DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

3 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I’m using stick down spacers as i’m terrible at drilling.

I have noted quite a bit of use of stick on cable tidies and spacers on here.  I have been distrustful of them long term.  However, glues have improved a lot.  Maybe I should try some as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have noted quite a bit of use of stick on cable tidies and spacers on here.  I have been distrustful of them long term.  However, glues have improved a lot.  Maybe I should try some as well.

I'll power it up and have a listen, if it's all good  I'll give it a clean in cleaning alcohol while consuming a $#!+ load of drinking alcohol and stick it down. Amp won't be moving around after that. Should be fine.

@itsparksWhat didn't you like about it? Did you compare with any other Class D amp? If so, which one?

Edited by misternavi

9 minutes ago, misternavi said:

@itsparksWhat didn't you like about it? Did you compare with any other Class D amp? If so, which one?

Id have to admit, I really am not a fan of Class D at all, i find they lack alot of oomph & decent sound. IMO they are good for driving subwoofers in the 60hz and down range, but thats my opinion.

The class d units you have, i found very weird design and stupid high priced for a Class D amp that has 150 watts MAX.  gAn fets are very new in the class d amplifiers and i find that Leo is taking advantage of this and jacking up the price for no reason, If you wait a few months the price will come down on other units where you won't be robbed alot of money for a simple device.

Again that's my 0.02$

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

On lighter boards etc and for cable securing I like them. For cct. brds they are electrically isolating, vibration absorbing (thick sticky pads) and if set up correctly easy to remove a board from if required. I’ve found once they have been down for even a short time it’s extremely hard to get them off. Not to be used were heat is involved even though they appear to be able to take some warmth without issues. 

3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

On lighter boards etc and for cable securing I like them. For cct. brds they are electrically isolating, vibration absorbing (thick sticky pads) and if set up correctly easy to remove a board from if required. I’ve found once they have been down for even a short time it’s extremely hard to get them off. Not to be used were heat is involved even though they appear to be able to take some warmth without issues. 

Those Class D modules don't get hot at all. He would be fine, IMO id still use stand off's though AND id make the wiring much neater and more organized with better flow.  :)

3 hours ago, itsparks said:

Id have to admit, I really am not a fan of Class D at all, i find they lack alot of oomph & decent sound. IMO they are good for driving subwoofers in the 60hz and down range, but thats my opinion.

The class d units you have, i found very weird design and stupid high priced for a Class D amp that has 150 watts MAX.  gAn fets are very new in the class d amplifiers and i find that Leo is taking advantage of this and jacking up the price for no reason, If you wait a few months the price will come down on other units where you won't be robbed alot of money for a simple device.

Again that's my 0.02$

Class D isn't for everyone. Some prefer pepsi some prefer Coke. 

I like the flavour Class D amps over other A/B amps I've had.

I got the Gan modules at 15% off (still the most I've ever paid for an amp), I haven't heard them before  but really wanted to try them out.  Hopefully it's better than my IcePower 125asx2 module which I like more than many other budget amps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misternavi said:

I got the Gan modules at 15% off (still the most I've ever paid for an amp), I haven't heard them before  but really wanted to try them out.  Hopefully it's better than my IcePower 125asx2 module which I like more than many other budget amps.

\

Yup, to each their own! I refuse to over pay for Audio,  the modules are way to over priced for what you get ! 

@murrmax love your work! got any WIP pics you can share? What ware they? PHL and RAAL? Are those amps in those wooden boxes?

Went HI-FI initially modelled up the cabinets utilising polygon and hexagon shapes; (no internal bracing needed) due to superior geometry. 3d cutting is doable but then there's the assembly logistics also. Not something you want to attempt without CNC..

154703811_ScreenShot2020-10-02at4_06_26pm.png.fe5af43895e1009f519c35b8c119a26d.png

839178255_ScreenShot2021-01-08at8_26_29pm.thumb.png.22712a0225a2ab0e819dbc244ee85857.png

Then decided it was going to get a bit expensive and construction without a workshop might be tricky for an unknown outcome, so decided to go Lo-fi in true DIY style!. I don't have access to a workshop so I had to get creative in true DIY spirit with only a jigsaw, orbital sander and trimmer (small router) power tools at hand. So after brain storming without caving into convention (i.e square box) I had an idea.. 

