DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

Not all that interesting as only cables but I bought these RCA plugs from here about 6 years ago so it feels good to finally make some cables up and use them.

Can't find the original ad as this site seems to have changed recently but they are no name plugs bought by a member on a trip to China. Pretty solid feeling and quite heavy.

Cable is Canare GS-6 and about 4.5m long. Made longer as it will help with a speaker build I will hopefully be starting in the next week or so with Eminence drivers.

Sounding pretty good

158564690_256357785982441_6750207821008072673_n.jpg

Edited by Bunno77
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, GaryT said:

GS6 makes for a great audio cable, full and rich and handles long runs really well..

Yeah seems pretty good. 

Nice copper braided screen and decent dielectric 

23 hours ago, RankStranger said:

5151F0C6-4EEF-439F-87D3-D0328992A12F.thumb.jpeg.1c2fc64c5c1ac9b0b0b8fe73e7bd3ca1.jpeg

I bought this BrianGT dual-mono Gainclone chip amp last year between lockdowns, half-finished off gumtree in a box of random doodads. BrianGT’s original website is gone and the instructions that I did find aren’t great but there are lots of old posts on diyaudio and I managed to trawl through them to eventually find the guidance I needed to finish it. Haven’t put it through its paces at all yet but it makes sound and doesn’t hum so I’m calling that a total win for this time of night :) 

looking forward to building a home for it 

well, I gave it about an hour and, I’ve got to say, I’m impressed. It can’t keep up with my 215wpc of precision chi-fi (surprise surprise) but for a lot less than a hungie so far, it’s much more than I expected. Most of what it gives up to my Kinki is texture and depth and small detail. It’s not really doing anything wrong that I can tell. I wasn’t playing it loud because the kids are asleep but that’s usually my listening circumstances anyway. 

I wouldn’t call it warm-sounding at all, but that’s probably my least-favourite descriptor for hifi so, no major worries there. Over an hour or so of play, the heat sink I fitted for testing barely got warm so I don’t think heat will be a problem. Trying to decide if I should mash together a diy case or spend a bit more and order a niceish one from Ali. 

@mwhouston where did you get that dark grey two-tone one you used for the tri path amp last year?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RankStranger said:

well, I gave it about an hour and, I’ve got to say, I’m impressed. It can’t keep up with my 215wpc of precision chi-fi (surprise surprise) but for a lot less than a hungie so far, it’s much more than I expected. Most of what it gives up to my Kinki is texture and depth and small detail. It’s not really doing anything wrong that I can tell. I wasn’t playing it loud because the kids are asleep but that’s usually my listening circumstances anyway. 

I wouldn’t call it warm-sounding at all, but that’s probably my least-favourite descriptor for hifi so, no major worries there. Over an hour or so of play, the heat sink I fitted for testing barely got warm so I don’t think heat will be a problem. Trying to decide if I should mash together a diy case or spend a bit more and order a niceish one from Ali. 

The chassis from Diyaudio  com store are really nice, a bit pricy but really nice ! Well worth the money for the high quality.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, itsparks said:

The chassis from Diyaudio  com store are really nice, a bit pricy but really nice ! Well worth the money for the high quality.. 

yeah unfortunately antipodean shipping makes them extra pricey. I think I have an idea for my own chassis. Sort of Sparkler Audio inspired :) 

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

antipodean shipping makes them extra pricey. 

Italy is closer than here (North America) or is it?

diyAudio is an Austrailian owned site hosted in the US. Bits from th estore come from all over, but none yet that i know of starting in Oz.

dave

PS thanx. hungie = c-note (of course CAD not equal AUD not equal USD and on and on… )

100_back.jpg

17 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Italy is closer than here (North America) or is it?

