DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

13 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Yes it is and there are two tubes which were a gift from a fellow builder who knew I had completed a 807 SE UL amp with external PS:- https://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2012/03/luciano-807-power-amp.html

These tubes, untested, have sat idle for many years. To keep the SC feel I wanted a power tube with a top cap. These freeby stunning looking 807 fit the bill. The 80 rec  tube and RCA 6SN7 I have also had for donkeys and I have a pair of each.

I have one 12A6 black metal tube I would like to build another SC wine box amp with. But need a good cct. I can use the same external Tranni brd. 

Looks like an interesting build never actually heard an 807 what do you liken them to???

• Like 1

I have built a number of triode amps but found SE UL amps had more punch even at two watts. But this was the Salt Cellar amp and had to have a top cap and triode strapped tube. It’s a veryimpressive looking tube.

I download the tracks they listen to  - Mississippi Fred McDowell the Allan Lowmax recordings. Single mic straight onto a tube tape recorder. 

On my main system this was sh!t and I could only bare half the tracks. After a warmup on the SC system I played the tracks which I up sample to 24/96 through a Pi server and Audiophonics DAC HAT.

Three tracks had me very emotional and in tears. First time for a very long time. No deep bass but in your face raw reproduction. Get the picture. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I’m listening to a 30yr old 807 valve amp at the moment, two output tubes per channel, push-pull topology and about 20w/ch ...sounds valvey, engaging, sweet and clear similar tone to an EL34, but maybe better? Cheers, Steve.

image.jpg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Steve M said:

I’m listening to a 30yr old 807 valve amp at the moment, two output tubes per channel, push-pull topology and about 20w/ch ...sounds valvey, engaging, sweet and clear similar tone to an EL34, but maybe better? Cheers, Steve.

image.jpg

If they are that old get them tested. They could be “Good” but may not be. Amp looks super good. 

22 hours ago, Steve M said:

image.jpg

God I love those VU meters... or any meters of that kind.

Nice toy!

Cheers,

Alberto

• Love 1

Have had some 0.1uf Miflex copper wax caps bypassing the 1uf Andyn copper caps on the output of my cd player.

caps.jpg.6610da2fe86fcdf2a9e51fadaf4ffd20.jpg

Just disconnected the Miflex and it has remove some now evident smearing that was a result of having the Miflex across the Andyn's.

Edit: sound stage is more correct too, previously with the miflex bypasses it was like two different ones with one over laying the other, so moving ya' head a little to left or right there were transitions.

Should have tried the Andyn's on there own in the first place.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, betocool said:

Hey Mark @mwhouston, what class D mono modules do you use? I'm looking for a pair of single ended mono class D modules and I was looking for the NCores, unfortunately they only have a differential input.

Cheers,

Alberto

hifimediy 150W mono boards or 180W stereo brd. Cheap and very good. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mwhouston said:

hifimediy 150W mono boards or 180W stereo brd. Cheap and very good. 

The 150W brds. “T3” Use a single rail DC supply. The 180W  brds. “T4” require +/-  or just a AC Tranni. The T4s have a high performance PS on brd.  Also the T4s have full speaker crowbar protection built in.. 

Thanks @mwhouston, I'm now considering 2x T3 Monos or 1x T4 stereo. I have a massive ~30V tranny and 47mF caps that I could use for the power supply, so that would work well. Just have to think about cap inrush current at switch on time.

Cheers,

Alberto

Some more photos of this diy speaker prototype designed by William Cowan from CowanAudio.   I'm at the stage of playing around with the DSP (najda) to get the right xo/levels/eq.    First taste of multientry horn and bipolar bass.   Quite promising so far. 

1302FA32-D8D3-4FEE-80C6-41E63CE8F3A9.jpeg

8ED9842D-348C-435E-8408-23D896733434.jpeg

74B86ABF-DFF8-4DEB-A28E-A59990E97FF9.jpeg

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, tuyen said:

Some more photos of this diy speaker prototype designed by William Cowan from CowanAudio.   I'm at the stage of playing around with the DSP (najda) to get the right xo/levels/eq.    First taste of multientry horn and bipolar bass.   Quite promising so far. 

1302FA32-D8D3-4FEE-80C6-41E63CE8F3A9.jpeg

8ED9842D-348C-435E-8408-23D896733434.jpeg

74B86ABF-DFF8-4DEB-A28E-A59990E97FF9.jpeg

That looks amazing! How long until you have to return it to its home planet? :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tuyen said:

Looks good mate, might have to pop round for a listen and drop the attenuators back.

• Like 2