DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

9 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Want make an excellent sounding tube SRPP preamp. Not including, PS this is all you need. 

6A194428-0407-4365-9D06-924F35784B3E.jpeg

Looks good to me, but doesn't it need to be connected all together :P  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

A 12AU7 in a pre is hardly high voltage...

But let's go a nice scotch anyway - because we can.

I know it's not very high.  Although I often use 200V in preamp circuits.      

Anyway,  I picked up a nice Talisker Skye on special.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Speaking of Valve Pre-Amp, i ordered one of these 3 weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. 

Datasheet-ValvePhonoAmp.pdf (zinamp.co.uk)

2 x 12AX7 valves

1 x 12AU7 valve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

This one will run on 250V using a Radi0kit kit PS. Regulated filament 12V. 

1 hour ago, itsparks said:

Speaking of Valve Pre-Amp, i ordered one of these 3 weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. 

Datasheet-ValvePhonoAmp.pdf (zinamp.co.uk)

2 x 12AX7 valves

1 x 12AU7 valve

A kit like this is good if you are getting into tube audio. But with just four 5 tag tag strips you can make a point to point preamp and save money for possibly a better result. I know easy for me to say I’ve been doing it for 50 years but once you do one you’ll realise how easy and cost effective it is. I’m happy to guide others if they want to have a go. But not as neat and compact as a PCB based one. 

68B049D0-7D93-44F1-92F6-6A513CCBC3CF.jpeg

In these days of earth leakage protection and double insulation,  have you ever wondered about just using a 6 or 12V transformer, and just rectifying the mains for the HT? 

Electrically I can't see the problem, and it's not as if Australia never allowed appliances without power transformers.   I remember a portable valve TV that didn't for example.   Not as dangerous as, for example,  240V fluoro tubes sitting in a metal case above open water of an aquarium!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

A kit like this is good if you are getting into tube audio. But with just four 5 tag tag strips you can make a point to point preamp and save money for possibly a better result. I know easy for me to say I’ve been doing it for 50 years but once you do one you’ll realise how easy and cost effective it is. I’m happy to guide others if they want to have a go. But not as neat and compact as a PCB based one. 

I resisted making a similar comment.   I prefer point-to-point.  Also, much easier to mod multiple times without wrecking a circuit board.   In fact, I was thinking of doing a point to point transistor amp.  They used to do this.  We had an old portable radio that used Mullard germanium transistors.  They were mounted in rubber grommets in a metal chassis, and wired in circuits using tagstrips.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

68B049D0-7D93-44F1-92F6-6A513CCBC3CF.jpeg

I just bought the PCB's because they were cheap and was wanting a nice tube pre-amp, i used to have one before but it was stolen out of my house with amungst other audio related devices i had :( 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

In these days of earth leakage protection and double insulation,  have you ever wondered about just using a 6 or 12V transformer, and just rectifying the mains for the HT? 

Electrically I can't see the problem, and it's not as if Australia never allowed appliances without power transformers.   I remember a portable valve TV that didn't for example.   Not as dangerous as, for example,  240V fluoro tubes sitting in a metal case above open water of an aquarium!!

You HAVE TO HAVE an isolation transformer. I tried it once, using raw 240V, with a tube power amp and nearly wiped out all my gear in one go. Not only that the safety switch with fire if you RCA negatives are earthed. Also I could have killed myself if no safety switch. Don’t try it. 

Ill never, ever, ever going to try it again. Just use two 300VAC step down trannies (cheap from Altronics or RS) one backwards. So 240 to 12 - 12 to (near) 240V. I run three tube power amps this way with no problems and you get good mains filtering. Dead safe too. 

4 minutes ago, itsparks said:

I just bought the PCB's because they were cheap and was wanting a nice tube pre-amp, i used to have one before but it was stolen out of my house with amungst other audio related devices i had :( 

The beauty of theses compact PCB based kits is you can assemble the PCB in about two stubbies or so. My way is a lot slower and involves more cursing. 

4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Ill never, ever, ever going to try it again. Just use two 300VAC step down trannies (cheap from Altronics or RS) one backwards. So 240 to 12 - 12 to (near) 240V. I run three tube power amps this way with no problems and you get good mains filtering. Dead safe too. 

The beauty of theses compact PCB based kits is you can assemble the PCB in about two stubbies or so. My way is a lot slower and involves more cursing. 

You're way sure looks good too tho ! Love some P2P action !! Now to find all the pieces for the kit and the hardest part, the transformer.. 

23 minutes ago, itsparks said:

I remember hearing about you having all your gear stolen. That was awful. Hope you are slowly getting back a decent system. My general setup is tube preamp and phono stage with SS power amp. I have four low power tube amps I swap in for the 500W SS amp for a few weeks at a time. Love my little 2W tubers which play loud with my speakers.

Tube power amps just seem to do “music” better. Of course I’m 100% DIY here over three seperate systems. Keep us informed of your upcoming build.

2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I remember hearing about you having all your gear stolen. That was awful. Hope you are slowly getting back a decent system. My general setup is tube preamp and phono stage with SS power amp. I have four low power tube amps I swap in for the 500W SS amp for a few weeks at a time. Love my little 2W tubers which play loud with my speakers.

Tube power amps just seem to do “music” better. Of course I’m 100% DIY here over three seperate systems. Keep us informed of your upcoming build.

ALL my amplifiers are DIY & pre-amps & speakers :P Only thing Store bought would be the CD player, and at one time that was all DIY.  Hpe one day to finish my Anthony Holton AV800 amplifier mono blocks :) 

• Like 1