Italy to Aus is about twice the distance from Italy to the us but I think it’s more economies of scale. Our piddling 25M people spread over the same area as conus makes us expensive to serve :) 

It was an F5, then an F4 and now an F6. Soldered the PCB's yesterday and installed and biased this morning

Used decent parts: Toshiba Fets, Charcroft Z Foil resistors on the input, PRP and Ohmite elsewhere. Elna caps.

Tried Jupiter silver wire on the input which is unshielded and no issue. 

Sounds pretty good but needs a bit of time so I hope it'll improve.

1427952793_Image(2).thumb.jpeg.b6de7318a9f74fcc3bfc3f521de0b166.jpeg

F6.thumb.jpg.50956c2669d51ec51cd242880a7aec2b.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

It was an F5, then an F4 and now an F6. Soldered the PCB's yesterday and installed and biased this morning

Used decent parts: Toshiba Fets, Charcroft Z Foil resistors on the input, PRP and Ohmite elsewhere. Elna caps.

Tried Jupiter silver wire on the input which is unshielded and no issue. 

Sounds pretty good but needs a bit of time so I hope it'll improve.

1427952793_Image(2).thumb.jpeg.b6de7318a9f74fcc3bfc3f521de0b166.jpeg

F6.thumb.jpg.50956c2669d51ec51cd242880a7aec2b.jpg

Nice to start out dual mono. 

Did you have any issues with trans on join of heatsink? 

Any early impressions on F6 vs f5? 

10 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Nice to start out dual mono. 

Did you have any issues with trans on join of heatsink? 

Any early impressions on F6 vs f5? 

SNA member mwhouston built the original F5 as I wasn’t confident and I decided on dual mono.

I don’t have issues as the heat sinks are so much bigger than they need to be. Out of interest, what issues were you thinking of ?

F6 is more balanced than F5 and has more weight. Bass is better with F6. It doesn’t have the excitement of the F5 though

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

SNA member mwhouston built the original F5 as I wasn’t confident and I decided on dual mono.

I don’t have issues as the heat sinks are so much bigger than they need to be. Out of interest, what issues were you thinking of ?

F6 is more balanced than F5 and has more weight. Bass is better with F6. It doesn’t have the excitement of the F5 though

He is a busy man

I might be wrong but thought there was something with the location of one trans, it is close to the join in heatsinks so not always good transfer.

Hmm good to know. I really should populate my F6 but lost interest after dodgy transformers were supplied (now replaced)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

He is a busy man

I might be wrong but thought there was something with the location of one trans, it is close to the join in heatsinks so not always good transfer.

Hmm good to know. I really should populate my F6 but lost interest after dodgy transformers were supplied (now replaced)

Ah, yes I noticed that issue and thought it was weird. One mosfet of each board mounts near the edge. I hope it won’t be a problem. 

I tired of the F5 as it was such a pain to bias and I couldn’t get it sounding how I knew it could. Still no idea why ?

How were your transformers faulty?

Edited by Gryffles
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

The laminations had come apart

That will actually not affect the magnetic flux, or the transformer performance, but it can cause (mechanical) buzzing under certain circumstances.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Steffen said:

That will actually not affect the magnetic flux, or the transformer performance, but it can cause (mechanical) buzzing under certain circumstances.

Yeah I still have them and will try fix them up maybe even just cable ties but didn't want to use them on this. Now replaced so all ok

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah I still have them and will try fix them up maybe even just cable ties but didn't want to use them on this. 

I know, right? It makes you have doubts, and the seed of doubt is often enough to disqualify a component. Was it dropped or mishandled? Was the QA shoddy on that day (nobody wants a Monday morning transformer)? What else is wrong with it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah I still have them and will try fix them up maybe even just cable ties but didn't want to use them on this. Now replaced so all ok

When one of my r-cores was buzzing my brother-in-law's dad suggested dipping it in shellac or resin or similar to not give it any space to vibrate in. He used to do it with cheap transformers they got in the 70s.

Are you going to get back into the F6 or are you thinking of moving it on? If you are, shoot me a pm :) 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1