DIY audio: what are you building?

I have been using 2k power resistors for the load in my 6AS7 headphone amp and I wanted something a just a bit higher so things will run a bit cooler.  I went rummaging in a big tub of older electronic bits that I keep, and found these beauties !!!

Way more powerful than required, but they look great, so I had to use them :)   So now, even though running at only about 50ma, my headphones still can make ear damaging volumes.  The operating point for the 6AS7 is now low enough that I could use just one, instead of paralleling two as I am doing, but I think the lower plate resistance (140 ohms instead of 280) can't hurt.

DSC_0456.jpg.092649a09de43a5e8b8a4820c804fa6d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stereo Subs & Two Way Monitor Build   It’s been slow going on my two way monitor with stereo sub build but I’ve finally finished finished one of the two subs!!!   The subs are 10inch CSS drive

Thanks Pete Sure! Pretty much just used common spray acrylics (cans) for the whole job. Not shy of using 2k but just trying to save on costs.  After the cabs where routed i gave th

Finally finished my 6sn7 preamp. 😀 not a bad outcome considering 50% material was recycled. Thanks a lot mwhouston for schematics.

4 hours ago, Muon N' said:

The names Rosenthale and Rosenthal are known in industry and engineering, nice!

Wasn't sure if that was an E on the end or not.  Saw a few for sale on eBay when I googled the name, without the E.

Guest Muon N'
9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Wasn't sure if that was an E on the end or not.  Saw a few for sale on eBay when I googled the name, without the E.

Have seen both names in industry of different types, you have it correct with the 'e' for the resistors.

I worked once outfitting fiberglass sleeper cabs for trucks, the name was without an

'e' as in Rosenthal Industries based here. But both names are found in manufacturing and industry here and elsewhere in the world.

11 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Some here might be interested that Nelson Pass has posted some documentation for the ACP+ (Amp Camp Pre) which I don’t understand but will be watching closely :) 

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_acp.pdf

mention is made of Nelson's famed Tannoy 15's with Sammutt crossovers in Jensen enclosures, here's some info

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/280649-question-pass.html

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

mention is made of Nelson's famed Tannoy 15's

I sold those to Joe.

Is there a speaker single drive thread DIY or commercial?

And if not should there be? I would image there are a number of members who have at least one single driver speaker? 

Let’s know. 

3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Is there a speaker single drive thread DIY or commercial?

And if not should there be? I would image there are a number of members who have at least one single driver speaker? 

Let’s know. 

I have some Fostex 8" full range drivers in some nice TQWT boxes that I built.  I also use a single 12" full range in a mono system.

• Like 1

I have a pair of 1970s single driver Wharfedales and was wondering if a different cabinet would be an improvement.

17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have some Fostex 8" full range drivers in some nice TQWT boxes that I built.  I also use a single 12" full range in a mono system.

So do you think a single drive thread is a good idea. I know I do. I’ve built about 6 single driver speakers some coaxial some full rang.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

So do you think a single drive thread is a good idea. I know I do. I’ve built about 6 single driver speakers some coaxial some full rang.

Yeah, why not.  Might inspire someone else.  Wouldn't mind seeing some commercial designs (if there are any), not just DIY as well.

40 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

6 single driver speakers some coaxial

Coaxials aren't single drivers.

Never heard a single driver, and I've owned a few over the years, that didn't sound like a glorified boom box.

• Like 1

Single driver. My specialty — many are proof of design builds. . 3 pair up here (+ a big WAW) and many, many downstairs. One of the designs i am most proud of:

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

I’ll try to answer any questions. I have gotten nowhere near hearing all the FRs ou tthere so will have some bias towards the ones i have tried and liked.

dave

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, A9X said:

Never heard a single driver, and I've owned a few over the years, that didn't sound like a glorified boom box.

Indeed the crappy ones often sound like that, but one of the good builds might change your mind.Mr Houston's Pensil 12s for instance.

dave

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Batty said:

I have a pair of 1970s single driver Wharfedales and was wondering if a different cabinet would be an improvement.

