x 1.44). Just so you're aware is all...

Cheers,

Alberto

Thanks. I think it’s all just clicked for me with that article. I’m going to order a 30VA transformer with 2 x 12V outs, which will give me 2 x 8V outputs, one +V and one -V giving me 16V! The thing in the article that made it make sense to me was thinking about it like a battery. In the meantime, my dad has a toroidal with 2 x 12V windings that I can experiment with. It’s something like 300VA and physically huge so I won’t use it long term but at least I can get it running and hopefully get any bugs ironed out in the board

3 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Sorry, I’m really just starting to learn about this stuff. I appreciate your answers

Rank, I read back a few post so apologies if I’ve missed anything. I suppose the first question is is there a perceived problem with the current PSU? 

I get that people like to run external linear PSUs for various kit, but I’m just wondering if there is anything you’ve notice that’s compelling you to change the supply? Or you just want to tinker 😊

Trust me I get the want to tinker but it’s always good to start with an issue you want to resolve or at very least an understanding of how you are going to confirm it’s increased performance (outside our very unreliable ears). 

If it’s simple noise issue it might be something as easy as couple of cascading low ESR caps in front of the supply.

IMHO it maybe overkill without any real benefit when the PSU could be used to more benefit for another project.

Don’t get me wrong not trying to be unhelpful in anyway. I suppose I’m just pointing out a sep transformer and PSU for that device maybe more then case of diminishing returns and if your got the DIY bug it may serve other projects better 😊

Edited by hyper
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

If you haven’t seen this on the Salt Cellar thread then here is the 807 triode strapped integrated power (2W) amp. 

Still under test but after fixing too many issues too mention (half  I caused) it’s playing. It mixes down stereo to mono. With the 98 dB sensitive Beyma concentrics it plays loud. Yet to mount the filtering system (includes 10H choke) inside. 

4C86E9F5-E9FF-49C8-BBD8-23F274FCC7CE.jpeg

FE0B24AF-59B5-4E0A-96C8-9E0CD24C0C7F.jpeg

F1344F40-BCF0-4964-9BC9-C8A46C5A9AD9.jpeg

Houston your relentless mate I don’t know where you get the time 😊

• Like 3