DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

I just realised the schematic above has the wrong input Tranni.. The Hammonds have a 400ohm primary and a CTed secondary. My schematic is a redraw of the original where he used microphone trannies. I used the Nickel core Hammonds. 

Edited by mwhouston

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 1:08 PM, aussievintage said:

Hey, check this out - cheap device (can be had for less than $10)  that measures diodes, transistors, resistance, capacitance, inductance etc etc, and even sorts out the pinouts and displays the results graphically.

Google LCR-T4

616EUuSuk2L._AC_SL1010_.jpg

I have had one for a couple of years. Added  some leads to test bits that would not fit.

1426313737_DSC06599e.jpg.ecb089b278f7f02de50955a5c01319d0.jpg

Edited by btd
  • Like 2

Well thats VERY annoying, I stuffed up my calculation for the number of turns I needed and when I did the first test I had 244v not 150v!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea where I went wrong, so I had to remove 220 of the turns that I so carefully put on.

The first photo shows the plump and great looking 244v version and the second is the final voltage test, at least that parts done. Oh may aching back :)

Tren  244v.jpg

Tren 150v.jpg

• Like 3

Arrived today.  Only $10 even from Amazon au.     I love the fact that I get an email that it is arriving today, I check the tracking website on auspost and it tells me it has been delivered, so I go out to the letterbox, and there it is  !!!!

HiLetgo® LCR-T4 Transistor Tester LCD Display Diode Triode Capacitance ESR Meter Mos PNP NPN SCR Inductance DIY 9V 12864 LCD

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Finished inside just the XLR plug to go on the power cord to feed HT, Vf and grounds to the preamp. 

913FBA81-E4CF-43D7-86E8-E07B4ED38D9F.jpeg

I love how you can pick up little tricks.  I like how you use a couple of zip ties to stop the 240v cable pulling back through the grommet.

Recently I started (and now finished) an Elekit 8340. I went all out with the options:

- Takman resistors

- Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold Capacitors

- Alps potentiometer

- Lundahl output transformers

- EH KT88 and preamps tubes

Really fun to build, took me a big part of the week-end and a couple of evenings. And I finally plugged it in Monday evening, and I was very disappointed...! I was sure something was wrong so did all the checks (you have 46 different voltage checks on the PCV), and everything was fine. It was not that bad, but the little brother Elekit 8200 was doing everything better. Everything was blurry, bass were out of control (so boomy!), I felt like I was listening to a kids' end-of-the year show...

Then, I spent some time online to read reviews and found this one: https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/speakers/elekit-tu-8340vk-follow-up-reviewed-with-lundahl-transformers-and-triangle-speakers/. The reviewer is talking about a pretty long breaking in period for the transformers. And let's be honest, I'm not really into the "break in" periods (then again I was not into cables until I tried Mike Lenehan's foliflex. - Still not into digital cables, different story) but damn I wish I knew how much the sound was going to change so I could have set a couple of really sensitive mics in front of the speakers right then and now to compare. The 8200 sounded very good right "out of the box" (I had the stock transformers though). The sound slowly but surely got better with the 8340. The sound stage image got more precise, the violins don't make my ears bleed anymore, voices are really smooth and "present". Really precise yet relaxed sound. I'm really impressed now and I'd say this is an excellent amp, and brilliant value for the money! The bass are much better too, but still a bit boomy, I'll keep you updated in a week or so.

Have you ever experienced changes that big during breaking in period? I'd be keen to hear your thoughts. I might be crazy.

(Tracks used for critical listening sessions, I used tracks I know very well, and tried to keep the playlist short:
- The greatest video game music by London Philharmonic Orchestra: Super Mario Bros Theme

- The greatest video game music by London Philharmonic Orchestra: Tetris Theme (These two tracks are brilliant for bass tightness test)

- The Eagles - Hell freezes over: Hotel California 

-  Bach - Chaconne, Partita No. 2 BWV 1004  by Hilary Hahn

-  Florence and the Machine - MTV Unplugged: Dogs days are over)

20200529_103009.thumb.jpg.0bd330b802767da54ea3097561d974dd.jpg20200530_183912.thumb.jpg.c78003370d964c5fc3b934a393840eb7.jpg20200602_122517.thumb.jpg.3f9e2df2a86a21f4c7a64de0cb58076d.jpg20200602_122513.thumb.jpg.6d1ccc1e8890a61f53b51e4d3e60b94b.jpg20200602_130950.thumb.jpg.90449a18b5ae145911b1af43e2e611ed.jpg20200602_162018.thumb.jpg.9fb8fdfc4f6e7328422b795b7225d6d4.jpg

Edited by JulesOz
  • Like 12

Dang!