So got myself a used french oak barrel, cut it in half and went from there a fair bit of sweat, sanding and carbog came out with a pretty good result. I should have taken some pics on the way;  I thought of these as prototypes. Because of the structure of the barrel and metal bands no internal bracing needed, don't underestimate a curve:) 

197744446_ScreenShot2021-01-08at8_59_54pm.thumb.png.06e493fc7a07dcfba722d5cb0324d089.png

Using Raal 7020xr , PHL1120mid and PHL5021 bass driver - certainly happy with the results 

Using miniDSP 2x8,  

The amps are using LJM L12 a/b modules for mid/high, LJM L15 d module for bass class D - I'm kicking myself for selling the Yamaha P2201s I had now, need some more quality power behind those 15's 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, murrmax said:

Went HI-FI initially modelled up the cabinets utilising polygon and hexagon shapes; (no internal bracing needed) due to superior geometry. 3d cutting is doable but then there's the assembly logistics also. Not something you want to attempt without CNC..

Then decided it was going to get a bit expensive and construction without a workshop might be tricky for an unknown outcome, so decided to go Lo-fi in true DIY style!. I don't have access to a workshop so I had to get creative in true DIY spirit with only a jigsaw, orbital sander and trimmer (small router) power tools at hand. So after brain storming without caving into convention (i.e square box) I had an idea.. 

So got myself a used french oak barrel, cut it in half and went from there a fair bit of sweat, sanding and carbog came out with a pretty good result. I should have taken some pics on the way;  I thought of these as prototypes. Because of the structure of the barrel and metal bands no internal bracing needed, don't underestimate a curve:) 

197744446_ScreenShot2021-01-08at8_59_54pm.thumb.png.06e493fc7a07dcfba722d5cb0324d089.png

Using Raal 7020xr , PHL1120mid and PHL5021 bass driver - certainly happy with the results 

Using miniDSP 2x8,  

The amps are using LJM L12 a/b modules for mid/high, LJM L15 d module for bass class D - I'm kicking myself for selling the Yamaha P2201s I had now, need some more quality power behind those 15's 

And then you went and spoilt it all by making the bass a ported spkr.  :(

Andy

• Like 1

Andy

I did contemplate it, If I still had the Yamaha amps I would have them sealed, my current amplification won't cut it. 

I would go sealed with suitable amplification behind them.

Easy enough to plug the ports up and try though. 

On 08/01/2021 at 9:44 PM, andyr said:

Andy

Yep my sealed 12” woofers sound extra good I sealed boxes but porting has its place. Probably more boxes are pride than sealed.

Another Tripath 180W class D in a smart steel two tone enclosure. AmpFest Downunder (VI) has gone off again with some nice high power SS amps. A little gathering of myself and a SA mate and another SNA member to demo over two+ days our big builds for the year. And of course there is the AmpFest feast (two frozen pizzas). 

Hopefully @danw1million will chime in and show us his exquisite pure Class A high power builds which rocked Houston Control Central over two days. Also got more time with my 500W Holton build. 

We have to have the misery amp, the one the other party doesn’t know about. Mine was hidden and playing inside a cardboard box. It was the 180W Class D. It may have left three uninformed listeners guessing (one guess was a tube amp) but it entertained big time driving Altec horns and 12” woofer. 

The T4 board has been upgraded with Mundorf EVO oil caps on the input plus an extra 22,000uf of Mundorf audio grade cap (snubbed with 4.7uf and 0.1uf polies). Sounded warm and in complete bass control.

Now sold with donation. Called it Sortilege - mystery. 

FC74CCF8-F84A-4D45-9103-7B7DDB965055.jpeg

A80C2ECD-8591-4977-BFAF-88DD183A30D7.jpeg

E2FBF2AA-37B4-4D43-8C94-DED13838924B.jpeg

B11D00BD-5A5D-46D7-81FE-C4ED3EDE8430.jpeg

B8B1C37D-D3D5-4C61-960A-A3281EC54300.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 4

On 08/01/2021 at 1:12 PM, misternavi said:

I fired up the Starkrimson.
unbalanced input is a bit noisy (Could be cables inside the chassis might need to be shielded)

Compared to the IcePower 125ASX2 it isn't as warm sounding but definitely a lot more powerful sounding. Highs are more clean and detailed too.

I don't mind it. GREAT on heavy bass electronic music.

• Like 1

For 6 years I didn't really do much as Going through Divorce, unemployment etc Didn't give me a great deal of motivation,  But 2020/2021 has given me an opportunity to start a project I Have had on my mind since 2005 when I first laid eyes on them. "Them" is the amazing Sonus Faber Amati Homage..

