DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

Ok, amps is a design by a guy called John Thackray. You can contact him at john_thackray@yahoo.com or find him on Facebook. Great guy, very helpful. He sells them fully built or as a PCB only. I got two of the PCBs and built them in a balanced design. Really sounds great and with the ability to roll 12au7 tubes and the power of mosfet to drive whatever headphones you throw at them. I’m driving the pants off my power hungry, low impedance planer headphone with great effect. Awesomeness [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji2]

I like hybrids, you can get the best of both worlds. All on a single PCB makes construction easier and neater. Neat job mate. Matching gear all looks good. 

The stack is getting bigger :)

image.jpeg.fde366b5735fa8f854ea304ddf35945d.jpegA few weeks back I posted an image of the inside of a Jean Hiraga Le Monster 8W SS DC amp. I have been enjoying the amp ever since but thought I should put up some images of the finaly finished amp. The sound of this amp is completely natural, relaxed with good bass control and a balanced mid and treble range. Took it to another SNA members house last night where he exclaimed it sound very natural, exactly as I found it.

So after twenty years in the making, the final product.

image.jpeg.d95e2187f1394b4ec534b47c7b5860ca.jpegd

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

image.jpeg.fde366b5735fa8f854ea304ddf35945d.jpegA few weeks back I posted an image of the inside of a Jean Hiraga Le Monster 8W SS DC amp. I have been enjoying the amp ever since but thought I should put up some images of the finaly finished amp. The sound of this amp is completely natural, relaxed with good bass control and a balanced mid and treble range. Took it to another SNA members house last night where he exclaimed it sound very natural, exactly as I found it.

So after twenty years in the making, the final product.

image.jpeg.d95e2187f1394b4ec534b47c7b5860ca.jpegd

Nice job Mark, quite like a neutral sounding power amplifier regardless of power rating 

Great to see hard wiring with the power cable rather than an IEC. 

Lovely

59 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Nice job Mark, quite like a neutral sounding power amplifier regardless of power rating 

Great to see hard wiring with the power cable rather than an IEC. 

Lovely

Thanks mate. Yes one less connection to fail or go noisy. 

Guest Benjet
Looks great...Spill the beans...
More info please...

I’ve just bought the last two SE amp PCBs from John. If any one would like one let me know. They cost me $20USD delivered for both and I’ll on sell them for cost plus postage. Easy to build and a really nice sound. I’m in discussions with John about the next version. He might revise the design to make a balanced amp all on one board.

I've been pretty slack on the DIY audio front recently, partly because of a changing work situation giving me less free time, and partly because my house is already oversupplied with DIY audio gear so I dont need any more...

But I was intrigued  with the newish TI TPA3255 class D amp module, ordered one late last year and finally got around to firing it up in test mode in an old amp chassis with a 350W meanwell SMPS..

No serious listening yet but runs very quietly, if it plays well I'll use it to drive the 15" low frequency  speakers in my active system.

http://www.ti.com/tool/tpa3255evm

IMG20180308214617.thumb.jpg.84fe579134c463919ae765756b3c687e.jpg

p.s. @Snapper() that dead amp chassis you gave me finally got some use :-)

Edited by zog
  • Like 3

On 3/9/2018 at 7:21 AM, mwhouston said:

If you want a bit of amp/speaker protection you can run an inline fuse to one side of each speaker connection. 2A quick blow is a good starting point. 

The TPA3255 has a lot of "mod cons" like speaker protection already built into the chipset.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:56 PM, zog said:

No serious listening yet but runs very quietly, if it plays well I'll use it to drive the 15" low frequency  speakers in my active system.

@Snapper()

It's now deployed in the active system.. dead quiet when not playing when driving 98db efficient 15" woofers, 7.8W idle power use, so far so good....

(Finally) finished these bad boys. There's a pic gluing the bent lamination sides back in this thread years ago haha.
hVrSRR5.jpgivxKGrv.jpg
UfcAyYS.jpgzIze6Nn.jpg
jhzEL4D.jpgzBKNudI.jpg
WqmDTcO.jpgk7vhBXJ.png
Now they are Cool! Beautiful work mate. Any chance you can post some build photos so we don't have to go digging??

1 hour ago, Upfront said:
1 hour ago, TMM said:
(Finally) finished these bad boys. There's a pic gluing the bent lamination sides back in this thread years ago haha.
hVrSRR5.jpgivxKGrv.jpg
UfcAyYS.jpgzIze6Nn.jpg
jhzEL4D.jpgzBKNudI.jpg
WqmDTcO.jpgk7vhBXJ.png

Read more  

Now they are Cool! Beautiful work mate. Any chance you can post some build photos so we don't have to go digging??

Unfortunately the only other pic I took was this one of my haphazard method of gluing the side laminations (3mm MDF) to the internal braces. After this the MDF top, bottom and back were glued and trimmed flush with a router. Front bolted on, flush trimmed. 19mm and 3mm roundovers applied to all edges, then everything was coated with epoxy, sanded/prepped and painted with rattle cans. I plan to do it all again in the future to make some subwoofers with a matching curved box shape and a 10" mounted into the side, effectively turning these into floorstanders. That should make for some interesting routing work.
kgZGCQO.jpg

• Like 3

Unfortunately the only other pic I took was this one of my haphazard method of gluing the side laminations (3mm MDF) to the internal braces. After this the MDF top, bottom and back were glued and trimmed flush with a router. Front bolted on, flush trimmed. 19mm and 3mm roundovers applied to all edges, then everything was coated with epoxy, sanded/prepped and painted with rattle cans. I plan to do it all again in the future to make some subwoofers with a matching curved box shape and a 10" mounted into the side, effectively turning these into floorstanders. That should make for some interesting routing work.
kgZGCQO.jpg
Good work mate. Some reasonable bracing inside too! I like it! Well done!
Take more photos next time! [emoji13]

My woodworking and tube amp buiding mate Don has made me a few bases in advance. The lighter Cypress base may be used for a single stage 6SN7 (Psavne 50 year Treasure) preamp. The darker base - Spotted Gum - my next tube headphone amp with Sophia Priness rec. tube.

Just treated the bases with some rubbing oil. It has a low luster and lifts the grain a little. It honeys-up the Cypress base. Also adds good protection to the surface against stain etc. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Working on a MM phone preamp for a guy. One of my many varied "Mimics". This is the smallest I have made on a tiny piece of vero-brd. While waiting for the enclosure to dry. 

Toady I assemble the enclsoure and add wires to the cct. brd. Ready for wiring. 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...