Which ones? I haven’t heard many, the few thru here have been singles. Good condiiton ones will certianlly have some collector's value.

dave

Just now, planet10 said:

Indeed the crappy ones often sound like that, but one of the good builds might change your mind.Mr Houston's Pensil 12s for instance.

dave

Been told that many times and have been disappointed every time, especially with complex materials when I want some SPL. I can do without the IMD and FMD thanks. I'll stay with 3-4 ways with DSP.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Which ones? I haven’t heard many, the few thru here have been singles. Good condiiton ones will certianlly have some collector's value.

dave

No idea of the model as there are no labels on them, but the cabinet is about 2 foot tall.

17 minutes ago, A9X said:

Been told that many times and have been disappointed every time, especially with complex materials when I want some SPL. I can do without the IMD and FMD thanks. I'll stay with 3-4 ways with DSP.

That is why there are so many different loudspeakers. It is all about the set of compromises that one can best live with. Many FR afficiandos would find the lack of coherence of a big multiway to be a compromise they would rather not make.

A FR used as a midTweeter with helper bass units can likely do what you are missing.

dave

10 minutes ago, Batty said:

No idea of the model as there are no labels on them, but the cabinet is about 2 foot tall.

Pictures (fron t& rear) of the driver?

dave

4 minutes ago, planet10 said:

A FR used as a midTweeter with helper bass units can likely do what you are missing.

Benn there, done that. Still has a horrible top end.

My Unity based mains do not lack coherence. And they're low distortion and can supply all the SPL and dynamics I could wish for.

We’d have to see what it is to have a useful answer to your question. In those days a lot of cabinets were cut & try so it certainly is possible that a different box might get more out of it.

dave

3 minutes ago, A9X said:

Unity based mains...

Indeed that is a midTweeter solution that done right plays loud and brings the coherence that a good FR has (thanx Tom). It does cost cubic dollars more to implement, so that can be a huge compromise for many.

How many ways is the unity and wher edo you XO it?

dave

Edited by planet10
57 minutes ago, A9X said:

Coaxials aren't single drivers.

A challenge.  Good ! :) 

48 minutes ago, A9X said:

Probably right.    My idea of the proper use of a full-range is for some acoustic jazz,  or folk,   or classical small ensemble or solo,  preferably played through a small SET.  So, it doesn't fit your needs, that's for sure.

The other use is to get authentic sound.  My mono system is intended to sound like a 50's/60's jukebox.

22 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Indeed that is a midTweeter solution

Not in the same way you're referring to wrt WR drivers.

32 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Many FR afficiandos would find the lack of coherence of a big multiway to be a compromise

quite right.  I find 2-way systems to be as complicated as I really like it.  Maybe that's why I like my Osborn's because they are basically 2-way with a sub.

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

some acoustic jazz,  or folk,   or classical small ensemble or solo

But mine can do all of that plus large orchestral, rock, metal etc. No limits in what I want to listen to.

Just now, A9X said:

But mine can do all of that plus large orchestral, rock, metal etc. No limits in what I want to listen to.

The question is, do they do the bit's I listed, as well as the system I specified?  Allrounders  might not do each type as well as dedicated systems.   

Hey, not after an argument, it's just a different approach.   I believe my Osborn's are great all rounders, and that's how I use them, but if I want to play Elvis on a 78, I know which system gives me the most thrills - it's the Plessey-Rola C12PX in the open back box, positioned on a bracket at the just the right distance from the top corner of my record room.

3 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

The question is, do they do the bit's I listed, as well as the system I specified?

Based upon my own experience, better.

As for the "lack of coherence" in a multiway, ask the many here who've heard TJ's 5 way system if it lacks coherence.

Edited by A9X
2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

include coaxial

A coax is at least a 2 way, so I don't see how it fits into the single WR driver category.

• Like 3

Not a hill I’ll die on but my feeling is that a coaxial is a 2 way and a full-range is a full-range is a full-range.

So, it depends, is it a crossover-less speaker thread? A single driver thread? A point-source thread? A one-way thread? Is a panel speaker a full-range? I presume they have their own thread. 

I’m overthinking it, aren’t I?