DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

10 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

The HS would struggle to handle 30W.

Not sure I agree.  A class AB amp needs less heatsinking.  I have a 200W per channel amp (6 output transistors per channel) with similar sized heatsinks (only slightly bigger, but mounted the wrong way with fins horizontal !!) and it never has a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Not sure I agree.  A class AB amp needs less heatsinking.  I have a 200W per channel amp (6 output transistors per channel) with similar sized heatsinks (only slightly bigger, but mounted the wrong way with fins horizontal !!) and it never has a problem.

I’ll give it a go. If your wrong you owe me a HS! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

You have heard of Altecs voice of the theatre - VOTT.

He is my version - VOTA, voice of the audiophile. Altec 511B horns (powder coated and dampened) suspended in a dampened 5 ply box. FaitalPro compression drivers. These will sit on the large sealed box with Altronics 12” poly cone - 95 db efficient and with an fs=25hZ (so low). 

This combo should produce far more and deeper bass than the original VOTT at a tiny fraction the price. Xovers are complete to roll the horns in at 1100hz - 3rd order on the horns, 2nd on the woofer. System efficiency should be about 95db. Brake out your SETs. Not here a DIY 300W Holton and tube preamp to power these. 

CD292268-06FC-4F49-8988-80E427E8A6DF.jpeg

D2451E4C-2CC3-4C6A-BCE9-72519A453C97.jpeg

Nice - are these to be your mains now or for another member? 

Interested to hear the performance on the different 12” woofer. I certainly like the size of the cabinet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Nice - are these to be your mains now or for another member? 

Interested to hear the performance on the different 12” woofer. I certainly like the size of the cabinet. 

At this point staying with my 20 year old Jaycar polies in 60ltr sealed box. BUT, extremely tempted. Keep my much smaller 60ltr boxes BUT drop in these extremely impressive looking Altronics polies. There is a big bonus for me. The Altronics drivers are 95db efficient mine are 92. Yes, yes I know it’s only 3db BUT when you regularly roll in DIY 2W SE UL tube amps, every db counts. For $115 X 2, I may just go and get me some. 1 hour round trip. Thursday is looking good. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

At this point staying with my 20 year old Jaycar polies in 60ltr sealed box. BUT, extremely tempted. Keep my much smaller 60ltr boxes BUT drop in these extremely impressive looking Altronics polies. There is a big bonus for me. The Altronics drivers are 95db efficient mine are 92. Yes, yes I know it’s only 3db BUT when you regularly roll in DIY 2W SE UL tube amps, every db counts. For $115 X 2, I may just go and get me some. 1 hour round trip. Thursday is looking good. 

$115 for 2 wow. Worth experimenting with. Maybe I should buy these and two plate amps and cut another hole in the baffle of my boxes.

• Like 1

Just now, crtexcnndrm99 said:

$115 for 2 wow. Worth experimenting with. Maybe I should buy these and two plate amps and cut another hole in the baffle of my boxes.

Agree in part. Make yourself a Holton amp to drive them. Best of both worlds. But agree, cheap enough to try. I’m being pushed to do the same. Can they compete with my old Jaycar polies? 

41 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Call your Altronics store first and get them to hold a pair. Annoying to arrive and zero stock.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Cheers yeah what I’d really like to experiment with if I had the time was fabricating some bass bins. Now if I just had a cathedral, I reckon a pair of these a side would do nicely... 

you may need a good size room for the bigger boxes but I’m not convinced. The horns image is extremely tight. I’ll have the whole system up and going in a day or two.

5 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

you may need a good size room for the bigger boxes but I’m not convinced. The horns image is extremely tight. I’ll have the whole system up and going in a day or two.

Sounds good. Will watch for your impressions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Sounds good. Will watch for your impressions. 

I have to get 105db Italian FaitalPro compression drivers to balance with 95db efficient poly woofers. Also room and owner issues to deal with. From calcs I have a pad worked out and can eval at home. But when it goes to another room??? 

10 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have to get 105db Italian FaitalPro compression drivers to balance with 95db efficient poly woofers. Also room and owner issues to deal with. From calcs I have a pad worked out and can eval at home. But when it goes to another room??? 

Ah a bit to work out then. Lucky owner though

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

They are down to ~$90 at the mo and delivery is free. Just ordered two. Should be here in the week. 

21 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

They are down to ~$90 at the mo and delivery is free. Just ordered two. Should be here in the week. 

Hi mate, 

Will get back to your pm, have been busy

Seems still $115 each up here (cheap) 

Could be interested in going in with you Ash depending on results if your keen to get a little knocked off? 

Screenshot_20210302-215324.png

Edited by Bunno77
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Could be keen for two mate.. would depend on 

1. How big the boxes are Mark, if I’m going to lug them around for a while before building ?

2. How will I integrate these into my current crossovers of yours Mark... ??

I only got the new owner to build them this size to fit under the horn boxes. I think 60ltr, sealed, would do. 

Very good driver for a subby ‘cause it will go so low. That requires seperate amp (commercial class D would do) and electronic Xover. Done it all before and feed it from your preamp. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aussievintage said:

That little heatsink is PLENTY for a little chip amp.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

True when most of use only use about 20W at good listening levels. It will be a while before it gets built I have an F5 to complete.

True about good listening levels.  However, that 200W/ch amp I mentioned was thrashed - used as the power amp in a PA system.  It got warm, but never faltered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

True when most of use only use about 20W at good listening levels. It will be a while before it gets built I have an F5 to complete.

Should see how hot my Little Aleph mini's get with 24V rails & only 2 output devices :P lol ! DAMN  HOT! 

VOTA - Voice of the Audiophile - is complete and playing woofers are tight and require about 100hours to really get going. Imaging and soundstage is crazy good. Playing Britten big orchestral classical pieces up loud. Feels super real. 

A3B3E260-D0EA-4881-A145-0A64D6BAF337.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

VOTA - Voice of the Audiophile - is complete and playing woofers are tight and require about 100hours to really get going. Imaging and soundstage is crazy good. Playing Britten big orchestral classical pieces up loud. Feels super real. 

Edited by Hawkeye
Lost it first time

3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Looks great all it needs is a coat of paint Red maybe 

• Like 1