DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

31 minutes ago, SumonKabir said:

Finally DHT preamp is now complete?

4325902F-5EF1-403C-B0AA-34AD1F464DC3.jpeg

03C43E35-BA03-4475-B989-EE12AF21B1D6.jpeg

Great stuff Simon!

What is the rectifier - some old 5 pin British thing?  4v?  Certainly looks the goods!

When do we get a report on the sound of a 4P1L DHT pre?

33 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Not compete, but close enough for a listen tonight (finally)

04BC8C57-B5C0-434A-9BD8-51E5B74734AE.thumb.jpeg.ef813c7b4ef8c752c3797267df243a42.jpeg

What are the drivers used here please?  That's a lot of hours in those cabinets!

Jeez - all these people are gettin stuff built!

Here I am in hard lockdown in Olde Melbourne Town and well - I'm getting nothing done...

Well Done boys - keep building.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Great stuff Simon!

What is the rectifier - some old 5 pin British thing?  4v?  Certainly looks the goods!

When do we get a report on the sound of a 4P1L DHT pre?

Yes, Rectifier is Telefunken RGN1064 mesh plate. 4v. I am listening to this preamp for a month now. Not sure what to report. Vocal and piano is amazing. Very tight bass. Overall it feels like everything is so balanced. Something is very different to 6SN7 or ecc83. You need to try out yourself to find the magic.?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

What are the drivers used here please?  That's a lot of hours in those cabinets!

Jeez - all these people are gettin stuff built!

Here I am in hard lockdown in Olde Melbourne Town and well - I'm getting nothing done...

Well Done boys - keep building.

Thanks mate - yes I don’t know if I’d have started them if I had been aware of how time consuming it was..!

Drivers are Beyma 15AX38Nd. 15” coaxials. I’m pretending they’re Altec 604s it Tannoy MG15 because I don’t have the dough for either of those :D 

Argh it’s rough situation, I hope lockdown is an opportunity for you to enjoy the main part - the music! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SumonKabir said:

Yes, Rectifier is Telefunken RGN1064 mesh plate. 4v. I am listening to this preamp for a month now. Not sure what to report. Vocal and piano is amazing. Very tight bass. Overall it feels like everything is so balanced. Something is very different to 6SN7 or ecc83. You need to try out yourself to find the magic.?

An old Telefunken - nice.

What - you have had it going for a month - and only now you are telling us!

I have a 10Y DHT in my system.  I have mine setup to run 5v rectifiers.  So I can use 80, GZ30, GZ32, GZ34, 5AS4, 5R4, 5U4G, U52 etc.  The two standouts are the 80 and the GZ30.

Just this morning I fitted an octal socket with a couple of diodes fitted.  Wow - better detail and bass, but after 8hrs of it - it was splitting my head.  Of course the volts would have been higher and this might be the reason for the headsplitting as I found around 200v was the sweet spot in this configuration.

So back in with the old 80.   Ahhh - not as 'clean' and the bass is not so tight, but the music has that beautiful flow again. I have a couple of old globe 80s somewhere - I might see if I can find that and try it.

Octal SS rectifier.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Thanks mate - yes I don’t know if I’d have started them if I had been aware of how time consuming it was..!

Drivers are Beyma 15AX38Nd. 15” coaxials. I’m pretending they’re Altec 604s it Tannoy MG15 because I don’t have the dough for either of those :D 

Argh it’s rough situation, I hope lockdown is an opportunity for you to enjoy the main part - the music! 

This was my more simpler build of those drivers. Since sold. They are very impressive.

https://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2016/03/voxgrandious-beyma-high-efficiency-15.html

29 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

I have a 10Y DHT in my system.  I have mine setup to run 5v rectifiers.  So I can use 80, GZ30, GZ32, GZ34, 5AS4, 5R4, 5U4G, U52 etc.  The two standouts are the 80 and the GZ30.

Just this morning I fitted an octal socket with a couple of diodes fitted.  Wow - better detail and bass, but after 8hrs of it - it was splitting my head.  Of course the volts would have been higher and this might be the reason for the headsplitting as I found around 200v was the sweet spot in this configuration.

So back in with the old 80.   Ahhh - not as 'clean' and the bass is not so tight, but the music has that beautiful flow again. I have a couple of old globe 80s somewhere - I might see if I can find that and try it.

Octal SS rectifier.jpg

I tried 5y3, 5u4g and 5AR4. But Telefunken 1064 mesh sounds better in my ears. Or I like the glow in the dark?

EDB2926E-59A5-4446-9579-75A286372D51.jpeg

Edited by SumonKabir
Spelling mistake

33 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Octal SS rectifier.jpg

Solder looks so neat. Damn. Never thought about this option for trial. Would give it a go, I may have some Crees somewhere to try out. Not sure 400v rating though.

Edited by SumonKabir

2 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

Interesting. I wonder whether you could emulate the lossy tube rectifier by bridging the diodes with a suitably sized resistor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Yes, they’ve been so easy to use so thank you.

Interested if you can make a pair with the optimal Xover you mentioned though. 1st order 1100.?. When you have the time

Yes sure. Have some of the parts. I like to use the 4uf Russian PIO caps. Cheap and very effective. And wind my own chokes. I’ll PM you a quote. 

I built this many moons ago. It’s a chip based two stage preamp with volume and balance control. But moving mainly to tube preamps it has remained used for many years. Now only requiring a single input from a BT receiver in my system 2 (mainly used for background music) ive re-chipped it and put it in play. It takes the place of a very nice BoZ I’ve been using for some time.  Fortunately uses the same well filtered linear PS. 

Usually I use OPA2134s in anything with chips but occasionally LM833s. Looking through my chip draw I found a pair of TL072CNs and after looking at the spec sheets realise it can be dropped in where OPAs have been. 

The preamp is playing now and very surprised the preamp sounds bright and crisp. Glad I bought this out of retirement. A stack of gain and balance is easy to use and has a nice central wide spot. Extremely impressed with the sound through my DIY 6L6 SE UL tube power amp. 

Has anyone else had experience with the TL072CN chip? If so I’d like to know. I have no idea when I bought them or what I paid. I see they are only $1 each on RS. 

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/159243/STMICROELECTRONICS/TL072CN/15594/8/TL072CN.html

5C502BF2-9F3C-4D74-89A5-EFE759BF6444.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I've moved from large horns + wide range drivers to proper 1 inch compression drivers - now it is an all Faital setup with HF108R on those QSC clone waveguides and 15PR400 crossed at about 1.2khz

The treble is much better now and the woofers are capable of this crossover point, so the next step is integrating the horns into the cabinets

IMG_20200814_233033.thumb.jpg.3f70b084c9a972bedce5338b93ee6919.jpg

IMG_20200814_233141.thumb.jpg.bfa36dac6f5063aac9f63db38b6273cc.jpg

• Like 7

I was thinking on buying a 15PR400 to go with my Altec 511B horns and FaitalPro compression drivers same as yours. Currently using Beyma 12” as the woofer on a Salt Cellar mono system.  

There is a DJCity store not far from home which stock the driver.