DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

Guest Old Man Rubber
3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

The main thing I worried about was incompatibility between different glues.  Also, it will be much neater.

I recall now using a product, based on citrus oil, to remove some of the gummy glue, but then you need to clean off the oil with alcohol.

Acetone was the trick.  Most of the glue removal on the baskets was mechanical (pocket knife), cleaned up with acetone no problem.  The cones are polypropylene so I got a bit savage on them with the acetone and they cleaned up perfectly in the end.  Glue is supposed to take 4 hours but ain't nobody got time for that.  I'm listening now absolutely beautiful.

The little Janssons are nice, polite little speakers perfect for desktop listening.  Much more bass extension now with the correct drivers in them.  No noises (yay) so the suck-it-and-see method of centring the cones seems good enough.

20201103_181216.jpg

20201103_161542.jpg

Edited by Old Man Rubber
added picture

59 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Acetone was the trick.  Most of the glue removal on the baskets was mechanical (pocket knife), cleaned up with acetone no problem.  The cones are polypropylene so I got a bit savage on them with the acetone and they cleaned up perfectly in the end.  Glue is supposed to take 4 hours but ain't nobody got time for that.  I'm listening now absolutely beautiful.

The little Janssons are nice, polite little speakers perfect for desktop listening.  Much more bass extension now with the correct drivers in them.  No noises (yay) so the suck-it-and-see method of centring the cones seems good enough.

Great.  Very good job on the cleanup too.

Guest Old Man Rubber
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Great.  Very good job on the cleanup too.

It was good advice to do a proper clean, made the glue up an absolute doddle.  The kit itself was impressive although the glue sticks were confusing, I didn't realise I had to wind the end to push the glue through the brush.

Guest Old Man Rubber

Next question - what should I do with these?  I'm not sure they can be repaired the voice coils are blown.  I have been running these speakers without the crossover/tweeter although since I fixed the Janssons I can now have a proper crack at them.

Any suggestions for replacement tweeters?  They are some kind of fabric dome thing but anything I can adapt to the plastic face plate will work.  Speakers don't have to remain original they are completely had it cosmetically and repainted - original bass ports are missing so I ordered a couple from China in the hope that I can adapt them to the box dimensions.

Keen to get these going for the deck/outdoor stereo I will be putting outside which was the original plan for the Janssons but they are now too nice for that ?

20201104_100840.jpg

2 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Next question - what should I do with these?  I'm not sure they can be repaired the voice coils are blown.  I have been running these speakers without the crossover/tweeter although since I fixed the Janssons I can now have a proper crack at them.

Any suggestions for replacement tweeters?  They are some kind of fabric dome thing but anything I can adapt to the plastic face plate will work.  Speakers don't have to remain original they are completely had it cosmetically and repainted - original bass ports are missing so I ordered a couple from China in the hope that I can adapt them to the box dimensions.

Keen to get these going for the deck/outdoor stereo I will be putting outside which was the original plan for the Janssons but they are now too nice for that ?

20201104_100840.jpg

Do a Molly (“do yourself a favour”), bin them. Altronics has good tweeters off the shelf. And make/get a suitable Xovers. 

About 20 years ago I ordered two boxes of trannies from the Queensland toroid transformer company. Most were big potted high voltage trannies for tube amps and other were 5K 10W OPTs. I’ve used none of them at all. 

Can you see where there this may be an issue. They don’t place air gaps in the OPTs or they didn’t then. Even at very low powers they saturated. 

But The OPTs make good step trannies. After lots of stuffing around I can feed 12V into the 8ohm secondaries and get 274V out - unloaded. I need about 10mA in my 6SN7 tube preamps at about 250V for the HT. 

Loading the 274VAC up for 10mAs gave me 266VAC and once rectified a hell of a lot more. By adding a 12VAC 1A Tranni to the OPT setup I can now use up these well made OPTs in the PSs for tube headphone amps or preamps where high voltage low current is required. 

BDE76775-6439-4DC0-8B6E-1BD045FEE78B.jpeg

C5E92D63-652E-4D7D-A995-897D9AC11E6D.jpeg

• Like 2

Guest Old Man Rubber
25 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Loading the 274VAC up for 10mAs gave me 266VAC and once rectified a hell of a lot more. By adding a 12VAC 1A Tranni to the OPT setup I can now use up these well made OPTs in the PSs for tube headphone amps or preamps where high voltage low current is required. 

Is that...maths?  