Having built  few Pairs of rectangular boxes I wanted so badly to try a Curved tail Speaker Build.

Well I can safely say I have started and got through most of the unexpected hurdles one can expect when bending a square flat piece of wood into a Boat shaped masterpiece.

After contemplating this for many years I finally had the motivation, the time and the funds to attempt this challenge.

I must say I never expected so many Bloddy challenges building a speaker like this in a suburban garage, Nor did I expect the tools needed. ( any excuse to buy more tools. hahaha) so here is my project to date. I have forked out for brand new Scan Speak Discovery drivers to keep the cost as Low as I can get but worthy of a buld like this.

I must say also having installed the Peerless HDS (scan speak now) into my first build project I am so impressed with this tweeter.

So i bought some more and have this ready and primed for this project.

Attached are the project to date.

project 2021-1.jpg

project 2021-2.jpg

project 2021-3.jpg

project 2021-4.jpg

project 2021-5.jpg

project 2021-6.jpg

project 2021-7.jpg

project 2021-8.jpg

project 2021-9.jpg

project 2021-10.jpg

project 2021-11.jpg

• Like 11

I fired up the Starkrimson.
unbalanced input is a bit noisy (Could be cables inside the chassis might need to be shielded)

Compared to the IcePower 125ASX2 it isn't as warm sounding but definitely a lot more powerful sounding. Highs are more clean and detailed too.

I don't mind it. GREAT on heavy bass electronic music.

Are you bridging 125ASX2

From my experience a bridged 125 has pretty solid output, 

6 hours ago, murrmax said:

Are you bridging 125ASX2

From my experience a bridged 125 has pretty solid output, 

Bet y ou100%  he didn't tie input NEG to gnd, since he is using SE input :)   If he did that his input gain would double.

IMO he also needs to really clean up the wiring :( its all over the place and none of its shielded.

15 hours ago, chefsinc said:

For 6 years I didn't really do much as Going through Divorce, unemployment etc Didn't give me a great deal of motivation,  But 2020/2021 has given me an opportunity to start a project I Have had on my mind since 2005 when I first laid eyes on them. "Them" is the amazing Sonus Faber Amati Homage..

Having built  few Pairs of rectangular boxes I wanted so badly to try a Curved tail Speaker Build.

Well I can safely say I have started and got through most of the unexpected hurdles one can expect when bending a square flat piece of wood into a Boat shaped masterpiece.

After contemplating this for many years I finally had the motivation, the time and the funds to attempt this challenge.

I must say I never expected so many Bloddy challenges building a speaker like this in a suburban garage, Nor did I expect the tools needed. ( any excuse to buy more tools. hahaha) so here is my project to date. I have forked out for brand new Scan Speak Discovery drivers to keep the cost as Low as I can get but worthy of a buld like this.

I must say also having installed the Peerless HDS (scan speak now) into my first build project I am so impressed with this tweeter.

So i bought some more and have this ready and primed for this project.

Attached are the project to date.

project 2021-1.jpg

project 2021-2.jpg

project 2021-3.jpg

project 2021-4.jpg

project 2021-5.jpg

project 2021-6.jpg

project 2021-7.jpg

project 2021-8.jpg

project 2021-9.jpg

project 2021-10.jpg

project 2021-11.jpg

Wow for building a curved box, and wow wow for doing it in your home garage!   Looks great, we’ll done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I’m still recovering from dojg the curved pieces on my FLH... but for the whole cabinet and where it’s going to be visible as well.. that impressive.

any plans to imitate the SF style grille out of string type material? 

No I think I will leave without a grill.not a fan of those piano wire ones they have.

Actually this build has elements of the older ones and newer Amati. Tried to mix the models up a bit to keep it looking current.

Put my first 3 coats of clear on today. Tomorrow another 4 and next day another 5.

Will try to emulate the deep lacquered look they have.

IMG_20210113_120646_526.jpg

Edited by chefsinc
spelling
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, chefsinc said:

No I think I will leave without a grill.not a fan of those piano wire ones they have.

Actually this build has elements of the older ones and newer Amati. Tried to mix the models up a bit to keep it looking current.

Put my first 3 coats of clear on today. Tomorrow another 4 and next day another 5.

Will try to emulate the deep lacquered look they have.

IMG_20210113_120646_526.jpg

Very nice