DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

12 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Me? I certainly do. 

I posted earlier the few measurements that have been taken that show differences. How you interpret those is wide open.

I can quickly pick out the EnABLed drivers in a double blind test (and it takes little time), there are certainly others that appreciate what it brings, there are many that cannot. I have had pairs of carefully matched boxes with and without, for people to take away and listen for themselves. I do not encourage anyone to buy them and its getting hard to, i’m not doing them any more.

If you consider how many hours of manual labour go into drivers there is little or no money in it, it is not done to make money.  

dave

Your over 65 Years old I bet you 1000$ If i put up a pair of enabled and non-enabled speakers into a room and blind folded you you would fail. You're eyes are what tell you what you want to hear..  It's the same as saying OH I HEAR a  difference using this 1m long $5000 power cord from the wall to my power amp. Or these nice wooden blocks that lift my speaker cables up off the floor. BULL CRAP !! 

• Like 1

At least Dave's cone treatments would make a measurable difference. Unlike most of the cable (speaker, interconnect, power etc..) claims that appear to be popular on this site :)

I'm presently in the process of doing some cone edge treatments on a Tectonic BMR driver to help get rid of the nasty peak and dip in the FR around 1.5 to 2K

You can see the original FR here in an independent test

https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/tectonic/tectonic-tebm65c20f-8

Results so far are good, I might post them here some time in the future

cheers,  Arthur

1 hour ago, itsparks said:

If i put up a pair of enabled and non-enabled speakers into a room and blind folded you you would fail. You're eyes are what tell you what you want to hear.

As i said, i have done just such a test. Took less than 30 sec to decern. It is quite striking when you have learne dwhat to listen for.

dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can we plesae cut down on the mockery and belittlement?  Says more about the poster than the subject.  SNA is not a skeptics bukkake party...go to ASR or similar for that please..civil, polite conversation please. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, acg said:

Can we plesae cut down on the mockery and belittlement?  Says more about the poster than the subject.  SNA is not a skeptics bukkake party...go to ASR or similar for that please..civil, polite conversation please. 

As I have said to the wife, there was two ways you could have said that. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, acg said:

What I was going for in my post, just perhaps a little less subtle and a little more spunk... 

"So, anyone with some interesting DIY projects they’ve got going at the moment?... "

Yep. Halfway through a 10" three way speaker build, latest in my building as therapy series!

Should finish them next week (some time) and will have a story and photos for you then.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

So, anyone with some interesting DIY projects they’ve got going at the moment?... :whistle:

(Would love to see some speaker builds.)

Helping a fellow SNAer put together an interest system. Next part of the massive jigsaw is a Xover. 3rd order on the horns and 2nd on the woofer. Using Mundorf air chokes and poly Xover caps for most. 

All parts ordered and on their way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Helping a fellow SNAer put together an interest system. Next part of the massive jigsaw is a Xover. 3rd order on the horns and 2nd on the woofer. Using Mundorf air chokes and poly Xover caps for most. 

All parts ordered and on their way. 

Sounds like a good system. I must say That building another pair of speakers with real horns this time is an itch t hat I can’t seem to get over!.. 

New or old horns, and 2-way like the Tad2402 or more drivers? 

14 minutes ago, Spinnergeoff said:

"So, anyone with some interesting DIY projects they’ve got going at the moment?... "

Yep. Halfway through a 10" three way speaker build, latest in my building as therapy series!

Should finish them next week (some time) and will have a story and photos for you then.

Awesome. Look forward to that story (won’t bother you with questions now - can’t distract from building!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Sounds like a good system. I must say That building another pair of speakers with real horns this time is an itch t hat I can’t seem to get over!.. 

New or old horns, and 2-way like the Tad2402 or more drivers? 

Awesome. Look forward to that story (won’t bother you with questions now - can’t distract from building!) 

Ive never looked back and have yet to fined anything which is transparent and as fast as horns with 1” compression drivers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spinnergeoff said:

Got some early images. 

59 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Ive never looked back and have yet to fined anything which is transparent and as fast as horns with 1” compression drivers. 

Fair enough. I’ve considered using just the woofer of the Beymas in their current cabs and mounting a horn and compression driver on top, angled downwards from their 1200 height toward the listening position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Fair enough. I’ve considered using just the woofer of the Beymas in their current cabs and mounting a horn and compression driver on top, angled downwards from their 1200 height toward the listening position.

I’m a big fan of FaitalPro, Italian compression drivers and horns (Tratrix). Locally available, well priced and extremely well made. Polymer concave diaphragms, not horrid shrillness or resonance.  Good to 22K. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Altronics ~$115 polycone 12” woofers have a Fs of 25hZ (tested) and a sensitivity of 95db. Very, very few high priced woofers have a Fs of 25hZ. In a 60 ltr sealed box will play down 30HZ with output well below this. 

The Beymas roll off heavily at 50hZ. It’s so cheap to get so, so much bass response more. Keep the Beymas for what they are and pay Altronics a visit. Happy to help you with info on box construction, Xovers etc. 

P.S. how is Tamarisk going. Still missing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Altronics ~$115 polycone 12” woofers have a Fs of 25hZ (tested) and a sensitivity of 95db. Very, very few high priced woofers have a Fs of 25hZ. In a 60 ltr sealed box will play down 30HZ with output well below this. 

The Beymas roll off heavily at 50hZ. It’s so cheap to get so, so much bass response more. Keep the Beymas for what they are and pay Altronics a visit. Happy to help you with info on box construction, Xovers etc. 

Did you say Beymas ?   I had a pair of BR70's in some BIG ported enclosures with a pair of Iwatta horns on top that i loved !

20190809_203417.jpg

20190904_190750.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Ah I see there’s some good recommendations. The Beymas were expensive and are great for what they do, only the bass I agree could be had much easier than trying to wrangle it from these. 

Mate, no complaints on the Tamarisk, it pulls a surprisingly solid bass line from the speakers, listening to jazz every note of the upright bass can be heard. As I’ve mentioned before, tube rolling is a breeze too, which in a fan of. Reassuring to know that there are good quality components inside so I don’t have to think about upgrading caps etc. Might venture into SS for biamping the LF, but the Tamarisk will stay for mid/highs for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, itsparks said:

Did you say Beymas ?   I had a pair of BR70's in some BIG ported enclosures with a pair of Iwatta horns on top that i loved !

20190809_203417.jpg

20190904_190750.jpg

They’re a good size - probably what I had in mind but with a wooden horn on top for aesthetics mostly (and claim of naturalness with wooden horns... anyone experienced that?)

6 minutes ago, Spinnergeoff said:

OK, early shot of current build, 10" three way.

DSCF7387.JPG

Thanks for sharing, I reckon those panels will stain up nicely ?

7 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Crazy idea: my 300+ litre enclosures would almost have room for a 60 litre sealed box inside... how would you go about adding a helper woofer to the Beymas in the same cab, a la Altec 6041?