Guest Old Man Rubber

Not strictly audio related - gluing a couple of timber cheeks to the sides of the DVD player I use as a CD player in my retro system.  A length of pre-oiled timber from bunnings, not quite the right height but now the CD player will be a similar width to the Marantz SR4000 and fits the vibe a bit better.  Still waiting for the SD4000 tape deck to return from my tech but will have to source some rack ears for it (or fake some up) to achieve a similar look.  Might timber slab it instead - it has rack ear mounts and would just use silicon as the glue so it was no damage/ removable.

In retrospect it seems a trifle silly but the different widths of the equipment annoyed me in a system that is supposed to be partly about the look and this will do that for a total cost of $8 while I wait for a suitable CD player to appear.

20201109_140538.jpg

I had some request earlier in the year for tube based phono stages. I have built a few in the past but this year was unable to find the Greek Radi0kit kits I was using. I found them. 

Also they make a 250V HT/12V regulated kit for low power tube projects. I can make these myself for the same price but takes nearly a week from scratch. These PS kits can be assembled in an afternoon. And not as fiddely. 

I have a tube MM phono stage but have ordered another phono kit also to go with one of these PSs. The MM kit has all high end parts and in the past have always sounded excellent. 

https://www.freebytes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=259_283&products_id=1674

https://www.freebytes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=259_283&products_id=1675

FF1EF5BB-FE5D-4713-9AE7-22D6D50AF155.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston

1 hour ago, muon* said:

The kit comes with high end parts? or you used high end parts?

I'm confused :unsure:

RK-318psd.jpg.16682964fc753ed57d1eb7c261b64698.jpg

The image say it all. It comes as in the image. You can buy the same kit with cheaper parts but not for me. You can see, dale, Wima, Nichicon   and CDE. Ceramic socket. Even the JJ tube is a real good match.

50 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

The image say it all. It comes as in the image. You can buy the same kit with cheaper parts but not for me. You can see, dale, Wima, Nichicon   and CDE. Ceramic socket. Even the JJ tube is a real good match.

I see :thumb:

On 08/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, mwhouston said:

Another mono Salt Cellar setup.

C42F85FB-6765-4E5A-9FBC-731079A102CA.jpeg

98072457-3122-4D22-BE3F-B533115D64B4.jpeg

Thoughts? How does the waveguide perform? 

I am currently considering hf108r, de250, Cdx1746 compression drivers. 

h6512, and faital waveguides. 

Looking at using a faital 12pr300, augmented with 15inch subs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

I’m not sure they have the presentation the Altec 511Bs had with the same drivers. But enjoyable and very efficient. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Grizaudio said:

I have the HF108r with the qsc clone waveguides and it's an amazing combination, crossed over to a pair of 15pr400's

The only downside is that I'm trying to cross them over at about 1100hz, and the faitals have a big impedance peak, so I have a pair of peerless dfm-2535 on their way from parts express. 

I could happily live with the sound of the hf108r in this setup, but I keep pursuing perfection

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, oohms said:

I have the HF108r with the qsc clone waveguides and it's an amazing combination, crossed over to a pair of 15pr400's

The only downside is that I'm trying to cross them over at about 1100hz, and the faitals have a big impedance peak, so I have a pair of peerless dfm-2535 on their way from parts express. 

I could happily live with the sound of the hf108r in this setup, but I keep pursuing perfection

I have been trying to locate some QSC clone waveguides. 
https://www.parts-express.com/b-52-phrn-1014-1-horn-10-x-14-bolt-on--299-2303

Not an easy task. They seem to be discontinued @ parts express. 

I would be very keen to hear about your impressions of the tympathy drivers. 

15 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

Also are you running an active dsp for crossover? 

Sad to hear about the waveguides being discontinued, I only got these a couple of months ago

I am running passive at the moment but have run them active before. This is the current prototype xo:

IMG_20201111_234508.thumb.jpg.2b5f54318b566c84147bbeb023d5a658.jpg

IMG_20201111_234528.thumb.jpg.831e6329d52dbeff24bec37a015004c9.jpg

A 180W Class D integrated with tube preamp for a fellow SNA member who lost more than his stereo in the last round of bush fires. Two inputs. 

Many days to build and waited a month for parts from OS but worth it when they play music at first on.

When testing I add 100ohm (or there abouts) resistors in series with the speakers for safety. And here brought up slow with a VARIAC. There was no need to worry. Strong bassy sound. 

B362B776-5AF5-497A-BC45-F589975E6FC1.jpeg

42FF332F-44FE-4033-AAAC-69B3EEDE6FBC.jpeg

4E7AAE28-9BFE-4D93-827E-BEAC46FE89C3.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 4