I ordered an Oatley RIAA Tube Kit the other day (http://oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=936) and as luck would have it, they weren't able to deliver it and refunded me. I believe @mwhouston you built one of them? That's what the Internet says anyway.

Now I'm in between should I wait for them to be in stock (should be a few weeks) or do I get Rod Elliot's P06?

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betocool said:

Dang!

I ordered an Oatley RIAA Tube Kit the other day (http://oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=936) and as luck would have it, they weren't able to deliver it and refunded me. I believe @mwhouston you built one of them? That's what the Internet says anyway.

Now I'm in between should I wait for them to be in stock (should be a few weeks) or do I get Rod Elliot's P06?

Cheers,

Alberto

Never built this one. A few others but not this one. The others got good reviews. 

On 27/05/2020 at 11:25 AM, Batty said:

I'm looking for tips on how to paint MDF speakers, atm I am sanding them to level all the joints, then I assume I need to prime them before painting, I'm thinking of a satin finish.

But as I have not done much serion painting I was looking for advise on how many coats and how far to sand back between coats, even how long to allow the paint tod dry before sanding back.

TIA for any help.

Hey Batty, have ya got a compressor and spray gun?

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

Hey Batty, have ya got a compressor and spray gun?

No Lazz

I will be doing it the worst way with spray cans.

Edited by Batty

56 minutes ago, Batty said:

No Lazz

I will be doing it the worst way with spray cans.

eesh. Do you have a workshop nearby that you can take it to that does 2 pac? A cabinet maker or panel beater or something like that? There’ll be a cost and it’s not strictly diy but it’s real hard to get a clean finish on mdf and especially with a spray can. Hardest part is the glue joins take the colour differently to the rest. It’d be a shame to end up with a speaker that you love to listen to but hate to look at :) 

Maybe you’re awesome with a spray can but I would have real strong reservations about doing it that way

First puzzle solved in my new Holton build. Purchased the solid state relays but unfortunately the mounting holes and position doesn't work with my terminals or case so have instead decided to mount directly to the amplifier boards instead by soldering a spade (that I had flared out on the pad side) to the amp input on the protection module and using some old  solid core inductor wiring to the negitive side onf the amp. module.

20200606_134936.thumb.jpg.ba0507c21723af0602d63c85bbd8211b.jpg

• Like 1

After building a pin F5 and Holton amp for others I’ve gong to build one of each for myself. I have most of the parts for the F5 and what I dont have has been ordered.

Here is the mourning for the rectification and smothering. Yet to soldered to a bus bar underneath. 80,000uf of 40V caps and 10A bridge. F5 brds have been populated. Waiting HS. 

9D9E16AC-40DA-4E8A-AF25-EC3A63E5BF6D.jpeg

3 hours ago, betocool said:

Isn't this your handiwork?

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6418-Tube-Phono-Preamp-Kit/

Cheers,

Alberto

Yes this one is the first of the phono stage they came up with. It use a SMPS on board. I’m pretty sure the latest one is different or is it a different SMPS. 

Also see the second one where I used a linear PS. This preamp got some good reviews from a few. 

Edited by mwhouston

Doug,   you could use those transistor mounting clips (or actually the bar version from Jaycar, etc) with the hole in the middle - you only need 4 holes per heatsink then for the 8 fets - it's a simpler way to mount the single bridge diodes on heatsinks too.

There's also some specific spring clips from Mouser, RS, etc that apply a more constant pressure on the transistor case/device - these also come in dual clips (can easily cut them apart) but do need 1 hole per transistor for accurate control of spring clip's tension

These save worrying about drilling/tapping accurate vertical holes for the retaining screws, which can be a real PIA!

• Like 1